Thread: Linear Curves that will work with Rail extrude, Motion Paths and Spline Control

Linear Curves that will work with Rail extrude, Motion Paths and Spline Control

Hi Everyone, For those of you that are not aware It turns out in lightwave you supposedly can't create linear curves well not until now you couldn't. I've come up with a way to create them in any version of lightwave. Here is the video showing linear curves being created in modeler. At the first of the video I show you what kind of curves you usually get with lightwave modeler using different drawing tools. I'd like to see who can figure out how this is being done. If not just let me know in the comments below and I will reveal my technique. Just to note these curves can be used with the rail extrude and the object you are railing won't disappear or get deleted. It also can be used with motion paths in layout and spline controls as well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Hmm ..tricky, though there are px bezier that allows to draw straight curves and to be rail extruded, so your trick is perhaps not really needed
    I would suspect you simply copy and paste the points, so get two points in the same position, then make a straight curve from that, but that wonīt work with just that to rail extrude it.

You could perhaps have been using connect tool on the curve...just speed tested some, but I am not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Hmm ..tricky, though there are px bezier that allows to draw straight curves and to be rail extruded, so your trick is perhaps not really needed
    I would suspect you simply copy and paste the points, so get two points in the same position, then make a straight curve from that, but that wonīt work with just that to rail extrude it.

You could perhaps have been using connect tool on the curve...just speed tested some, but I am not there yet.
    Cool never used px bezier before. Yeah doing the way you suggested won't rail extrude, My way rail extrudes and lots more
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

px bezier is great but it doesn't create straight curves from what I can see. It creates straight lines but they are all separate lines and seperate curves so it would be no good for motion paths or spline controls etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	px-bezier.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	134155

Here you can see it rail extrudes fine, no px-bezier and no LWCAD

Name:	rail_extrude_linear_curves.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	134156
    Last edited by jboudreau; 08-24-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by jboudreau View Post
    px bezier is great but it doesn't create straight curves from what I can see. It creates straight lines but they are all separate lines and seperate curves so it would be no good for motion paths or spline controls etc.

Name:	px-bezier.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	134155

Here you can see it rail extrudes fine, no px-bezier and no LWCAD

Name:	rail_extrude_linear_curves.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	134156
    you are correct but not quite unless you mentioned it a bit with leaving out of curves, it creates straight curves, in curve mode, but as you said and correct, they are separate and wouldnīt be good for rail extrude I think, you can however set mode to tube, which allows for at leas pipes, or you can use extend or extrude on a poly profile.
    But correct is that it doesnīt produces continious curve, must have missed that.
    Note though, you can save out any curve by save path, cfg, and reuse and change modes etc, would be nice if it had continuous merged curves.

will have to try and solve it later, donīt have time today though..if no other finds out.
    But feel free to keep on the secret for a few more days and allow for users to exercise their minds a bit.

The only way I could think of right now, is that you use two points at every corner,and that you somehow offset,scale or quantize it, or multiply the points somehow so you got double points somehow, then a sharp curve can be maintained, you are however not doing this manually so ..the mystery is to find out how you do that.
    I could imagine you simply copy the original points, then paste them then quantize with an extreme small value perhaps then run railextrude.

Hm...perhaps copy and paste the original points, then make the curve, then camfer, that way you get the points slightly offset in order for a curve to be acheived, but with quite straight lines if it is extremly small chamfer..I suspect that is my final bid

As I saw this, I become very interested. All my tries to do such a thing won't work at the end. Simply copying the points before creation of the curve let the curve look linear, but doesn't work correct with rail extrude. So I am interested in how you did. Please give me at last a hint. I am new in Lightwave and trying to learn. To just learn Lightwave, I started to develope a plugin, serving as an architectural helper. Creating arches, columns, windows, walls and so on. I first tryed to do this in C, but the (very) bad documentation let me jump over to lscript. Just to learn the things, this will do the Job.

Thanks,
    Kalle

The old trick was putting two points in one location. You end up with bezier with sharp corners that when you rail extrude, the extrusion is also sharp.

No other responses? Well, I want to know!! I'm clueless as to how you did that!
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hebert View Post
    No other responses? Well, I want to know!! I'm clueless as to how you did that!
    donīt know much else than what is previously said, make two points at any corner, either use snapdrag to move the points together , or go to modify/more quantize...you need to use the right settings though.
    Though I think this trick is probably different.

I tried just creating two points at each location but the rail extrude isn't working with that particular method. He's not snap dragging the points so it still has me wondering....
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hebert View Post
    I tried just creating two points at each location but the rail extrude isn't working with that particular method. He's not snap dragging the points so it still has me wondering....
    seems that way..have to check deeper in to that.

Think I solved it..
    Edit..for a second, then I lost it

never mind..I was wrong