Thread: A new query about older tech

A new query about older tech

We're running a standard 460. I have not, up to now, needed or used the NET inputs, but I have a project coming where I will want to place a PowerPoint in a virtual set monitor.

Is it as simple as downloading iVGA on the laptop, connecting from laptop to 460 via CAT5, running iVGA, and setting TriCaster NET1 to "receive"? Will I need to set up anything with iVGA, or does it simply run in the background on the laptop?

I understand iVGA may require some firewall ports to be opened upon install.
    Tricaster 460
    HD-SDI over coax
    JVC 890 x 2
    Panasonic 370 x 1

Beyond connecting two machines with network cable, they also have to be set up to communicate with one another. A Windows thing, nothing TriCaster-specific.

Once that is done, forget about iVGA, that is old tech! I would install the free NDI Tools Pack on the laptop and use NDI, works much better than iVGA. Your NET inputs will accept NDI sources, but note that you will need a recent version of TriCaster software installed that supports NDI.

You will run the NDI Scan Converter app on the laptop. Nice thing about NDI is that it sends out individual NDI video streams for each APP you are running, so not just a screen shot, rather you can send out CONTENT from apps such as running Acrobat Reader and just the document shows up over NDI, no Windows desktop junk in the background/edges. This allows one laptop to send out multiple NDI streams. Note that without AE on the TriCaster, then you are limited to viewing two NDI sources at a time using NET1 and NET2.

Using this link, scroll down and find NDI Tools Pack - http://newtek.com/ndi/applications.html

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Thanks Jeff, but I do not think I can use NDI with my current version, and it is a company machine, so I cannot update whenever/however I like. At least for now, I will have to settle for iVGA. I will be doing a hard connect between the laptop and the TriCaster. What else will I need to do at that point?
    Tricaster 460
    HD-SDI over coax
    JVC 890 x 2
    Panasonic 370 x 1

iVGA should just work without jumping through hoops. Follow directions for using iVGA. I should be more specific, you'll get better results with iVGA PRO version.

Thanks

Jeff

If you have a TriCaster 460, all you need is Advanced Edition and you will be ready for NDI awesomeness!
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Just to avoid confusion, as has been mentioned elsewhere in the forums recently, the 2-5 standard edition update also supports NDI, though not as thoroughly as AE.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Echoing jeff and steve as above + + Net1 and Net2 are both NDI on the recent software releases, go register & download NDI tools, run NDI scan converter on the PC your using for PP and select the powerpoint window within scan converters 'right click' menu. Now select that as source in Net1 or Net2. Simples....
    Last edited by AElli; 09-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.