Thread: Tricaster Home Studio Design

Tricaster Home Studio Design

I've not seen this discussed before, probably because every situation is unique, however I decided to sell my house to search for another, where I could plug into high speed broadband and build a custom Tricaster studio.

As luck would have it, our offer was accepted last weekend and in a few weeks I hope to make the move.

What I'm looking for is advice/help from anyone who has build their home workplace themselves, so practical tips or ideas to consider, when planning in advance for a flexible working area, which will incorporate equipment and background to get the most out of it.

I am fortunate in being able to build a sound proof timber garden studio and have the space for a dedicated studio of approximately, 5m (16 feet) square. With an external covered veranda. Something along these lines > http://www.boothsgardenstudios.co.uk.../695Rakesh.jpg

I doubt if I'll have space for a Gallery, so the equipment TC-40 and TC-Mini 4i, plus the usual 4 cameras, a few laptops, at least 6 monitors will all be housed in the same space. All the noisy hardware will possibly be in their on little mini sound proof booth.

This is a self operated studio and I'll have the midi and remote control surfaces recessed into my desk, along with the audio mixing board.

I'll be filming against green screen curtain which will pull back to reveal a 'natural' wall, I'll have cameras into a 'sofa/chair' corner for interviews and guests and I intend to film out on the veranda (inside and out) in at least a 180 degree arc of the central camera position.

Currently I am considering using a raised platform/floor of a couple of inches to allow cable ducking to go under the floor, both power and signal. Plus additional ducking around the lower skirting, for video, Cat5 and power.

To keep the presenting areas as clear as possible, I'm considering having a central console, in the middle of the room (but close to one end for max camera sweep) from which hangs, program out monitors, facing all directions, camera support, and a large desktop monitor which is easily seen from my desk.

In the same area I am considering the main light and fill lights, other ceiling hanging lights for the green screen or general background lighting will be recessed into the ceiling area.

Main presenting Audio will be radio mics, and an XLR snake will be in place when using the corner 'interview' area or running the cameras outside to the veranda.

Hunting around the internet for ideas or projects hasn't really come up with much in relation to video studios. There's plenty relating to recording studios and I have built a small one of these before, so have a little experience of some of the issues.

I realise I am fortunate here, but this is my last long shot at getting the best possible studio out of the space and money I have available. Does anyone have and links to videos, or blogs where this kind of project has been undertaken, which could help with the planning or practical design?

Or maybe suggestions of what you wish you had thought about or considered before you built something similar yourself?

I may record this adventure and release it once the work is done. It would make a nice little video project to help others in the same position later.

The studiotech.TV guys did a couple studio tours on YouTube, covering differing setups over the last few yrs.... You might gain something watching their videos...

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...OhOAV6Mpk5Ol6r

A.

Many thanks A.

Yes Ive been to see Mark at Studio Tech and had a good look at his set up, which has helped.

I'm always open to advice from others though, especially as technology keeps moving forward. in 18 months I've gone from RGB, to HDMI to Cat5.

So I am trying to consider in my planning that everything has to be functional but flexible, so access to cables is vital and a studio layout which allows swift set alteration in a small place, would be cool.

Thank again though. I'll check out those videos again. They are good reminder.

You may have already read this article about a home broadcast studio:

http://blog.newtek.com/blog/2016/03/...rom-geoff-fox/

Cheers,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Thanks Fritz, that is just the kind of video I'm looking for.

Picking up tips all the time

Dear Mr. Podcast Bob

I read this post with interest and was wondering what you ended up doing.... do you mind telling us and even possibly showing us a few pictures????

I am in the same boat and am starting a nearly identical project. Maybe there will be more than one studio based on the "Podcast Bob" design!!!!

Thanking I hope in advance,

Rob

I have been broadcasting on-air from home over two years. How can I help?

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    You may have already read this article about a home broadcast studio:

http://blog.newtek.com/blog/2016/03/...rom-geoff-fox/

Cheers,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications