Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    ...Are you sure that it is because of me ?
    It is because of all of us. I started on LW on Amiga and upgraded frequently. I just upgraded to 2015 from 7.5 after a long break from 3D. NewTek cannot be expected to devote resources into new releases if its "regular" customers are failing to upgrade. This is what drove Adobe to subscriptions.

I'm not suggesting we need to blindly pay for a product before it is offered. We just don't have grounds for complaint about secretive development if we haven't been part of the process.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    Or like with version 9 when I prepurchased a poduct that didn't get released until almost a year later than the date advertised when it was presold.
    So NewTek learned to stop premature announcements of release dates. Why are people asking for them now?

Nutty.

I not asking for that... I can't speak for others. I want them to take their time and produce a quality product. All I am saying is that marketing is supposed to gain customers not lose them.

So all these other compnaies should stop spending 100s of 1000s of $ on marketing cause it really does not do anything to sell the product?
    Well one, I was speaking of myself as I don't need any advertisements or marketing directed towards me as I am a consumer in the 3D industry and as such I seek out products which serve my needs, all a company has to do for me is show me the final product. I'm not a guppy attraced by the pretty colors of a advert.

And no, you're misreading what I'm saying about advertising. Companies need to advertise to primarily expand their consumer market, and not as much advertise to people who already use their product and will base most of their decision on how much the product has improved from a version they already know to the new product.

Also... they did not learn about premature announcements. They learned about pre mature selling of product.

There is a very small part of the population that you and I are in that do not care about marketing... but about 95% of the population can't make a decision without it. I do get your point... but imo nt need not worry about the people who are currently using lw. The need to worry about getting back the thousands of customers they lost... and new ones.

anyway, meanwhile, try to check out some other apps.

either 3d apps or other.

i might jump to another forum, if LWG won't communicate, why should i.
    Last edited by erikals; 08-05-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

A lot of us are pretty peeved at the moment and the main reason is because of this and i quote-----
    "the problem is broken promise of "regular blog updates" and communication".
    Not even the Siggraph event/period produced any response from Rob.
    There has to be good reasons for this situation.
    Maybe they tried to squeeze into "Next' a few more new features so it would have more features than
    we already know about but had unforeseen issues and have had to delay the release date.
    Dealing with advertising and marketing can also have its sudden and inforeseen issues.
    Could be that all Rob has done is simple closed the door on the forum
    [With no ill intent] so he does not have to deal with the clammer going on here and can concentrate on
    getting LW "NEXT" to us as soon as possible. Hopefully sooner than later.

I like to think that Rob will suddenly make a post and say
    "Sorry for the lack of info lads here is some more free software
    [Remember free Chronasculpt etc] to keep you occupied while
    we get on with things. Just wishfull thinking.

Maybe they tried to squeeze into "Next' a few more new features so it would have more features than
    we already know about but had unforeseen issues and have had to delay the release date.
    when/if that happens, all they have to do is to go back a few builds, so no, i don't buy that one.

Could be that all Rob has done is simple closed the door on the forum
    and still skipped blog updates + Siggraph? not likely.

but maybe it's a good thing, we will learn not to trust anything that has to do with marketing dates / communication, and thereby care less.

this will in return make us forum posters less annoying.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Newtek is doing marketing. They don't have a new product to market yet. So they are marketing, constantly, the LightWave that is here now.

Keeping users informed about updates to future products, can be confused as marketing. Or it can tie into marketing efforts. But the two are not directly related. In fact mixing the two would be deadly.

What we are talking about here is public relations which can feed marketing. But what is missing here is a communication with the current and potential user base as to what is coming next for LightWave.

But honestly most companies are very guarded about specifics until there is a product to actually market. I can not think of any company who lays out what they are working on in more detail than the Blender foundation. Probably Epic comes in second. But I can not think of another company that does as much as what is being asked for here.

The blog was a great idea. But not even Autodesk has that. You have to be on a Beta to get those kind of updates.

A little more communication with the forums would be helpful. Complete silence is not a good idea. But it has nothing to do with marketing until there is a product to market.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Newtek is doing marketing. They don't have a new product to market yet. So they are marketing, constantly, the LightWave that is here now.

Keeping users informed about updates to future products, can be confused as marketing. Or it can tie into marketing efforts. But the two are not directly related. In fact mixing the two would be deadly.

What we are talking about here is public relations which can feed marketing. But what is missing here is a communication with the current and potential user base as to what is coming next for LightWave.

But honestly most companies are very guarded about specifics until there is a product to actually market. I can not think of any company who lays out what they are working on in more detail than the Blender foundation. Probably Epic comes in second. But I can not think of another company that does as much as what is being asked for here.

The blog was a great idea. But not even Autodesk has that. You have to be on a Beta to get those kind of updates.

A little more communication with the forums would be helpful. Complete silence is not a good idea. But it has nothing to do with marketing until there is a product to market.
    I can agree with that for the most part... but then the blog was just yet another premature blunder. Very similar to past premature blunders.

everybody chill and have a render ...
    smashing

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    It is actively being worked on, some of us saw a preview of bits of it a few weeks ago and were happy with what we saw. Other than that I guess we have to wait for the developers to say 'stop' and 'unleash the hounds'
    Can we use Krakens? It always works better with Krakens.

Can't wait to take Next for a spin.

I think the only issue with the Blog is it that it pseudo-established expectations for consistent communication. If you are traveling and call your wife or whatever every night before bed and then suddenly stop calling for a week without a word of explanation...I guarantee there is going to be drama. That's what we got here: drama.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    anyway, meanwhile, try to check out some other apps.

either 3d apps or other.

i might jump to another forum, if LWG won't communicate, why should i.
    Same here, since these forums ..(it may be subjectivly) seem to have become more about discussions on things not really related to lightwave, or just a continuous flow about what is happening or what is next, or is lw dead etc..all that starts to feel quite depressive, and canīt be good for creativity.
    I still have to enter the blender forums, but I reckon I will soon, I would have liked to excel more with the 2015 new features, but I am not comfortably with all the crashes I have with it, so I touch it rarely now..at least not 2015 ..which is a bit sad since the new bullet features and some other stuff was interesting, I rather fire up 11.6.3 to avoid those crashes.

So I reckon I currently go for discovering blender even some more, I am quite in love with the skin modifier and how One can work with that, thatīs whatīs going on here anyway
    I need to free some hard drive space and sort somethings, would like to fire up the latest houdini apprentice version as well.

Michael

I can agree with that for the most part... but then the blog was just yet another premature blunder. Very similar to past premature blunders.
    Nah. I would never put something that was actually a good thing in to such a negative context. In fact most of the negativity leveled at the developers have been in the context of something good and positive somehow turned into negatives.

What they did was positive and fairly above and beyond.

But it was not well received, by a small vocal few (which is always the case), even when it was informative, positive and lifted the spirits around here for a while.

That they stopped doing it is more to do with the lack of interest in dealing with the vocal few who troll with no other interest than to cause turbulence.

If it was a blunder, the users are equally to blame. And I point the finger at moderation for not being simply willing to warn and/or ban people.

It gets so out of hand around here that when there was a recent posting for a legit job for LWvers at CBS it was quickly turned into "this is a scam".

The same people seem to show up on all the threads with this kind of negatively and it is no wonder that blog posts turn nasty even when they are positive.

No nope. Sorry to disagree. Not a blunder. Not premature. Was good while it lasted.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast