Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor needed

Monitor needed

I see a picture of a TriCaster Mini with a monitor. The monitor looks like it is portable because of the stand in the back that it has. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, where can I find this monitor? Thanks.

I think you might be referencing to this....

http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=14

I've got two of these GeChic monitors.

Good: Small and portable. They use USB for power so you don't need extra outlets, even though there are two USB plugs for power, I find that using one is enough to get it working. There were some models that had batteries built in, but I don't think they make those any more, you can use a USB battery pack (like for your phone) to power these monitors as well.

Bad: Not very bright, okay for indoor use, would probably be a problem for outdoor. Resolution is 1366x768, they will accept 1920x1080 and display it but small things on the screen can be hard to read.

All in all, they will get the job done without adding a lot of space or weight to your kit. But if I had the option, I would always go with a nicer display.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

What would be a nicer display that is portable? There are not very many options that are truly portable. A person could just get a small TV but then finding a case and storing it would be a pain.

I'm not sure of anything nicer. I've got them and use them, for a portable monitor they get the job done.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

A client I work for had the same issue a few months ago and ended up going with the GeChic monitors that Kane mentioned in his post. They worked really well and the only issue I had was when the sun came through the window onto the monitor and it didn't hold up as well as a "proper" monitor might have done. Minor issue though and overall I was pretty impressed with them especially for the price. If you want something really portable, then don't think there are many better options out there.

As you say, once you start getting larger monitors the cases you need for them suddenly kills the portability/increases the footprint of a small unit like the TriCaster mini. I've got two 24inch HP monitors in one case which are great, but a long way from being portable!
    Simon Malone
    Certified Tricaster Operator
    FreelanceVisionMixer.co.uk
    About Me | Day Rates & Kit Hire

Your correct the GE chic monitors do have issues in bright light.
    Re. Traveling with larger monitors. I have a couple of these for moving 32" and 42" screens..

http://www.bags2cover.co.uk/acatalog...rge-Sizes.html

The're well padded and have a inner solid side panel which helps protect the screen from knocks and bumps. Each monitor is fitted with a c stand clamp to enable quick setup.

A.
    Last edited by AElli; 08-22-2016 at 01:38 PM.

I do need a permanent monitor too. I want at least a 32". I have used a TV before. Any recommendations? Will a 720p monitor work or should I stick with a 1080p? Anyone care to comment? Thanks.

For the TriCaster interface you should have a monitor at least 1680 pixels wide. This pretty much gives you 1680x1050, 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 displays you can use for the main TriCaster UI. For the mutliview you can use a lower resolution display, but I would still recommend higher so you get the best image quality out of it.

I've heard of some people using TV as the monitor, but a few warnings. Some TV have high latency when used as computer displays, not so much a problem when watching video, but can be when trying to move a mouse around the screen. Also, I've seen a few TV where you can't disable the overscan, which causes the edges of the TriCaster display to be 'lost' off the edge of the monitor. I've certainly also had a TV work fine, but once in a while you find one that isn't a good fit as a computer display.
    Last edited by kanep; 08-23-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Any recommendation for monitors instead of TVs? So, TVs are not real good to use?

We have a new Tricaster Mini and are trying to use a 4K display for multiview. We get a message indicating that the 4K resolution exceeds maximum resolution and may affect video performance. Does anyone know if this is advisable, or should we be setting the monitor to 1920x1080?

So far we have not seen any effect on Tricaster operation/records aside from some problems exiting sessions, which may be caused by the custom font size change we made in the windows control panel.

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    Yes, you need to be setting the monitor to 1920x1080 which is the maximum resolution for the TriCaster's user interface.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    Yes, you need to be setting the monitor to 1920x1080 which is the maximum resolution for the TriCaster's user interface.
    Do you know if there will be support for higher resolution multiview display in future updates?

I hope I'm not missing something obvious here but GeChic also makes a 1080 version of this monitor:

http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=27

I just ordered two so I guess I'll find out if there are any issues...

Jonathan

Let us know how they work out.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast