Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NDI for 3Play?

NDI for 3Play?

I was wondering if there is anything in the pipeline for NDI through a 440 or 840? I would love the option of going full NDI on my productions.

3Play 440 and 4800 will have NDI support in a little while, can't say just when yet, but I'm hoping for by NAB if all goes well. This may not be quite what you're hoping for though; we're not adding support for NDI inputs for 3Play - the primary need seems to be NDI output (A and B).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Pardon my lack of research if this has been discussed or documented, but will a 3Play 425 output to a TriCaster 460 with the new Advanced Edition over the network? Or does this not work because of the NDI implementation? I haven't been able to test it yet.

Brian
    -- Brian Scheffler
    -- ScheffTech Productions, LLC
    -- ScheffTech.com
    -- Peoria, Illinois
    -- (309) 524-5865

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    nope. you will need to use hard inputs or roll back to AE V1
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    3Play 440 and 4800 will have NDI support in a little while, can't say just when yet, but I'm hoping for by NAB if all goes well. This may not be quite what you're hoping for though; we're not adding support for NDI inputs for 3Play - the primary need seems to be NDI output (A and B).
    I wish this weren't true. If it did support NDI inputs it would eliminate the need for SDI DAs or Routers. Just sayin'
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Could be a resource problem? Similar to the dropping of the number of isocorders on the TriCaster side?

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

3PLAY update for NDI now live! Available for 425/820 as well!
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I was at NAB and listened to the presentation by Don about 3play. He said very specifically that the 3play would accept cameras as an NDI source. Did something change?
    TC40 v2
    TC855
    LiveText
    LT Scoreboard
    JVC cameras (700, 650 & 100)

Perhaps there was some misunderstanding. At present, at least, NDI in to 3Play is limited to the DSK layers. They could be cameras, but these cannot serve as primary replay sources.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Perhaps there was some misunderstanding. At present, at least, NDI in to 3Play is limited to the DSK layers. They could be cameras, but these cannot serve as primary replay sources.
    Really REALLY hope that is going to change soon. Camera inputs are where we really need the same NDI capabilities. Would be great to go into the TriCaster with hard lines even and then NDI out to the 3Play inputs. Pretty Please??
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I have a 410 AE and a 425 3Play, does this mean I will see the NDI camera sources in the 425? Or will I have to use some sort of software to take the NDI out and put it into a HD-SDI connection and then move it into my 3 Play?

Any hope that this feature will change so cameras can be primary replay sources over NDI? We really want to use NDI to transport cameras to our Tricaster, but if we can't use it with a 3Play, I'm reluctant to go that route. I'd hate to have to run fiber everywhere, so could you maybe explain why this limitation exists?
    Gabe Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
    I'd hate to have to run fiber everywhere, so could you maybe explain why this limitation exists?
    Essentially, it's because various products spring from sometimes similar but not identical code branches, and the architecture can be different enough to make wedging some new feature in rather more daunting. Too, the standard resource burden on a 3Play tends to be somewhat more demanding. I don't want to speculate, so speaking of present possibilities, one wanting to use NDI would need to first supply video over NDI, which would allow one to route and use it as pleased on NDI enabled systems, but convert it back at some point upstream of 3Play's primary inputs. I realize that's not as convenient as we would all like.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Essentially, it's because various products spring from sometimes similar but not identical code branches, and the architecture can be different enough to make wedging some new feature in rather more daunting. Too, the standard resource burden on a 3Play tends to be somewhat more demanding. I don't want to speculate, so speaking of present possibilities, one wanting to use NDI would need to first supply video over NDI, which would allow one to route and use it as pleased on NDI enabled systems, but convert it back at some point upstream of 3Play's primary inputs. I realize that's not as convenient as we would all like.
    Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I figured it would be something like that; I realize 3Play is often more resource intensive, so I can't say I'm surprised.

We don't have a 3Play right now, but I don't want to adopt a technology that (if we got the money for a 3Play later) would limit us. With no control room at the present time, we're trying to decide what path is next. I was hoping NDI would be that path to make a control room possible, but perhaps I need to explore some other options. Not a deal breaker, but could be in the future if we had the money to expand.
    Gabe Thomas

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
    Any hope that this feature will change so cameras can be primary replay sources over NDI? We really want to use NDI to transport cameras to our Tricaster, but if we can't use it with a 3Play, I'm reluctant to go that route. I'd hate to have to run fiber everywhere, so could you maybe explain why this limitation exists?
    I assume the TriCaster and 3Play are not near each other because you mentioned fiber?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast