Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratcheting animation?

Ratcheting animation?

How would one go about animating a socket wrench nodally or otherwise? Basically, I want an object to accumulate anothers positive rotation. So as the wrench body rotates forward the socket rotates, then as the wrench rotates back to center I want the socket to counter-act that rotation and stay 'stationary'. I can't find a way besides hand keying it and I need this to be a rig for several scenes.

You could have one null that is the parent for the body and the socket and then rotate the body on its own for the counter rotation. It's not an automatic rig setup but it would work.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Use Houdini... it has proper tools for this type of thing, LW does not. Hopefully we get a trigger or accumulate node of some sort in LW 20??. I can only think of one way to do it in LW now (without coding and automatically) and that is with dp speed/time node. I would be very interested if someones else knows another way to set this up automatically with current tools.

One way to control all this with a single null would be to tie the rotation of everything to one channel of an item and then the other rotation to a different channel of the same item. So you could use bank to rotate the entire object and then pitch to rotate just the handle item. This way you're only animating with one object versus switching between objects. It would make editing timing easier in the GE too since you're just working with one object.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    One way to control all this with a single null would be to tie the rotation of everything to one channel of an item and then the other rotation to a different channel of the same item. So you could use bank to rotate the entire object and then pitch to rotate just the handle item. This way you're only animating with one object versus switching between objects. It would make editing timing easier in the GE too since you're just working with one object.
    That is a good alternative... And probably to most simple to deal with with current tools.
    If you really want to get creative you may be able to use the rotation of you control to effect the power of a wind that is blowing a particle. Then use the particle position to drive your ratchet. You will most likely have to do some remapping of values to get exact results. I think it could work, it is a hack though, and we should have tools for this... HINT HINT!

Also, a ratcheting mechanism is not very complex... You may be able to do this with bullet.

I just used motion mixer and animated it so that when it looks back it appears like its in the same position... works well enough but I really wish there were a way to add absolute value over time or something.

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    I just used motion mixer and animated it so that when it looks back it appears like its in the same position... works well enough but I really wish there were a way to add absolute value over time or something.
    I cant believe it, but I just set up the particle/wind version, and it works surprisingly well, and is not very complex at all. I will post a quick vid. Even if you dont use it... This type of thing comes up very often, so someone else may find it useful. I really am surprised that this works as well as it does. Ill post the vid in a min.
    Last edited by Prince Charming; 09-17-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Here is the set up...

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    Here is the set up...
    Ha! That's brilliant. I will definitely use this, very cool!

Just so you know, in case you didnt already. You will also need to use "dp particle info" to get the particle z pos.

This old program amazes me every day... You can teach an old dog new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    This is so simple it's not worth scripting. Just animate the ratchet handle rotating heading, in my example, from 0 to 90 in 30 frames then back to 0 on frame 60. In the graph editor set Post Behavior for the heading to Repeat. Then animate the socket with the same heading rotation from 0 to 90 degrees at frame 30 then hold at 90 degrees on frame 60 then set Post Behavior in the bottom of the Graph editor to Offset Repeat as in the image below. It acts as an accumulator of the previous rotation and keeps adding to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OffsetRepeat.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	134502

Quote Originally Posted by js33 View Post
    This is so simple it's not worth scripting. Just animate the ratchet handle rotating heading, in my example, from 0 to 90 in 30 frames then back to 0 on frame 60. In the graph editor set Post Behavior for the heading to Repeat. Then animate the socket with the same heading rotation from 0 to 90 degrees at frame 30 then hold at 90 degrees on frame 60 then set Post Behavior in the bottom of the Graph editor to Offset Repeat as in the image below. It acts as an accumulator of the previous rotation and keeps adding to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OffsetRepeat.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	134502

The problem with that method is that if you dont use the exact same rotation every time it does not work. You cant use that method to accumulate many different values, only the same one over and over. Other apps have tools for this type of thing.
    Last edited by Prince Charming; 09-18-2016 at 01:58 AM.

That's true but it is dead simple to setup. I guess it just depends on what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by js33 View Post
    That's true but it is dead simple to setup. I guess it just depends on what you need.
    That is the easiest way, I assumed there was a reason he could not use that method. If he only has to repeat the exact same motion that is the best way. I still would like some tools for this type of thing though. Is is one area that LW is lacking. Basically, LWs curve/envelope processing is a weak spot. These type of tools would also help a lot with dealing with audio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast