Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought LWCAD

Just bought LWCAD

Hi All

I have just bought LWCAD as the tools look really good in the demo videos.
    Is it just me or is it a bit clunky? Lots of the tools don't act like you would expect.
    Please tell me if it just me, because I so badly want this to be a good tool after spending that much money on it
    Please please please don' take this is me having a dig at the software, I just can't seem to get on with it from the offset.
    I know this is probably my fault (well I am hoping anyway)

I think I spoke too soon

well try and be more specific to what problems youre having. i find lwcad to be invaluable.

Follow the video tuts and manual step by step and spend some time immersing yourself when testing the tools. The UI is very economically designed and LWCad is a deceptively deep program. I came back to LCad from v1 and it took some time to work out. Now I couldn't do without it... just the Boolean and chamfering / rounding tools for hard surface modelling are essential. The nurbs features are very good for precision modelling and nurbs booleans are on the horizon.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

One thing I thought LWCAD was going to do was let me continuously change settings on the different parts of a nurbs surface. For example if I wanted to edit the round edge from 10mm to 5mm. But I think I got the wrong end of the stick with that one.

The other thing is I can't seem to work out how to slice a nurbs surface. Maybe I am just missing the point haha

I've had the previous version of LWCAD (no nurbs) for some time and still feel the way you do. There are some good tools, but what I found was that it is quirky. You have to watch the videos and pay particular attention to which viewport he's doing things in. Because sometimes you get a totally different result than the tutorial based on viewport, size of your model and various other variables. I rarely get it to perform exactly as the videos, but then again, the videos I watch for my version were created in the 1980s I think. I haven't spent a lot of time with it over the years because every time I begin to use it, it does something flaky or unexpected and then it goes back on the shelf. However, I've seen others here praise the heck out of it and they have a lot more experience in LW than I do. So maybe that's the issue. Hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by unstable View Post
    I've had the previous version of LWCAD (no nurbs) for some time and still feel the way you do. There are some good tools, but what I found was that it is quirky. You have to watch the videos and pay particular attention to which viewport he's doing things in. Because sometimes you get a totally different result than the tutorial based on viewport, size of your model and various other variables. I rarely get it to perform exactly as the videos, but then again, the videos I watch for my version were created in the 1980s I think. I haven't spent a lot of time with it over the years because every time I begin to use it, it does something flaky or unexpected and then it goes back on the shelf. However, I've seen others here praise the heck out of it and they have a lot more experience in LW than I do. So maybe that's the issue. Hope it works out for you.
    Thanks Unstable,

I think maybe I was expecting it to do things it wasn't really aimed at. The UCS alignment etc is very cool though, since LightWave doesn't allow you to change the working plane.

I think what I am looking for is a way of modelling where I never have to commit to anything until I am certain I am finished. I have seen that Modo is going that way with some of its tools. I am struggling to find a use for LWCAD at the moment, but maybe if I play around with it more I will start to see the benefits.
    Can someone give me an example of something that would be hard to do in LW Modeler that is made simpler by using LWCAD? I don't mean that as a sarcastic comment at all, I genuinely would like to have some ideas, so I can really make use of what I have bought

If the Archviz tools could keep their properties so you can always changes the values at anytime, that would be a bonus

Crikey - I for one have mapped shortcuts to all of the basic LWCAD tools - move, resize, rotate etc, as they all add so much more on an everyday level.

Then there's the various clone options - array, vector, radial - have you ever tried cloning around a centre point in LW? Eventually the rotation goes a bit out of whack (had done so since way back), but LWCAD's radial array tool is as precise as you could want.

The working plane is also a gods-send - booleaning shapes from shapes that aren't on the x,y or z is brilliant. One example in arch viz for me is the shingle tool - laying out an entire roof with tiles, ridge tiles, gable-end tiles in one click is a massive time-saver, as is the option to make your own up. Here in the UK we have a traditional "rosemary" tile, which I've modelled (with UVs) and added to the library, so I can just add it when I need to.

Really - I think LWCAD saves me around 50% of the time in general modelling.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

well at the very least, i would think you would want to replace some common lw tools witht he lwcad equivalents. move, scale, and rorate because you can use them with snapping. the cloning tools because theyre interactive. booleans which are real time. ive been meaning to do a video for these types of things.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your replies
    I cannot seem to get the snapping to do what I want.
    Let's say I have a cylinder that I want to place on a face of a box shape, but the face is at some weird angle.
    I have managed to get the cylinder to be at the same angle using the Rotate Snap tool, but how do i then use the Move Snap tool to get it snap to the face?

Solved it!!! I had grid snapping on still and it was stopping it from snapping to the face

Now I am seeing the benefits

Could someone explain to me how I snap a piece of geometry to a plane that is angled in more than one direction?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shapes.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	133968

So how would I go about getting that cylinder to be sitting on that top plane of the deformed box?
    Last edited by gamedesign1; 08-09-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamedesign1 View Post
    Could someone explain to me how I snap a piece of geometry to a plane that is angled in more than one direction?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shapes.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	133968

So how would I go about getting that cylinder to be sitting on that top plane of the deformed box?
    I don't think that is a good job for LWcad. To put the object on the off axis plane it would be better to use Place Mesh or Align or Rotate To Object. LWcad would be very good at creating a new cylinder on the plane. Use the LWcad cylinder tool to click on the plane in the perspective view port with the snap panel USC set to auto. Then you can draw a cylinder that will sit on that plane.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast