Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New forum.

[Duplicate post, sorry]
    Last edited by bobakabob; 07-27-2016 at 01:36 AM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

When the Forums went down, the wording suggested it was an opportunity for a new improved site...

Also recent stats on the forum read that over 2000 people visited on a particular day in 2015 - ofc that includes Newtek's other products, but surely that's not bad at all.

This site is an invaluable community and knowledge base and has distinguished LW from the competition. If FB can't be configured to search then there's no point moving there. A FB page also amounts to a single thread...!

Also, agree with spherical, you can't substitute for crowd knowledge and the trolls are the last people who should dictate what happens.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Wouldn't it be easier just to clean up the forums or better split them - move the LW forums to LW domain and archive everything here?
    Burning down the house seems like an extreme way of starting a makeover?

I don't care where the forums are, but a move to Facebook for user communication would be a silly move - it's so full of detritus that is thrust in your face. At least on forums you can naviagate from the threads you know will give nothing useful when faced with a problem, and actively search for old answers before asking anew. Facebook would be fine for a "I have a problem and can't be bothered to look for an answer or have five minutes before the client arrives so help me NOW!" situation, but it's not a comprehensive encyclopedia of hints and tips. And the beauty of the hints and tips in these forums is that you can easily date them, by when the post was written. If I googles for hints and tips it's a random bag thrown up, here I know a post from 2012 may not work, but you can more easily judge for yourself.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Newbie Member
    Guys, i believe we are missing the perspective. What our community needs is new a NEW and dynamic LW, and not a new forum!!

That's what i call " To the point "....
    I think i might leave...
    I did try to do a project with a friend of mine @ C4D and honestly speaking i was impressed by how it is easy to do that complicated thing like that ( I work very well with node's & i did many good stuff with LW ), but what am talking about you don't need to be Rocket scientist or spend hours to do something i took literately 7 min with tweaking and i am 1st time !!!....what......
    And volaaaa all what i did is dynamic's Ready !!!
    I was laughing like crazy...
    Plus in my opinion world class SDK that allow people like Houdini " yes... " and Next limit to integrate like that !!! i saw that for Houdini last year at IBC...didn't see RF but am expecting to do this year..
    Well...i will not upgrade anymore...i will save the money to Buy full Studio chair...I was really not lost in Navigation inside C4D...and that give me a confident to leave my fair to try..

That's my personal opinion...Good Luck NEWTEK...I hate what you really did to LW...you killed that software with your way of 1st developing & 2nd communicating.
    Imagine just an example before i go, brad peebler left LW..Build Modo..look modo today & he is leaving
    and we are just think about forum interface :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    -> ThomasHelzle: Cheers Berlin! All good again over here, much better once the confusion started to fade...
    Phew... Good to hear!

Cheers,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by korolev View Post
    Guys, i believe we are missing the perspective. What our community needs is new a NEW and dynamic LW, and not a new forum!!
    I donīt agree with that, look at the perspective..and the fact that we wanīt a better forum and not a lesser good forum or no forum at all, that doesnīt implicitly mean that we do not want a better lightwave.
    What we need is both of that, it will complement the best of interests, for us to learn and give feedback..as well as when the lightwave team develops lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    When the Forums went down, the wording suggested it was an opportunity for a new improved site...

Also recent stats on the forum read that over 2000 people visited on a particular day in 2015 - ofc that includes Newtek's other products, but surely that's not bad at all.

This site is an invaluable community and knowledge base and has distinguished LW from the competition. If FB can't be configured to search then there's no point moving there. A FB page also amounts to a single thread...!

Also, agree with spherical, you can't substitute for crowd knowledge and the trolls are the last people who should dictate what happens.
    Yes..that is what I mentioned too, activity boost around new releases, itīs just natural causality effects when activity is initiated by newtek/lightwave group in the form of a new product to discuss.
    Purely by entering a few post from Lino or Rob discussing lightwave is at least two more in the statistics of activity and what follows from that is increasing answers and more activity.
    Yes I also noticed the message board about improved sites, that sort of looks like a complete contradiction to some thoughts about shutting the forum down ..at least in this form.

I think that a conclusion that the activity was dropping and that is the incitament to maybe shut it down may be a narrow in conclusion, but the big question to ask or debate If someone makes that assumption, that is Why did activity drop, can the assumptions be backup up that facebook is where everyone is, or is it just a wish that it is so?
    Does lack of information from the lightwave team have anything to do with dropping activity?

Or is it just the actual development phase that takes a bit of a time and that is one major factor to why people tend to drop their activity, if we canīt establish what may have been the major factors causing the drop in activity (provided that drop wasnīt just temporarily as it must be now and then)

As it standīs now a lot of folks here shout out in desperate, keep it alive and tries to defend itīs existance ..maybe a bit in vain if we do not get to the bottom about why the activity dropped, and if that is the major factor for the newtek/lightwave team to start thinking about moving to other social media, or if thereīs any other factors in there.

Could lightwaves stated intention to provide a new and better forum mean that there will be a new forum created/available
    at the same time as the new version of lightwave is released.
    Were we can discuss all the new features functions and issues. This new forum should also have a direct link to the present
    forum so we can continue to post threads and posts concerning all aspects of lightwave.
    Kind of makes sense to me but then again in the not to distant future we could have a familiar issue rise again [Modeler/layout split issue] with these
    sorts of comments
    "I prefer the 2 seperate forums to become one"
    "I like the new way better"
    "I don,t really care im easy"

Quote Originally Posted by cove View Post
    "I prefer the 2 seperate forums to become one"
    The database that runs the forum here can be segmented out to archive only the LightWave sections and export them. Then that export can be installed on LightWave3D.com/forum and continue from there, as if it originated there a long time ago. I don't get why this hasn't been done long before now. Not rocket surgery. Further, what with the evidently "preferred" products being continually shifted up above the LightWave sections, it would then make even more sense to just get us pains-in-the-butt out of the way.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Just a small indie studio here, so let me explain. During the recent week, I hit "not found" responses to Google inquiries directed to the Lightwave forum on some problems I am having on a project. Those "lost weeks" have now cost me time and frustration, and it is not and was not necessary, and no sorry?? Isn't there a sense of loss? I shouldn't have to 'school' anybody, and it shouldn't make any one at Newtek "head to the bunkers" and close the doors. An 'about face' is needed and action taken, thank you. I don't have an IT dept. I am "it," and I don't have problem solving developers, I am "it." Why am I saying this? Just as an example of how useful the forum is to hundreds of us, even when we don't contribute, or complain, which I do both, and, I always offer complements anytime I can. Now, just a couple of days ago, I ran my backups on all of my data, resources, and files for myself and my clients, which I do on schedule. I bought extra drives years ago and an extra render station that is also a secondary backup, and, surprise, after a crash or two(2) this week, I was able to restore some important project files, from the second(2)!! backup drive. I don't know of any studio that doesn't have a plan and keeps it up. It is how I was taught, and how I teach others. I can not believe in any sensible way that any studio doesn't have a strategy. "Stuff" will happen, count on it, and having a safety net is the only responsible reply. I'm I sure that I have 'it' all covered, no way, so I do keep double backups of systems and drives.
    So, how hard is it to share anything about the process that is?/isn't going on at Lightwave. It isn't hard, I'm doing it right now.
    And the forums, glad to have it back!! as I said, I come daily. I changed my color scheme, thank you to another contributor. I asked for gallery, focused Lightwave forum choices. I have choices. I also maintain Blender (was a system compiler [Win32XP] for two(2) years while Freestyle was a branch until I shifted to 64 bit) and now use it to problem solve things that I can't do easily in Lightwave, current version. I maintain modo, for years and like aspects of it also, and am annoyed at other aspects, none of them are perfect. I also visit both of those forums daily, it is my morning routine, and both of them help me, and they have a gallery at top. I know that there are other places on Newtek where images are included, but I don't go there, everyday, and without some reason to click over there, the forum is my place. Please, let me know if anything I have said is offensive or off? as that is never my intent. Engage!! Please!!
    Last edited by paulhart; 07-28-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

I personally co-moderate an audio forum and so I know a lot about the pain it includes.
    Some people really get at your weak spots (different ones for everybody) and have possibly no other life or purpose.
    So at that forum, I share the load with others and when I'm personally attacked or somebody just finds my weak spot and I have a hard time staying neutral, I ask one of the others to deal with it.
    And what I learned is, that you really need to sort out the bad apples, since they can turn a whole forum around into a pile of raving lunatics and keep away the good guys 'n gals.
    So my very experienced colleague simply does ban them at a point where I would still be reluctant and it really works.
    - The users sometimes come back under another name but after a while they lose interest.
    - Other users get the message too and adjust their tone.
    But every now and then you get another such person and go through it again...
    That's life.

So: Overall I really understand why many people/devs/companies find forums totally horrible. If you aren't used to it, it can feel like a horde of idiots raving at you.
    I personally actually use moderation as a kind of "Zen" training - trying to see through the foaming-at-the-mouth insults and see what is behind.
    Sometimes I can turn things around, sometimes I can't.

But: As many different things as I've tried out, to this day I haven't seen anything better for communication about something like an audio- or 3D software etc. than a forum.
    Yes, people on the internet tend to turn into un-inhibited fools quite often (and I myself did on the occasion ;-) ), but like my "garden" allegory above, it really matters how you cultivate it. If you invest at least a base level of energy, you CAN make it into an asset!
    And man what an asset a forum like the Lightwave forum is!

And there are things that one can do:
    - Get some help. Ask some of the level headed and knowledgeable people that visit the forum to become co-moderators.
    - Ban the guys with the torches - and also those who are able to ignite others, even if they play harmless. Bad apples do not help anybody.
    - And there are technical things one can do, like for instance "Ambient Online" is a very friendly community and on their forum you can "thank" people for their posts and your name is shown below the post as one who thanked, which I find psychologically clever. The moderators are very active and personally welcome and encourage people. Overall this creates a feeling of thankfulness and respect...

A forum really is what you make of it.

I would highly encourage the LWG to embrace it.

Cheers,

Tom

I am awaiting the augmented forum where ubercams or scanning camīs is used and we all really actually have to face each other..after having our faces and bodies scanned in realtime, it is also allowing for another type of communication ..where our emotions and intentions can be seen with our 3d faces immediately, and having a good conversation with the help of body language ..such language the Italians are good at, so Lino Grandi will have the front position for that

- And there are technical things one can do, like for instance "Ambient Online" is a very friendly community and on their forum you can "thank" people for their posts and your name is shown below the post as one who thanked, which I find psychologically clever. The moderators are very active and personally welcome and encourage people. Overall this creates a feeling of thankfulness and respect...
    nice!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast