Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 282

Thread: What is going on?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    846
    Yep, my first port of call - should LW fall as did CORE and the signs are there.

  2. #182
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post

    I agree with Surrealist: I am convinced that, if Newtek would open up Lightwave's beta to licensed users, it would only deliver positive results - in more ways than just squashing bugs.
    Yes. An Open Beta would excite and unite Lightwavers.

  3. #183
    Super Member spherical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Juan Island
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Yes. An Open Beta would excite and unite Lightwavers.
    Yes. And strike horror (once again) in the hearts of coders who have to deal with the cacophony of that which is incoming. Did that. Abandoned the concept long ago. I think that it is a necessary evil, but those in charge think otherwise.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

    Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

    "When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Yes. And strike horror (once again) in the hearts of coders who have to deal with the cacophony of that which is incoming. Did that. Abandoned the concept long ago. I think that it is a necessary evil, but those in charge think otherwise.
    So you've failed.
    A newer generation will likely succeed.

  5. #185
    Newbie Member cower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    67
    I hope Lightwave dev team working hard and we will see some results soon... But according to "google trends" lightwave lost 98% of searches from 2004... maya lost around half of searches from that time. Only blender shows some growing... modo keeps stabel... So according to google trends cg market is dying.. as interest to technology overall... We will see how things go later.. But cg industry will change..

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    846
    for me, I now need proof of intent given the CORE experience.
    My advice to the LightWave community -
    If you're thinking of upgrading - don't.
    If you're thinking of buying tutorials - don't.
    If you're a school, college or any institution thinking of buying anything from LW3DG - don't.
    If you're a single user thinking of buying a 3rd party plug-in - don't.

    Make them prove their products are worthy, which is not the current case.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    846
    To be perfectly clear, I don't think anyone should now be investing time, effort or money in these people called LW3DG who presumably live in a bubble.

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by BokadCastle View Post
    To be perfectly clear, I don't think anyone should now be investing time, effort or money in these people called LW3DG who presumably live in a bubble.
    POV-Ray is the future of 3D, or so some people thought in 1991. Softimage will be forever the industrial standard for feature film work (1993 after Jurassic Park). Cinema 4D is just classed as hobbyist in 2006 and those mo-graph tools will never take off. Maya version 1 was buggy like hell and obviously had no future. Lightwave is dead announced by a number of users at version 8, 9 10, 11 and 2015. LOL. Let's hope LW Next will reverse the naysayers and doomsayers of LW with it's new fangled architecture taking it away from early 2000 tech.
    Alex Hunter
    Editor and 2D/3D Motion Designer

    Showreel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2JB8hmJLTE

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic Shapes View Post
    Thank you.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    846
    My intention was to impose a 'strike' on LW3DG ridiculous as that is, to force some sort of serious response.

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    373
    Glad Rob finally posted something. It was overdue, because LW3DG has not done a good job of managing expectations. Software can take a lot of time to create. Most of us understand that, and would rather have a solid version, than a rushed, crash and burn. There are two things (just my opinion) that set up the wrong expectations for this release, and they can easily be avoided in the future.

    1. You decided to copy Autodesk, and slap a YEAR on the thing instead of the VERSION number! Once you call it 2015, you imply a yearly release. You also repel potential new customers, who won't buy your software in an "off year", like 2016, as they wait for you to "get current". But if it were 2015 or 2016, or 2038, LW v12.xxx is what it is, the "current" version of the program. If it takes 2 years to develop LW v13, then it does.

    Suggestion: Drop the year, and go back to version, or some other designator. When you have a new interface and feel a need to re-brand, simply start calling it LightWave Studio v1, or something like that.

    2. The blog went to radio silence without warning. With the blog, you created the "expectation" of semi-regular communication, which failed. It seems it was sort of a side effort by guys who are too busy to maintain it, which is understandable. It's not easy, that's why it is usually a full time job for a marketing person, or junior staff member to create that content.

    My suggestion: If staff (i.e. money), can't be set aside to keep things up to date, kill the blog, and make these sorts of "sneak peeks" of future tools in development part of the newsletter. That way the info can still generate excitement for the future by reaching the users, but not create dashed expectations when 4 months go by without a blog post, because there is no expectation it has to be in every newsletter. It becomes more of a treat when it is in the newsletter, like "did you see how good the new render looks? I can't wait for the next version!"

    I'm not worried about the next version. I think it will be good. Rob is leading in the right direction on that front. I'm just worried about the confused marketing, because if the user base shrinks rather than grows, those of us who want to stick around, may not have that option. There's a lot of competition. It's not a great time to manage expectations poorly. Looking forward to "Lucky, Lightwave 13"

  12. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Glad Rob finally posted something. It was overdue, because LW3DG has not done a good job of managing expectations. Software can take a lot of time to create. Most of us understand that, and would rather have a solid version, than a rushed, crash and burn. There are two things (just my opinion) that set up the wrong expectations for this release, and they can easily be avoided in the future.

    1. You decided to copy Autodesk, and slap a YEAR on the thing instead of the VERSION number! Once you call it 2015, you imply a yearly release. You also repel potential new customers, who won't buy your software in an "off year", like 2016, as they wait for you to "get current". But if it were 2015 or 2016, or 2038, LW v12.xxx is what it is, the "current" version of the program. If it takes 2 years to develop LW v13, then it does.

    Suggestion: Drop the year, and go back to version, or some other designator. When you have a new interface and feel a need to re-brand, simply start calling it LightWave Studio v1, or something like that.

    2. The blog went to radio silence without warning. With the blog, you created the "expectation" of semi-regular communication, which failed. It seems it was sort of a side effort by guys who are too busy to maintain it, which is understandable. It's not easy, that's why it is usually a full time job for a marketing person, or junior staff member to create that content.

    My suggestion: If staff (i.e. money), can't be set aside to keep things up to date, kill the blog, and make these sorts of "sneak peeks" of future tools in development part of the newsletter. That way the info can still generate excitement for the future by reaching the users, but not create dashed expectations when 4 months go by without a blog post, because there is no expectation it has to be in every newsletter. It becomes more of a treat when it is in the newsletter, like "did you see how good the new render looks? I can't wait for the next version!"

    I'm not worried about the next version. I think it will be good. Rob is leading in the right direction on that front. I'm just worried about the confused marketing, because if the user base shrinks rather than grows, those of us who want to stick around, may not have that option. There's a lot of competition. It's not a great time to manage expectations poorly. Looking forward to "Lucky, Lightwave 13"
    zzz

    - - - Updated - - -

    zzz

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Glad Rob finally posted something. It was overdue, because LW3DG has not done a good job of managing expectations.... <snip>
    Couldn't agree with your post more. I've been using LW professionally on and off for fifteen years and it has lot of potential that I hope LW next will deliver on. Not just to keep current users but to attract new users. I added Cinema 4D to keep relevant in the job and freelance market doing motion graphics etc, but I still do loads in LW. Nothing is certain or guaranteed in this industry and I don't see why within the next 5 years, a modern LW with good marketing can't become an industry standard. It's new design along with consistent thought out marketing can change it's current perception drastically. I don't want to see LW, Modo etc fail and Autodesk left as the sole proprietor of all things 3D.
    Alex Hunter
    Editor and 2D/3D Motion Designer

    Showreel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2JB8hmJLTE

  14. #194
    Frequenter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Glad Rob finally posted something. It was overdue, because LW3DG has not done a good job of managing expectations. Software can take a lot of time to create. Most of us understand that, and would rather have a solid version, than a rushed, crash and burn. There are two things (just my opinion) that set up the wrong expectations for this release, and they can easily be avoided in the future.
    ...

    I'm not worried about the next version. I think it will be good. Rob is leading in the right direction on that front. I'm just worried about the confused marketing, because if the user base shrinks rather than grows, those of us who want to stick around, may not have that option. There's a lot of competition. It's not a great time to manage expectations poorly. Looking forward to "Lucky, Lightwave 13"
    Good post, agree with mostly everything. Itīs just that I am still not 100% sure if a new version can meet the seemingly very high expectations around here. I surely hope that it will raise some attention on the other side of the fence. And not only with us "oldtimers" that still hang around anyway...

    p.s. regarding names: maybe they should call it Lazarus rather than anything ;-)

  15. #195
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    383
    Encouraging words by Rob are fine
    they have for now soothed our minds.
    A picture paints a thousand words
    to not show evidence would be absurd.
    Just one image would go down well
    smoothing the growing negative swell.
    So come on Rob show us an image
    Show your words are not a mirage.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •