Thread: Upgrade to SSD Drives?

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar

Upgrade to SSD Drives?

We have a 455 that has been upgraded to a 460, then AE and soon to AE2.
    We travel occasionally, and although we can remove our data drive before moving the unit, I wonder if it would be beneficial to upgrade the internal drive to a new SSD. No moving parts are always a good thing and the new Samsung 850 Pro drives have a 10 year warrantee.

Just wondering if anyone has done this. I found an old thread from 2013 talking about this but there was never any resolution.

While we are on the subject, anyone using SSDs (with an adaptor) in the front of their machines as a removable drive? If so, what is your experience?

Thanks Everyone!

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, Spark & Bird Dog converters
    http://reddogrecords.com

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    You can do it, but you will need to use NewTek's own drive backup software to clone the system drive - which means using an SSD over 480GB to fit it on. This is definitely a warranty voiding update, but it is possible (and will make startup faster). Keep in mind that TriCaster internals are tightly packed and anchored down solidly - don't try it if you aren't completely comfortable working with these types of challenges. While conceptually the same, it might not be as simple as a normal PC drive upgrade.

And again - this isn't a NewTek blessed upgrade.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

Andrew we have a Dual SSD Removable Drive bay installed on our 410, it's the best, it's so easy, just record to the D drive ( Still the original 3.5" Drive) as a backup, and also to 1 of the SSD's Then pop it out and straight onto a dock connected to the Mac.

Video Producer, So Calif.
    This is great info, thanks guys! I'm in the same boat and going to make the ssd jump as well. There is an ssd sata-to-usb3 adapter we use for offloading ssd's to our Mac and they rock.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

Great info!
    Do you know which dual drive bay you are using for your 410?

We love redundancy, and usually record internally and externally (and in all cameras) just to ensure we get the recording.

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc

Quote Originally Posted by jmmultex View Post
    And again - this isn't a NewTek blessed upgrade.
    Thanks for the info John!
    Our unit has been out of warrantee for a while and I have built a few rackmount systems/servers so I understand the challenges of squeezing components into a single or dual rack space unit. Funny, it wasn't until after I read your comments that I realized we have never opened up our tricaster! Of course, since our unit happens to be out of the rack right now I took the opportunity to quickly 'pop the top'.

It was amazingly clean in there! Of course, we did just get the motherboard replaced last year and we basically baby our devices. It actually looks like it will be pretty simple to swap out the 10,000 RPM Barracuda main drive should we decide to move in that direction. I will contact support regarding the backup software. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Hi Andrew - the backup software is built into the TriCaster. I upgraded my 860 to an SSD this past summer, which required quite a bit of disassembly to physically swap drives. As expected, the startup times are significantly better, so no regrets on this side.

Good luck with everything - if you have any questions I can help you with, don't hesitate to contact me directly ([email protected]) or direct message me.

Best,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

We use SSDs in our removable bay. We use a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO in a ICY DOCK EZConvert MB882SP-1S-2B converter.

We've had no problems recording 4 1080p30 MPEG-2 files all to the SSD (using our upgraded 455/460). It's so nice to have them all on the same drive! And the drive/converter is so light -- and you don't have to worry about dropping it!

"I upgraded my 860 to an SSD this past summer, which required quite a bit of disassembly to physically swap drives.."

My Tricaster 460 AE has a 1TB HDD. It has 3 partitions.. C: 80GB system and programs. D: 830GB media. and 20GB unallocated. What capacity SSD did you use?

Will I need a 1TB SSD to make this swap? Can I get away with a 120GB, or a 250GB, with enough capacity for the system and programs?

Do you care to share the make of the SSD you are using? Thanks in advance!

Larry Brewer

Where can I get the Newtek drive backup software which is mentioned above?

It's on the TriCaster. Go to Admin > Backup/Restore
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1