Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NDI for arm devices.

Quote Originally Posted by thardie View Post
    I tried yesterday to build the NDI_Recv sample. I got it to run on a raspberry Pi 3, but it only receives Metadata and Audio, no video. Seems so close. Any idea when video will be supported?
    Same for me, did you manage to make it work?

Lightbulb

So. This one’s rearing it’s ugly head again. Raspberry Pi 4 is now with us with considerably more grunt. Do we think it’s viable as an NDI receiver now?

Given the history of legal issues with Newtek and the GPL, NDI is not included in FFMPEG. That makes NDI on Linux more challenging. That would likely impact NDI on ARM SBCs like RPi4.

Sienna does offer NDI Monitor for Ubuntu. It costs around $180 each, sold in bundles of 5. It requires an Intel CPU. Does not run on ARM.

They say it requires a host with Passmark score of 2800 or better. I can say from experience a Celeron N3450 (Passmark = 1843) does not handle 1080p60 playback. It drops frames. It can handle 1080p30.
    Last edited by mjgraves; 06-25-2019 at 10:38 AM.

So two things about this - first re: Raspberry Pi:

I'm told that, with all due respect to marketing, Rasberry Pi is still rather slow, and unlikely to run NDI well even with a really good great implementation. See reference below:

More broadly speaking about ARM development: The NDI SDK already exists on ARM CPUs for NDI sending, though it's not as fast as we would like. NewTek is very interested in hearing from anyone who wants to work with us on optimizing the codec on ARM CPUs, the results of which would be made available for all in our usual manner. (As a footnote, I'm told that experience with NEON assembly is probably required.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I believe that new Rasberry Pi would be able decode NDI because NDI use SpeedHQ codec that very similar with MPEG2 that can be software decoded by Rasberry Pi 4. But I am not sure that Rasberry Pi can display decoded stream because it is more than 480Mb/s.
    Also NDI Embedded SDK can receive raw NDI video stream on ARM. And in theory it is possible to decode raw stream by open source SpeedHQ codec implementation. is't it?

I just make a test to decode full hd SpeedHQ2 video on Raspberry Pi 3 via ffmpeg and it can decode video at 26-30fps. It is mean that Raspberry Pi 4 would be able to decode NDI 1080p60 video even without NEON optimizations.

oh, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by AElli View Post
    Is there a vers. of NDI for arm devices like a raspberry pi, or odroid etc.

I'm thinking it would be great to use them for receiving NDI over IP and playing the stream
    through its HDMI output.

Is anyone aware of anybody using / working on this idea ?
    ( Providing the answer to my first question is yes )

A.
    Is this the droid you are looking for ?

NDI Monitor for Raspberry PI. follow @ndi_cloud on Twitter for updates

Any news on the NDI monitor for ARM/RaspberryPi ?

I compiled ffmpeg on RPI3B+ with NDI support, ffmpeg detect the stream but I am not able to display a video with ffplay.
    Anyone knows the proper command to display ndi video?
    I would not care if the performance is low, but I need something like a preview function over the net. Used the Syphon protocol on RPi but this is not supported on Linux hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by magdesign View Post
    Any news on the NDI monitor for ARM/RaspberryPi ?

I compiled ffmpeg on RPI3B+ with NDI support, ffmpeg detect the stream but I am not able to display a video with ffplay.
    Anyone knows the proper command to display ndi video?
    I would not care if the performance is low, but I need something like a preview function over the net. Used the Syphon protocol on RPi but this is not supported on Linux hosts.
    FFMPEG on ARM cannot decode NDI Video. There is no 'proper command'. If you want a small computer for NDI, try an Intel Atom x86 processor based machine. They don't cost much more than a PI and many of them have good compatibility with NDI, including decoding video.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12