Thread: Fiber fx will not activate

Fiber fx will not activate

Am I going crazy?>

I can't activate fiber fx on an object, I'm pulling my hair out. I'm sure there is a very simple explanation? please???
    Some sort of fancy i7 with other stupendous hardware and copious amounts of ram

Solved... you can expand the object in ffx panel and apply it to specific surfaces.

Hey I have another question if anyone feels like being helpful instead of whining about Lightwave doom and gloom.

I have a scene purely lit by radiosity which is sufficient for all other surfaces but the fibers still seem to very dark, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by sammael View Post
    Hey I have another question if anyone feels like being helpful instead of whining about Lightwave doom and gloom.

I have a scene purely lit by radiosity which is sufficient for all other surfaces but the fibers still seem to very dark, any ideas?
    In the Rendering/Shading tab there is an option to activate radiosity. Apparentetly it is not working anymore. I donīt know if this was related before.
    One sugestion I have to you is that you increase the value of the AMBIENT and DIFFUSE in the same tab. If necessary you can add some LUMINOSITY value too.
    I know it is not the right way to do, but hey, what else can we do?
    Ground control to Major Tom

Thanks Maurocor,

Damn that all makes sense now why it is so dark. I'm attempting to fake it with the luminosity now.

What about seperate rendering and compositing later? Is it possible?
    So you can then apply regular lighting for ffx and radiosity for rest.

Quote Originally Posted by MAUROCOR View Post
    In the Rendering/Shading tab there is an option to activate radiosity. Apparentetly it is not working anymore. I donīt know if this was related before.
    One sugestion I have to you is that you increase the value of the AMBIENT and DIFFUSE in the same tab. If necessary you can add some LUMINOSITY value too.
    I know it is not the right way to do, but hey, what else can we do?
    That's a rather serious problem, has it been reported?

Presumably LW3DG consider the "fix" as LW.Next's new approach to fibre rendering, but it still seems problematic to not have working GI for legacy fibre scenes. Positioning LW2015 as the answer to rendering "legacy render engine" scenes only works, after all, if LW2015 can properly render such scenes.

LW3DG really need to clarify what their plan is for handling dependencies on the prior render engine going forward. LW2015 has significant issues as a "catch-all" for legacy render scenes. Just telling customers "find a seat license for an older version of Lightwave" isn't really a viable ongoing solution.

(edit)

I'm vaguely hopeful that part of the delay has stemmed from LW3DG realizing they had to somehow "bridge the gap" from existing surfacing to the new engine, whether that means usably including the old engine/surfacing, or instead providing some kind of (automated) programatic conversion. Such efforts would certainly explain the delay. The latter, unfortunately, hasn't worked out too well historically in practice (MAXON and others have attempted in the past). Typically, the surfaces customers spent the most time on, and thus care most about, also involve the most "tricks" and thus are among the most difficult to properly characterize and convert.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-14-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I was able to get GI by turning on "volume only" in the fiber settings, and then "volumetric radiosity" in the global illumination settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    I was able to get GI by turning on "volume only" in the fiber settings, and then "volumetric radiosity" in the global illumination settings.
    Hehe, that's kind of the direction that LW.Next is taking as well, making fibres "real", but w.r.t. FFX that's also essentially the most expensive (render-wise) solution possible.

(edit)

I'm still getting overly-dark fibres with "volume only" (in FFX) and "volumetric radiosity" (in render globals) with Mac64 LW2015.3. I'm going to switch back and see how 11.6.3 and a v11 (pre-11.5) look in same situ.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-14-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Hehe, that's kind of the direction that LW.Next is taking as well, making fibres "real", but w.r.t. FFX that's also essentially the most expensive (render-wise) solution possible.

(edit)

I'm still getting overly-dark fibres with "volume only" (in FFX) and "volumetric radiosity" (in render globals) with Mac64 LW2015.3. I'm going to switch back and see how 11.6.3 and a v11 but pre-11.5 looked in same situ.
    Did you also check the radiosity box in the shader section?
    Thats right... you have to check 3 different check boxes in 3 different panels in order to get gi on your fibers... great workflow!
    Seems to work well enough on PC once you check those 3 boxes, but as you said... its not fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    Did you also check the radiosity box in the shader section?
    Thats right... you have to check 3 different check boxes in 3 different panels in order to get gi on your fibers... great workflow!
    Seems to work well enough on PC once you check those 3 boxes, but as you said... its not fast.
    Are you working in 2015.3? As per what Maurocor mentioned, I'm not sure that "Radiosity" box on the FFX panel is actually doing anything here anymore.

I agree that's how it is _supposed_ to work.
    John W.

Are you working in 2015.3? As per what Maurocor mentioned, I'm not sure that "Radiosity" box on the FFX panel is actually doing anything here anymore.

I agree that's how it is _supposed_ to work.
    This is what I get with hdr and no lights/ambient on. 2015.3...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fur.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	134027

I'm vaguely hopeful that part of the delay has stemmed from LW3DG realizing they had to somehow "bridge the gap" from existing surfacing to the new engine, whether that means usably including the old engine/surfacing, or instead providing some kind of (automated) programatic conversion.
    Gosh, I hope not! I'm ready to start fresh.

Guys, my mistake! I am sorry, I give you a wrong information.

john, Prince Charming is right, it is working! (It is so weird to say that...) What happens is that we have to check the radiosity button in the render panel, as well the VOLUMETRIC RADIOSITY in the render panel AND radiosity in the Rendering/Shading tab in the Fiber FX panel. Not very friendly I say. Volumetric radiosity should be on by default in my opinion. I will send a private message to Sammael to tell him.
    Last edited by MAUROCOR; 08-16-2016 at 09:02 AM.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MAUROCOR View Post
    Guys, my mistake! I am sorry, I give you a wrong information.

john, Prince Charming is right, it is working! (It is so weird to say that...) What happens is that we have to check the radiosity button in the render panel, as well the VOLUMETRIC RADIOSITY in the render panel AND radiosity in the Rendering/Shading tab in the Fiber FX panel. Not very friendly I say. Volumetric radiosity should be on by default in my opinion. I will send a private message to Sammael to tell him.
    Yeah, agreed. After comparing with prior versions, I realized the results were more or less similar. Even if they aren't quite what I expected (they still seem overly dark to me), they're fairly consistent, which is good enough.
    John W.