Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fstorm render

Fstorm render

John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

That's unfortunate however Otoy should be praising Fstorm for being able to produce cleaner images than Octane in less time. Or dare I say better images.

There's never an excuse for stealing code - I can't imagine I'd be praising anyone stealing my work and making money from it, better or not. It's theft and shows a lack of morals. The injunction post mentions "substantial portions of OctaneRender source code" - that implies more than a few copy and pasted routines. Shame really - if Kozlov really is that intelligent enough to start up on his own, then he really should have come up with something new.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

I'm not praising him for stealing code if he actually did but for making better looking renders than Otoy is able to.

I am sure someone who steals code, is not above adding a little noise removal to his internet gallery

Well that's probably true but you can't deny the quality of their images.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

Wow! Too bad it looks really good.
    Wonder if Modo uses some copyrighted code from Lightwave. Were the ex-lightwave devs smart enough to own the code before they started coding lighwave and planned to create modo in the future.

Banned
    I've bought Octane so I feel my investment somewhat diminished when this happens.
    Were NDAs in place? (Non Disclosure Agreements)

NDA's aren't really specific to this case. You are free to 'disclose' in most cases, just not to outright copy.
    Take for instance Octane's grievance with blender cycles developer.....not verbatim copying source code....but undoubtedly using some things he had learned from octane development IP.
    Brecht van Lommel joined Octane from blender, and left 2 weeks later (allegedly with the source code)....4 months later releasing Blender cycles. Quite quick for a new render engine from scratch. (just ask kray developers )

Brecht has since went on to Arnold renderer.....

This specific developer wasn't accused with disclosing anything....but copy/pasting intellectual property.
    This is the first case to go to court, and probably the first one dumb enough to actually use large amounts of source code
    Last edited by m.d.; 08-02-2016 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by js33 View Post
    Well that's probably true but you can't deny the quality of their images.
    about 30 images total....I wouldnt say that sample size would demonstrate a superior quality to octane......but ya impressive images

Looks like from the manual it's an octane clone with adaptive sampling added (would be nice), and the fact that they are accusing him of directly lifting code would kinda support that.

Banned
    Thanks for your knowledge...."and the fact that they are accusing him of directly lifting code would kinda support that." - Gosh, what to say.

Digging into this further, it looks like the only code fstorm admits to using is from the 3dsmax plugin.
    It is a little suspicious the progress he made after leaving Otoy in 1 year...but that stuff is harder to prove.

That being said , I'm sure this stings reminiscent of Brecht and their lawyers are going to take him to task.
    A judge has already granted an injunction to halt sales and downloads of fstorm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Digging into this further, it looks like the only code fstorm admits to using is from the 3dsmax plugin.
    It is a little suspicious the progress he made after leaving Otoy in 1 year...but that stuff is harder to prove.

That being said , I'm sure this stings reminiscent of Brecht and their lawyers are going to take him to task.
    A judge has already granted an injunction to halt sales and downloads of fstorm
    wowsers
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Wow! Too bad it looks really good.
    Wonder if Modo uses some copyrighted code from Lightwave. Were the ex-lightwave devs smart enough to own the code before they started coding lighwave and planned to create modo in the future.
    It is very unlikely you will get an answer to that. In any case, I think if there was anything shady, steps would have been taken long ago. I have a similar case way back, when I worked for another company.
    I had a contract agreement, saying I could keep what I coded. So if (and when) I left, I could use that code myself. Could be something similar. That type of agreement is very rare, and usually only when they
    are good friends. But like I said, I don't think you will get an answer to that one. But I very much doubt LWG doesn't already know, and their silence suggests to me that it probably is OK anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast