Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TreesDesigner 1.7

Sorry, I need to change what I wrote...the previous info in this post was wrong. I incorrectly described how I use Bullet with 'wind' effectors with turbulence settings for smoke and fire...actually, I've used this for blowing mist and debris, not fire and smoke. I should have said, I've used ParticleFX for smoke and fire effects. (Coffee clearing my thoughts now.)

The info I wrote earlier about Fire and Smoke is probably incorrect too. I looked through my 'Polas' licenses and don't see it listed there. So now I think I must have been watching a friend using it back when I was with Rhythm. That or I totally imagined watching him use it. I'll have to send him a note about it or check my software archive at home to be sure.

Gah! I just checked and it turns out I do have the Fire and Smoke plugin--I didn't have the license code in my logs because it came with a license key file. I shouldn't be so surprised because I was a big supporter of Polas.net and I thought I purchased every plugin Pawel released. Anyway, the file is dated November 2002...geez, it can't be that old can it? The latest version of the Fire and Smoke plugin I have is dated June 2003 so, yeah, it has been a while since it was released.

I don't know if the plugin still runs. It's an x32 plugin, which is probably why my memory of it is so fuzzy--I really haven't used x32 LightWave in many years, probably since 9-point-something. I'm not sure I can check if this still works it unless I go back to my hardware dongle and an earlier LightWave. I think I still have 11.5 on my desktop so maybe I can check there.

Well, whaddya know? It works!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-07_223703.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	134384

Here's Fire and Smoke running in LightWave 11.5. I'll see if I can get it to run in a more recent version of LW.

Wow, Fire And Smoke still works in 2015.3 too! (But x32 only.) Considering how old this plugin is, it's a real testament to Pawel's programming skills. Great job man!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-07_230353.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	134385

I tried throwing TFD on it but it crashed, probably because the x32 version of TFD I have is pretty old. I'm not sure there's a newer release; I think TFD is only supported in x64 nowadays. (Confirmed: Just checked and it looks like I can only download the latest x64 version.)

I guess I could try baking the Fire And Smoke particles and bring that into x64 LightWave...but I've already spent more time than I should have. Maybe I can revisit this over the weekend.

Frequenter
    I had no idea what I started... ;-} But I really appreciate it! So - considering your enthusiasm - fire & Smoke Gen. is not really obsolete, right? :-)

Fascinating stuff; have loved this thread.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    I had no idea what I started... ;-} But I really appreciate it! So - considering your enthusiasm - fire & Smoke Gen. is not really obsolete, right? :-)
    Probably not obsolete. Unlike ParticleFX, Fire and Smoke was designed to generate a specific type of simulation, so the setup is easier for this type of effect.

That said, all I did the other day was apply the plugin in 2015.3 and let it run with defaults. I'd have to actually work with it a bit longer to be sure it's really working properly.

If I have time this weekend, I'll play around with it a bit and followup.

Assuming it's all good, my feeling is that you can never have too many choices for generating particle effects.

If Pawel decides to bring back Fire and Smoke, I hope he offers an x64 version.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Idle curiosity: for C-coded plugins, how much work is it to update to 64 bit?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123