Thread: Tricaster 460 output mapping...?

Tricaster 460 output mapping...?

Hi there. Looking into Newtek to outfit a new studio for a nonprofit. One of the things I really need is independent outputs to feed different monitors. How many actual video outputs does the 460 have, and are they selectable? For example, can I have the main output record the show but some other output send a DDR into an on-set monitor?

Thanks in advance -

A 460 running AE2 has 4 'mixed' outputs - two of which are sent to the backplate HD-SDI and HD-Component connectors, and one by HDMI. All four are available across the network as NDI sources. In addition, there are two 'Display' ports that can mirror a mixed output, or be assigned to show any single 'un-mixed' Switcher source. Finally, there is the independent Multiview output, which can show various monitoring layouts, including any single source.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks for the reply! So how does one designate an output? Can it be on buttons on the switcher panel, or an entire M/E?

Also, newbie question - AE in my world means After Effects. I assume you mean Advanced Edition. Without AE2, what is the output situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A Johnson View Post
    So how does one designate an output? Can it be on buttons on the switcher panel, or an entire M/E?
    Outputs are configured, not surprisingly, in the Output configuration panel - using drop down menus. An M/E can be directly assigned to the first two outputs in standard edition, and by cloning one of those primary outputs on the others. (I may not be following the thrust of your question properly, sorry.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A Johnson View Post
    Also, newbie question - AE in my world means After Effects. I assume you mean Advanced Edition. Without AE2, what is the output situation?
    AE means After Effects most places - but here it can go either way depending on the context. Standard edition is similar in most respects to what I wrote about AE, but somewhat less flexible in the individual source options for various outputs. For example, in AE I can directly assign an M/E to Output 3. In SE, the only way to send an M/E to output 3 is by assigning it to either Output 1 or 2 first. Likewise, SE does not offer full audio matrix routing. You might be able to find a way to configure 4 mix minuses, but it will not be as straightforward. Also, and perhaps more important, you're only going to have two NDI inputs with SE. You're going to want at least 4 for use with a VS-4000.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Where is Outputs 3 located?

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    A 460 running AE2 has 4 'mixed' outputs - two of which are sent to the backplate HD-SDI and HD-Component connectors, and one by HDMI. All four are available across the network as NDI sources. In addition, there are two 'Display' ports that can mirror a mixed output, or be assigned to show any single 'un-mixed' Switcher source. Finally, there is the independent Multiview output, which can show various monitoring layouts, including any single source.
    4 mixed outputs ?

You mention 2 SDI and 1 HDMI. Where is the the 3rd physical output on the back plate?

Quote Originally Posted by ronsatter View Post
    You mention 2 SDI and 1 HDMI. Where is the the 3rd physical output on the back plate?
    I'm not 100% sure I am following your question, but the HDMI output is marked in AE2's Hardware Config>Output tab by an HDMI icon in the Type column, and on the backplane - at least on my unit - the HDMI port in the output connection group is clearly labeled.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator