Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these able to run headless?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week

Are these able to run headless?

Are these able to run completely headless? not only just headless but can they be controlled via a webpage/software versus having to lug yet another monitor, keyboard, mouse, small child to hold the monitor, and a chair to sit on just to be able to administer the Input module?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I'm going to double-check before providing a reply, Jef - not ignoring you.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

They should run headless just fine. That said, do not forget that they all can operate as a multiviewer ... So, if you have a Mix engine and 3 Studio inputs, then you can drive 10 local monitors in your truck (4 off the main unit, two of each input box). In other words, putting together a truck that gives you instant viewing of literally everything is easy.

Andrew

Does the input box have an output for the program output of our Tricaster. For example, can I take 4 cams in and give Talent the program video?
    Gabe Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
    Does the input box have an output for the program output of our Tricaster. For example, can I take 4 cams in and give Talent the program video?
    Yes. It has NDI return feed support. It also supports network tally, scopes (so you can have an operator to shade the cameras), audio settings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    Yes. It has NDI return feed support. It also supports network tally, scopes (so you can have an operator to shade the cameras), audio settings, etc...
    That's so great! Should be a great addition to our TC Mini, and a way to get our Tricaster out of the gym bleachers and into a nice control room :-). Now only to get the pricing and the funding ;-).
    Gabe Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    They should run headless just fine. That said, do not forget that they all can operate as a multiviewer ... So, if you have a Mix engine and 3 Studio inputs, then you can drive 10 local monitors in your truck (4 off the main unit, two of each input box). In other words, putting together a truck that gives you instant viewing of literally everything is easy.

Andrew
    Thanks for expanding Andrew. I was thinking more so headless in a remote environment. Drop one of these in a stadium or eight ballrooms down the hall then jump on the network there. Like drop box, cable to it, power up, and administer remotely from master control. Would something like that be feasible?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

When I saw these being announced, I also immediatly started to think along these same lines: use them headless as a dropbox near the stage. Run CAT to a TC Mini Advanced Edition. Done. And, like this, at the stage you can connect 4 cams, AND give PGM out back to projector or confidence monitor for your talent?

Quote Originally Posted by jandw View Post
    \ And, like this, at the stage you can connect 4 cams, AND give PGM out back to projector or confidence monitor for your talent?
    Well, of course if you're running a display out of the unit, it's not exactly headless, right?

Anyway, the program return monitor can be seen in two displays. On the primary monitor, when in use, it is available as the largest of five viewports, as shown in the attached image. On a second monitor, it can be shown *fullscreen. Here's a grab of the former view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMC1 IN.01.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	134371

* The 'fullscreen' view retains a slim toolbar at the bottom of the screen which provides overlay options, including safe area.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi,
    Hopefully this question is on-topic enough, does NDI technology make it ever feasible to run the Tricaster itself headless? I'd love to be able to control it from my primary desktop when I'm in the office, and set it up with dedicated attached monitor keyboard etc on site........

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NDI really has nothing to do with operating a TriCaster remotely. The new IP series has an ethernet connected control panel and is designed to be decentralized. An IP KVM gives you the ability to run either system remotely. We recommend the Infinity Series from Adder http://us.adder.com/products/adderli...nity-dual-2020.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

JandW, I believe we are on the same page.

Headless to us means...

Place the Input module at the stage
    Plug in the inputs
    Plug in the power
    Plug in the network
    Power up the unit

So does this mean it completely boots up and starts transmitting the NDI goodness to the network attached Mix engine or TriCaster? Without having to see the boot sequence and choose anything. Headless = No Keyboard, Mouse, or Monitor attached. Just a simple conversion box.

I do understand that the unit can do more with the HDMI monitor output. That is great to know and a welcome addition. I just want to be sure it can do the above without having that monitor attached. Racked in a rack, tucked under a stage, out of sight and out of mind.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Yes once you accept the Eula it can be 100% headless. It has auto detect on the SDI Inputs and as soon as it sees signal it starts transmitting NDI.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    Yes once you accept the Eula it can be 100% headless. It has auto detect on the SDI Inputs and as soon as it sees signal it starts transmitting NDI.
    BOOM There it is! Thanks Zane. I believe there was a bit of confusion in all this new stuff.

That will work perfectly for a client of mine. Now to place the order for 4 of them!
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

These can't really be run headless if you ever want to change the input/output configurations, or record settings, or video settings. You can pretty much only start and stop recording, as well as grab stills from the web interface.

It does run pretty well with a generic VNC server though, I suggest that if you want to run it headless.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast