Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New forum.

New forum.

Just want to say that its great to have the forum back up and running again.
    Felt lost when the other forum went down. I nearly had to phone "Forums anonymous" for help with
    withdrawal symptoms but you have risen from the ashes just in the knick of time.

Just wasn't the same without the Lightwave Forums!
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Ground control to Major Tom

I thought they would improve the forums. Its nice its back up though.

I'm sure they focussed on getting it back online live, before updating settings and skins of the forum.
    Good to see it's back!
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Can we expect to have recent threads restored to this forum? I had a detailed discussion going about system configurations for LightWave and hoped to update it now that I have my system basically completed.

Steve Bowie said the last 2 months are gone forever.

ignore/deleted

I had to register again as all my info and threads were lost. Too bad a backup wasn't done.

Quote Originally Posted by doublexx View Post
    Steve Bowie said the last 2 months are gone forever.
    <cynic mode invoked>Isn't that the most recent period when it has gotten most rancorous?? with discontent. Who needs a backup anyway, isn't that just for wimps?? "Oops, we lost all those malcontents, oh well." </end cynic mode> I am happy it is up again, and sincerely look forward to encouraging development. Salud!
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Quote Originally Posted by jbynum View Post
    I had to register again as all my info and threads were lost. Too bad a backup wasn't done.
    Apart from the missing months, there shouldn't be any problem. If you have an old account and associated threads, they should still be there.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

This really is amateurish. I am sorry but it is. It's 2016 and the website/forum is a central plank of marketing; it's not 1998 any more. I thank Newtek for saving me cash; I won't ever be upgrading Lightwave while a joke forum exists that has a psychiatrist green hue out of "Girl Interrupted" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest".

Why do I bother posting? Great product. Awful messaging and awful marketing. That was been the quasi-autistic culture of Newtek since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by saranine View Post
    Why do I bother posting?
    I think only you can answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by saranine View Post
    It's 2016 and the website/forum is a central plank of marketing; it's not 1998 any more.
    Actually, the general feeling seems to be that forums are a bit prehistoric in this age of social media. I personally find them quite useful as a way to get to know customers, their achievements, challenges, and personalities too. Over time they also provide a deep resource, and surely to some degree they reduce the burden on support as newbies mount the various slopes of learning. Working in Video Engineering, I appreciate how quickly I can sometimes ferret out a bug in a new release thanks to this venue. It's happened a few times that this has resulted in 'same day' patches.

They do of course have downsides - not just in terms of resources required to provide and maintain them, but the sheer negativity that occasionally obtains. There are some who clearly operate pretty much full-time on the squeaky premise, and (not speaking of present company here, just broadly about the topic of forums) others who are evidently completely incapable of being courteous or tactful. I can say with some certainty that the net result of that sort of forum activity is the predominant reason that many top flight working professionals and most members of the respective dev teams just threw up their hands in disgust and walked away from the forums year by year.

Still, that's just one factor in the general 'meh' attitude toward forums broadly. The majority today seem to prefer the instant gratification of a tweet or less fractious (if overtly curated and bland) realm of blogs and Facebook pages. I can tell you that when the creaky old server the forums were on fell over and couldn't get up, there were some recommending we just say a few kind words in memoriam and commit them to their final resting place. It's a different era, wherein breaking news takes the form of a bumper sticker and what passes for discourse used to be called heckling. Forums well well be an anachronism and close to passing off the scene entirely.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    From my experience w/LWG on Facebook, it seems that discussions on the forum, ie HERE, are MUCH more in-depth and continuous, and the impression is they don't scroll off into obscurity nearly so fast.

FB seems like Twitter compared to this forum. It's certainly not as useful a resource as this forum.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

i think I can agree with Jeric here.-
    You guys can count me out of being in the General group of feelings that the forum is old age media forum..well maybe it is..but it still is better than facebook, I would hate it if it would only live on facebook, I do not want other distracting messages or groups ..or having web data tracked by facebook, perhaps sold etc, I am a non facebook user and have no intention whatsoever to register, I had a test registration..that was enougT
    if the consensous is these forum is old age social group, another type is needed..and I donīt know what would be better..or what is available out there right now..but hardly facebook.

There is a definitly a reason and a need for a forum like this, where things are structured easy to track in forum sections with post etc, the question in my opinion shouldnīt be..should it be only facebook and delete these forums, the question should in my opinion be...why doesnīt the work kick in on improving this site, itīs been a long long time now since we brought forth ideas on making the gallery section better..instead it declined and became worse without thumbs only to still hold that status.

if possible put all lightwave stuff in a main section, namely lightwave community, and put lw tips and tricks section in under that with itīs subpostings, put genera lw support in there too and the other lw groups that is scattered around, there are old core or workshops that should be active in the main lw group to be useful, as it is now bullet workshops or nodes are floating in a void instead of serving as topics in a properly structured gathered section.

Good things should come out of the bad things with the crash, almost like a forest fire bringing forth new species etc..One good thing that is a bit old that came out of it, for me..I got the email notifications working again

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast