Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AE 2 (4-0) - Things you need to know

Not with 'legacy' encoders, which the LiveStream encoder is. Advanced Edition does support streaming to multiple locations (like Facebook, YouTube, UStream, Twitch and many others) but they have to be using the new streaming engine to be supported. Anything that doesn't use the new streaming engine is limited to being the only streaming option if selected.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Not with 'legacy' encoders, which the LiveStream encoder is. Advanced Edition does support streaming to multiple locations (like Facebook, YouTube, UStream, Twitch and many others) but they have to be using the new streaming engine to be supported. Anything that doesn't use the new streaming engine is limited to being the only streaming option if selected.
    I should have read this before updating. If Livestream updates to a new streaming engine will it possibly be added as a multiple option?

Also, I'm still struggling with understanding how the new moving around of MEs works. I immediately grabbed my controller joystick and learned that doesn't do the trick anymore. If I'm doing a custom ME with a video background on my A bus and a camera feed on my B bus how do I size/position those layers?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnotestine View Post
    I should have read this before updating. If Livestream updates to a new streaming engine will it possibly be added as a multiple option?

Also, I'm still struggling with understanding how the new moving around of MEs works. I immediately grabbed my controller joystick and learned that doesn't do the trick anymore. If I'm doing a custom ME with a video background on my A bus and a camera feed on my B bus how do I size/position those layers?
    I thought that still worked the same as before? Select "A" up top of on the control surface next to the joystick, make sure you have the correct ME selected and go nuts.

What annoys me is the animation presets in LiveSets didn't translate over. Had to manually set my zooms.
    Operations Manager, WBUP/WBKP
    TC 8000 AE

It doesn't seem to work that way for me. I'm guessing this paragraph explains my issues:

"LiveSet Positioning: The former 'mini' LiveSet editor provided in the M/Es has been replaced by controls that are directly accessible in the Live Desktop. For the Background layer in an M/E with a LiveSet effect loaded, use the T-Bar to zoom, or right-click and drag on the POSITION button below the T-bar; to pan, left-click and drag on the same button."

That explains how to resize the A bus, but not the B bus.

If your M/E in 'Mix' or 'Effect' mode? Is what you have loaded a transition or a LiveSet (or 2, 3, 4 Layer effect). If a transition is loaded, then the M/E is in Mix mode and you don't have positioning controls.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    If your M/E in 'Mix' or 'Effect' mode? Is what you have loaded a transition or a LiveSet (or 2, 3, 4 Layer effect). If a transition is loaded, then the M/E is in Mix mode and you don't have positioning controls.
    That's probably it - I'm still getting used to all the new bells and whistles.

Is there a way to change the overlays that correspond to DSK1 and DSK2 to say DSK1 and DSK2 on the software again? I see that you can change the names, but it effects the names of the inputs. I understand that they are more versatile now, but without the identification in the software it is going to be confusing for my students.

I immediately grabbed my controller joystick and learned that doesn't do the trick anymore.
    It should. Nothing significant has changed with respect to repositioning individual M/E layers, either with respect to the control surface, or in the user interface. The remark re: "the 'former Mini LiveSet editor" has nothing to do with layer (A-D) positioning, but rather with zooming LiveSets.

On the tangential point of losing virtual set presets, I sympathize. I forget the exact reason why this happened, but it seems to me that there was some difficulty translating the former preset system into the new 'Comps/Presets' system (Comps are vastly superior to the old virtual set preset system, on models supporting them).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Is there a way to change the overlays that correspond to DSK1 and DSK2 to say DSK1 and DSK2 on the software again? I see that you can change the names, but it effects the names of the inputs. I understand that they are more versatile now, but without the identification in the software it is going to be confusing for my students.
    Hard to say.

We constantly try to minimize unnecessary clutter; you would not believe (seriously) how much work goes into keeping all of these controls compact, convenient, clutter free and properly aligned. The 24 or so vertical pixels it takes to add a label does make a difference. It seemed to us that the DSK (and similar KEY layer) controls were pretty obvious by virtue of being separated from the mixer to the right (i.e., notionally downstream) of the background layer controls, including the T-Bar, but we may have gotten that wrong.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    It should. Nothing significant has changed with respect to repositioning individual M/E layers, either with respect to the control surface, or in the user interface. The remark re: "the 'former Mini LiveSet editor" has nothing to do with layer (A-D) positioning, but rather with zooming LiveSets.

On the tangential point of losing virtual set presets, I sympathize. I forget the exact reason why this happened, but it seems to me that there was some difficulty translating the former preset system into the new 'Comps/Presets' system (Comps are vastly superior to the old virtual set preset system, on models supporting them).
    OK - it auto detects "effect" and activates when a live set is chosen, but how do you activate "effect" when you aren't using a liveset?

For example- I have ddr2 with a background video on the A bus and camera 2 on the B bus. I can't get it off "mix" to utilize the positioner and joystick. Does it have to be a virtual set now? Will I have to create a virtual set with that video background?

...but how do you activate "effect" when you aren't using a liveset?
    You don't, nor do you need to. I think I see what has confused you, and will explain below.

I have ddr2 with a background video on the A bus and camera 2 on the B bus. I can't get it off "mix" to utilize the positioner and joystick. Does it have to be a virtual set now? Will I have to create a virtual set with that video background?
    You always needed a LiveSet effect to use the positioner to control the A and B layers. This hasn't changed. In Standard Edition, for an M/E in Effect mode, the only effects that were available for loading were LiveSet effects.

I'm going to make some assumptions now for the purpose of explanation, but there are variations remaining for which this is equally true.

You have what you refer to as a 'background' video from a DDR selected on the M/E's A row. If you really mean this to serve as the background (shown behind camera 2, which is selected on B), you would never have been able to do this using a mix effect (such as the default Fade transition) - not in any version of TriCaster. With such a transition loaded, the only time you'll see any part of the B layer is during or after a transition. (You could, mind you, forget about the B row and put Cam 2 into a KEY layer, which you could then use to position it over the 'background', but I think you're thinking of a different setup.)

I think you're mis-remembering the fact that for Standard Edition with an M/E in 'effect mode', the default effect was "2-Layer", found in the "Default" folder along with other LiveSet effects. With this effect loaded, then as now, you could put your 'background' DDR in the B layer, with Cam 2 above it in the A layer, and position the latter using either the UI or Control Surface tools. This would leave your KEY layers free for other purposes.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Very nice thread!

Thank you for all the info!

Im still on version 1 on my 860.
    I am wondering if the original post needs to be amended? IT says that we are limited in AE2 to 4 iso recording streams but from other posts I thought I read that Newtek has brought back the capability of 8?

I read here also that iVGA is no longer supported and that an NDI app takes its place.
    Is that as easy as putting ivga on a separate machine.??

Will we still be able to record one mp4 (H.264) file while recording the main mix etc..?

Personally I am not much interested in NDI. I use SDI cameras and do not see where NDI is going to help me.
    IF I could get 720P to be really progressive instead of being interlaced when in a 1080i session I would just stay with AE1. Works for me.
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

Quote Originally Posted by edmellnik View Post
    Im still on version 1 on my 860.
    I am wondering if the original post needs to be amended? IT says that we are limited in AE2 to 4 iso recording streams but from other posts I thought I read that Newtek has brought back the capability of 8?

** Latest AE can record 8 videos on 8-input machines

I read here also that iVGA is no longer supported and that an NDI app takes its place.
    Is that as easy as putting ivga on a separate machine.??

** Yes, you just install free NDI Scan Converter app on PC or Mac, works similar to iVGA (but better!)

Will we still be able to record one mp4 (H.264) file while recording the main mix etc..?

** Yes, you can record an H.264 file in addition to the .mov recordings

Personally I am not much interested in NDI. I use SDI cameras and do not see where NDI is going to help me.

** You are not forced to use NDI cameras. But you can benefit from NDI sources from computers in place of iVGA. Something to consider is that NDI Scan Converter doesn't just output whatever is on the PC screen, but rather can send multiple NDI outputs from multiple applications at same time. If the computer has dual screens, content of each can be its own independent NDI stream to TriCaster. As an example, when I do TriCaster training, I can run NDI Scan Converter from Windows (on TC) before I launch TriCaster software, then the TriCaster UI screen, AND the MultiView screen, are BOTH being put on the network as NDI sources, so then I am easily able to use them both as live sources in TriCaster and bring them up on the output projector! Just did a live demo via TeamViewer (running on another PC). All NDI outputs from TriCaster - UI, MultiView, Program - going to other PC running NDI Monitor, so remote viewer could see all those NDI sources.

IF I could get 720P to be really progressive instead of being interlaced when in a 1080i session I would just stay with AE1. Works for me.
    ** Not sure what that means. TriCaster converts all inputs to whatever the Session is set to. That's the way any vision mixer works - all source resolutions must match or how can it sync and switch cleanly between them if sources are different sizes, or interlaced versus progressive?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    ** Not sure what that means. TriCaster converts all inputs to whatever the Session is set to. That's the way any vision mixer works - all source resolutions must match or how can it sync and switch cleanly between them if sources are different sizes, or interlaced versus progressive?

Thanks

Jeff
    First of all thanks for all the info...
    but your last part is not entirely correct... i dont think.

In a 1080i session you can set a second stream up to record say... from Output 2. Output 2 can be set for 720p.
    So in recording the 720p on output2 I find that the recorded file is 720 interlaced. This must be a bug in that AE version 1.
    I also miss the transcode utility that could batch encode one type of file to a different codec. I understand that this
    has been incorporated into the main interface... but when I first looked at it when I installed the first AE2 it looked confusing.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

Hi Ed,

When you say the 720p recording is interlaced, how are you determining that - because of the way it looks, or does another app tell you the file is interlaced, or what? Because there is technically no "720i" format, doesn't exist. 1280x720 video is always Progressive (720p) - 1080i is the only Interlaced HD format in use. Perhaps because you are using a 1080i Session, then Output 2 is converted to 720p from Interlaced source, you are maybe seeing some "interlacing artifacts" in the 720p recording? Very curious about this.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast