Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpeedEDIT?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SpeedEDIT?

Guys and gals,

I'm still a fan of SpeedEDIT.. The more editors I try, the more I live the SE workflow!

What editors are you guys using and what are SpeedEDIT's strengths and weaknesses?
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

SpeedEDIT's major weakness is it's no longer being produced for retail. The only other weakness I notice is the lack of updated file formats that can be rendered.

I love everything else about the program. Our school system still uses SpeedEDIT 2.5 on 20 laptops and 4 desktop computers that have the license.

We are still hanging on and haven’t switched programs yet. Truth be told, we don’t want to make a move to a different program. If an update becomes available, we are buying.

Philip, use your powers to bring SpeedEDIT back!

Shh.. I'm working on a secret plan.. One of the problems is the state of the editing industry.. It's rapidly becoming free at this point.. Trying to see if there is an opportunity here..
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    [email protected]

@PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

I have two seats of SE 2.5 in my home studio. I can sit a newbie in front of this program and have them editing in an evening. Although other edit programs are also on my computer, I have little need for them. SE does it easier and faster.
    The same drawbacks are noted above. It needs updated codec support. More presets and preset sharing.
    If it came out at a low price, it would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post
    Shh.. I'm working on a secret plan.. One of the problems is the state of the editing industry.. It's rapidly becoming free at this point.. Trying to see if there is an opportunity here..

Free? Where is the free editing world of which you speak? SE should never be free. We are willing to pay. We just need it to be available. Maybe you can acquire a compositor and bundle it? Pleaaaaseeeee.

I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post

Free? Where is the free editing world of which you speak? SE should never be free. We are willing to pay. We just need it to be available. Maybe you can acquire a compositor and bundle it? Pleaaaaseeeee.

I need it.

Newbie Member
    Love the secret plan possibility. What a great editor'
    The version I have is Speededit 2.

I am editing my project in in 1080 HD as I always do.(for years) Before today I could render my project in AVI uncompressed 422 or QuickTime or QT H264 or multiple other formats with no problem.

The problem that I am having as of today is that all those options seem to have disappeared. When I go to the render page and try to render the only option that comes up is WMV.

It's seems all the codecs disappeared.

Desperate for answer.

I have it in an old computer, and still saves the day once in time, but I need more power and tried on a new system, but it asks for the serial number (that I don't have anymore), tried on the NT page in my software and used one of the old serials noted there, but it won't let me.... any ideas?
    I heard SE it's free now, but it doesn't seems to be that way
    I need to edit a lot of HD clips of LW animation, and it's not possible in my older system, anyone knows what to do?
    i7/64bits/8GB RAM/Win10/basic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Fernee View Post
    ... I need more power and tried on a new system, but it asks for the serial number (that I don't have anymore), tried on the NT page in my software and used one of the old serials noted there, but it won't let me.... any ideas?
    Installing on a different computer would naturally require a new unlock code. I don't know whether CS is still able to generate these or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernee View Post
    I heard SE it's free now, but it doesn't seems to be that way
    That's not entirely correct. SE can be installed and used free of charge on at least some TriCasters, but it was never freely supplied apart from that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Still using SE 2.5. I bought HitFilm as a companion compositor (which I recommend BTW) and if I have to edit in 4K, I have to use HitFilm.

But . . . . I can drag a 4K .mov file from my GH4 onto the SE timeline and SE faithfully scales to 50% and I can proceed to edit 4K (output to 1080) in SE!

Pretty handy for a program this long in the tooth.

Good feedback!

Yeah... free is not a good business model.. HA!
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    [email protected]

@PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Just Tryin' To Help...
    I'm pretty sure I've recently seen, and replied to, a similar post from you Phillip, but in the interest of supporting the replies above - I use two SE seats, in exclusion of any other editor, and also want to see it given a second life! My primary request continues to be to bring back audio output via FireWire to the stand-alone version so I can upgrade back to the latest version on my laptop editor. Integrated compositing would also be very welcome. Thank you for asking.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Scott,

Dumb question.. What is your firewire workflow? I personally haven't used Firewire in many years.
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    [email protected]

@PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Just Tryin' To Help...
    FireWire is the only A/V output from my laptop. When I want to record direct to DVD on my DVD recorder (or to it's hard drive) I run a FireWire cable direct from the laptop to the recorder and play the project out of SE in realtime. Worked fine up until SE v2.5 or 2.6, but then lost the capability to also send the audio out with the video (video would output, but not audio), so had to revert back to SE 2.1 to do it. A real pain when I don't need fancy or complex DVD menus created through software and then rendered to a master DVD burned on the laptop.
    Last edited by Scott Bates; 09-22-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Multimedia Magician
    Actually, totally give it away for free. Saturate the market with it. Liken it to the freemium model on mobile devices. Seriously.. hear me out...

1. Give it away. You already have a finished product. Polish it up and get it into everyone's hands.

2. Make it easy to buy bells and whistles from within the program. New FX, extra features, etc. It doesn't even have to be expensive. I'd rather sell 100,000 $5 items, than 10 $200 items.

3. Cross promote. Make it easy for third party developers to tie into SE2. You can even license the ability to them.

Make your editor so prevalent that every production company is using it, because every communications student is learning on SE2.

I've been editing for 25 years. This is the best UI I've ever worked with. There are a lot of other people on here who feel the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast