Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The competition is releasing a roadmap of their future development

In my copious spare time (as in time I'm currently wasting by sleeping; I can sleep when I'm dead) I hope to go through some of the Houdini training videos on Digital Tutors and Lynda and assess for certain it's a learning curve worth climbing for what I do.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

...spare-what?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

it is, there is still the risk that Houdini Indie will go the xSI Foundation route though.

i was very close to getting xSI Foundation, but then all of a sudden they stopped selling it.

even though i got a mail from them saying "Houdini Indie" will be continued, there is still a huge "what if"

that said, offering Houdini Indie is Awesome, imo.
    I don't feel it's wise to think of Houdini Indie as a permanent studio solution for the reasons you gave. Its best treated at a way into Houdini without the massive upfront investment. However, I don't see learning on it as a big risk.

I've learned the hard way that nothing is safe in this industry, having invested in both Softimage and Arnold. However, Houdini seems one of the safest bets to me.
    An encouraging thing about Houdini is that its firmly intrenched in many pipelines worldwide and holds a significant amount of gravitas. That coupled with the fact that Houdini artists have historically been in relatively short supply makes learning it quite appealing IMO. Its leaning toward being the case that if you can use Houdini, you're employable.

Side FX seem to take pride in the fact that they are very unlike Autodesk, and are aware that many users will be relying on H Indie and would be very unhappy if it were pulled. I think if they did decide to drop it. It would probably be accompanied by some kind of offer to buy into Houdini full over time, rather than a cold stop and bye bye.

However, I would say that the Skills you learn are where the real power lies. Even if I never used ICE again (which I will do for quite a while) The skills I have learnt from using it will serve me very well in whatever I used next ( which are leaning toward both Houdini and Fabric) so the fact Softimage got canned by AD is a tragedy that is nothing compared to me never learning those skills in the first place. The skills themselves are portable and permanent.
    Last edited by pooby; 08-14-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18493&dateline=130857  4707

Rather than look at Indie as a door to full Houdini....I use it as a Lightwave augment.

Houdini Indie is perfect for a 1 or 2 shot basis where you need FX lightwave cant reproduce....

Fluid sims for example.....more capable than realflow in a lot of ways, and yet cheap and LEGAL to use(vs realflow academic). And the 1 YEAR subscription price is 1/3 the price of 1 MONTH realflow rental.

Complex FX is houdini's strength....basic stuff can be much more time consuming vs Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    ...spare-what?
    It's possible I wrote that while in a sleep deprived stupor.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Complex FX is houdini's strength....basic stuff can be much more time consuming vs Lightwave.
    Yeah: this. I'm quickly finding myself in positions I can see a benefit from looking into it.

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

LW and Houdini are a good combo imo. You get the most extreme range of 3d workflows. For things that lw can't do quickly.... houdini can do procedurally and reusablely. For fx or models that don't need procedural modelling it really is pointless to model in Houdini.

Quote Originally Posted by pooby View Post
    I don't feel it's wise to think of Houdini ...
    wow not seen you for ages

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    Paul is a lurker

Animator/Compositor wibly wobly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    I know right? I thought he was long gone. Nice to see him back.
    I'm really curious about their UI / node changes in the next release. Are we going to see an evolution of all those Soft coders they picked up after AD criminally shut it down? If so, this is really exciting. Having only poked around with the free version of Houdini so far, it seems to me to be the most interesting 3D program out there right now. They're killing it with SFX and lately they seem to be really trying to push the character animation side of things. I've read comments that it can do fantastic things for CA work but, it needs some UI changes to make it more usable. Maybe those Soft programmers are going to start showing their expertise in there.

one of the coolest LightWave tests i saw was from Paul Pooby, a muscle simulation tests. (2004?)
    edit: ah, me and my links, found it... http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=173249

these days one would go other ways about it, but at the time it was quite cool.  

...and talking muscle simulation, it's very nice to see what they are bringing into Houdini Indie 2016.

(i do hope that the Houdini balloon-muscles can be tweaked though...)
    Last edited by erikals; 08-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Hi Pooby, it's great to see you here agian. I also really love Houdini Indie. I also was big on XSI/ Softimage. I was really crushed when AD killed it. How ever I don't see the same thing happening with Houdini. FIrst and formost
    They are a company for the artist. AD looks at Auto desk media and entertainment as a tiny part of their market. I feel the proof is the SideXF is now giving away Houdini Engine. I also really love my pipeline, which is LIghtwave, Houdini,Zbrush,3D Coat, AE and Fusion. I think Lightwave is a very complementry to Houdini. When I used Softimage it was really a great substatute for LIghtwave. I really don't feel that way about Houdini. I also use Octane in my pipeline and now I can bring VDB files from Houdini directly in to Lightwave now to render. This is tremeniously powerful.
    Last edited by toeknee; 08-14-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    The LW Beast From the East

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, LW3DG should just give up on their inbuilt VFX stuff, and license Houdini Engine. It just makes sense.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

a LightWave <> Houdini app would also be neat, wouldn't cost much, would be easy to make.

then again, time vs features < does not come cheap these days.

i've been playing with the idea of making a bridge for...
    LightWave <> Houdini
    LightWave <> Blender

but agh.... time...
    Last edited by erikals; 08-14-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, LW3DG should just give up on their inbuilt VFX stuff, and license Houdini Engine. It just makes sense.
    Amen to that.

Reco

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast