Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Presets and Wiki

Presets and Wiki

I've took the decision to kill both the preset site and the wiki, it's sat there for nearly 6 months without anybody uploading or contributing.
    I believe the fundamentals changes regarding LWNEXT will also make both sites redundant "in a good way"

I want to thank guys like DJ , Rene and others for taking the time to help out

You can download all presets here http://3dxyz.pro/Presets.zip

if you need the wiki use wayback machine
    http://web.archive.org/web/201601211...htWave_History

if you need a community goto www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki , your admins will take good care of you.

cheers and sorry

Thanks OnlineRender for your efforts and also for making the presets available as zip file. Cheers!

Thanks too OnlineRender for what you tried to do there, and absolutly great that you compiled all that to a zip file.
    I would like to say something though about why I personally hardly never visited that site, nor uploaded presets, not sure if that is of any use for you or if you really should take any notice about it..but anyway..

1. I felt the acess to the site was slow or if it was loading to much of something that made it slow.

2. Another part was that I thought there might have been too much of octane presets..at least intitially

3. I myself was annoyed over the fact that the lightwave3d page didnīt have the preset site available as a link, not what I could see..I mentioned this over and over several times in the forums, but nothing happened...I do however see it now in the third party section, not in the community section, I thought that was a little lame from those who managed the lw site...If I am wrong about that.and if it has been there somewhere for quite a while, in such Case I would apologize for such thinking.

those were some factors for me that sort of didnīt get me to visit the site often, canīt speak for anyone else than me though.
    I was actually about to put your preset page in my lightwave jumpgate page..which I just mocked up quickly for anyone who wantīs to acess just lightwave related forums and do without other newtek stuff..

PROMETHEUS JUMPGATE TO LIGHTWAVE...
    http://michaeli65.wix.com/prometheus

IT was not here...
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/community/

But here...
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/third_party/

Well we tried, I personally loaded some of those libraries into my surface presets and they could be pretty handy. And the surface testing scene is still a pretty good little place to try out surfaces. I was always a little disappointed that the LW community didn't contribute more to the experiment. I look forward to the new surfacing in LW and hopefully it makes surface presets redundant to some extent. Perhaps it will make the creation of credible surface materials less of a dark art, maybe that is why people didn't feel confident enough to submit more presets.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Well we tried, I personally loaded some of those libraries into my surface presets and they could be pretty handy. And the surface testing scene is still a pretty good little place to try out surfaces. I was always a little disappointed that the LW community didn't contribute more to the experiment. I look forward to the new surfacing in LW and hopefully it makes surface presets redundant to some extent. Perhaps it will make the creation of credible surface materials less of a dark art, maybe that is why people didn't feel confident enough to submit more presets.
    Maybe..but If I think more about it, I donīt believe so, in such case we wouldnīt have gotten preset uploaders to the old presetcentral either, that wasnīt really the case in my opinion, I would probably uploaded presets if the sites were good enough, and in my opinion I had some isssues with them, I only uploaded perhaps 3 presets of voxel presets to the old preset central, then the old preset central changed and I didnīt like the way you had to filter stuff to get to your desired group, thus I simply wouldnīt bother with that site, the 3dxyz arrived, and I thought it was designed with to large presets and in a similar way as blog posts, and it was slow and too much of octane materials in the beginning perhaps, didnīt like to browse around there, thus it wasnīt a pleasure to browse and consequently I didnīt bother to be active and post either.

I really do appreciate the work they did..and that was great, but I really wasnīt fond of them because of all that mentioned above.
    I actually recall the first old preset central, which had a better filter system

I wouldnīt consider insecurity on how a surface would work to be an issue for me to not post, definitly not, so with that said and the above said, I just can not come to that conclusion you did, perhaps others chime in with you?
    Michael

If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it...

it had it's fault but it was better than f-all , agreed with the points above /\ , the fact I got burnt pretty bad of another LW users just added to the pile, the preset uploader was native and nice but alas, 6 years I have been doing this, I'm tired I get zero to no help for LW3DG, it costs me a small fortune and my family time is sidetracked because I spend half my time answering questions, I have one last trick up my sleeve if that doesn't work
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 07-29-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it...

it had it's fault but it was better than f-all , agreed with the points above /\ , the fact I got burnt pretty bad of another LW users just added to the pile, the preset uploader was native and nice but alas, 6 years I have been doing this, I'm tired I get zero to no help for LW3DG, it costs me a small fortune and my family time is sidetracked because I spend half my time answering questions, I have one last trick up my sleeve if that doesn't work
    who is who that you respond to..or yourself? and what do you mean? by the first sentance?
    I express thanks anyway for what you did and tried to do, sorry it didnīt get recognized better.

I never had much difficulty with it, OnlineRender provided the site and everything needed to make it work, the LW community had been calling out for something like it, but when it came they didn't respond, didn't contribute and I'm chalking up it's failure squarely with the LW community that seemingly prefers squabbling to being productive.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    , sorry it didnīt get recognized better.
    it was more a dig at myself...
    the site was well used, the main preset scene was downloaded over 30k times, total presets downloaded "the ones I could count,rather than dropbox links" was 100k downloads,site averaged 5k hits a month... the problem wasn't functionality or lack of interest , it goes a bit deeper than that.... however I've worked out a way to streamline all this, save me money and hopefully build something a little more coherent, but you are dealing with a very narrow bandwidth of users and if 90% of them are taking rather than giving , your'e screwed from the kickoff.

Thanks OnlineRender for all your hardwork!
    You earned another beer, total number so far is 3.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    I know it's lazyness, and it's all down to me, but good as the site was, it was just far too much fuss to upload a preset. It seemed that the preset scene kept changing, too many rules involved, and just too much to do. I don't mind sharing presets, (I do it frequently here), but it really needs to be properly curated so all the user has to do is just upload a surface and everything else is done either automatically or by a paid staff member. That's why I think this will only work if done by LW3DG.

But thanks for trying.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

in order to make it work you gotta be somewhat of a Maverick Leader

some of us walk that street
    -people that deal with LightWave documentation
    -people that deal with plugins
    -people that deal with other LightWave projects

one thing i learned, took some time, but better late than never i guess, is...
    getting people to contribute to something has to be done on their premises

there's no room for wishing or hoping  

remember, all leaders fail, but they continue their journey, either in a slightly different direction or in a completely new one
    Last edited by erikals; 07-30-2016 at 03:59 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I think part of the problem is I'm always building on top of something , it's always a hack, wordpress is great but it involves shed loads of work to get it to function correctly, unlike a site that's developed from the ground up, this also reflects on speed "wp database queries are slow at times"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	906.8 KB 
ID:	133871

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    it was more a dig at myself...
    the site was well used, the main preset scene was downloaded over 30k times, total presets downloaded "the ones I could count,rather than dropbox links" was 100k downloads,site averaged 5k hits a month... the problem wasn't functionality or lack of interest , it goes a bit deeper than that.... however I've worked out a way to streamline all this, save me money and hopefully build something a little more coherent, but you are dealing with a very narrow bandwidth of users and if 90% of them are taking rather than giving , your'e screwed from the kickoff.
    Well...you are probably right on much there, but as individuals, you can not speak for how I perceived it, I wasnīt fond of the larger blog look of it all, also thought it was slow, and what was mostly octane presets initially, but now I am just repeating myself to make that clear, I might be uniqe compared to others visiting there...who know.
    I do know that I would rather have used the old preset central with itīs UI, but that may have been of total irrelevance for others..I donīt know.

I suspect it wasnīt just one factor here, but many others that counted in...if one factor was the overwhelming part of why the activity wasnīt there, I can only speculate...sure the sharing is also of importance, so that a lot of folks
    drag their straw to the stack, that was obviously not happening after a while, people also need to have been awar of your preset site and with easy access, and that I spoke of seem to have been something that the lightwave group may have been able to support better?

So if someoned decides to do another site, what should we try and do to get it going?

1. do we need more support from the lw team on the whole thing?
    2. is it just that users are lazy..or not willing to share?
    3. or are users just afraid of posting, or simply hasnīt reached the level of skilled in order to put something of value there?

Just some thoughts...and questioning if there is something that needs to motivate people to add presets.

personally I thought and think that it should actually be a responsibility of the Lightwave group itself to provide and maintain a preset resource, on their own site, not scattered around elsewhere, and make it pretty darn visible for easy acess, ideally you could have some sort of content resource, which also is acessable through the software itself, just as we go for help content menu etc, you could have a content button, which opens a site on the lightwave3d page, to find all original presets as well as newer content, and one major section where the best ones is validated my the lw team or votest as highest ratings, then another one with all kinds else uploaded.

THE PROMETHEUS LIGHTWAVE JUMPGATE..
    http://michaeli65.wix.com/prometheus

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    in order to make it work you gotta be somewhat of a Maverick Leader

some of us walk that street
    -people that deal with LightWave documentation
    -people that deal with plugins
    -people that deal with other LightWave projects

one thing i learned, took some time, but better late than never i guess, is...
    getting people to contribute to something has to be done on their premises

there's no room for wishing or hoping  

remember, all leaders fail, but they continue their journey, either in a slightly different direction or in a completely new one
    Wise words, though some modification may bring more truth to the statements ..Some leaders fail is better suited in your case statement, but if you go for all leaders fail, you really should add ..some dies or give up (or carries on..as you already said )
    If you would have said, succesfull leaders... that would be enough thought...(god what is it with me)..maybe I got aspbergers..I knew what you ment anyway)
    I agree completely on the "getting people to contribute part"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast