Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Blender adds support for openVDB, what if LW next...

  1. #1
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,130

    Blender adds support for openVDB, what if LW next...

    I'm just dreaming a little here, I just read that Blender adds support for OpenVDB in its latest release. What if LW next also supports OpenVDB? then maybe we can import smoke,fire and liquid simulations from blender into LW and render with the new volumetric render engine. Wouldn't that be nice!

  2. #2
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I'm just dreaming a little here, I just read that Blender adds support for OpenVDB in its latest release. What if LW next also supports OpenVDB? then maybe we can import smoke,fire and liquid simulations from blender into LW and render with the new volumetric render engine. Wouldn't that be nice!
    I think I saw Lino mentioning that he would discuss openvdb in upcoming blogs, maybe I am wrong? to me it sounded that they were in the progress of implementing it.

    Tested the smoke stuff in blender, and it seems decent enough for some things, at least it reacts to all other forces and easy to set up with quick smoke, what I do not like about it..that is rendering and setting and controlling the colors and density, I would rather spend time tweaking such stuff with turbulenceFD.

    You might think..but I could render in lightwave then, but I guess you would have to go through the process of rendering with other tools ..that needs to care care of color and density too, so I have no clue on how effective that would be.

  3. #3
    openVDB can be more then smoke and volumetrics .....it would be very handy for liquids as well

  4. #4

    What if LW next also supports OpenVDB
    it will, so they said...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  5. #5
    i tested it , nice features
    i hope lightwave can import and export vdb files
    http://seghier.wix.com/designs
    HP 8770w / 3840QM / 32Go / K4000M /Windows 7 Pro 64bits

  6. #6
    Pretty sure its been mentioned that Open VDB will be in LightWave Next.

  7. #7
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,485
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Pretty sure its been mentioned that Open VDB will be in LightWave Next.
    Which could mean almost anything, of course. Hopefully LW3DG will give a bit more info on what level of OpenVDB support/integration is present in LW 2016/Next.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Which could mean almost anything, of course. Hopefully LW3DG will give a bit more info on what level of OpenVDB support/integration is present in LW 2016/Next.
    Well it means of course more then not addressing the format at all. I'm sure we'll find out eventually by the time it comes closer to release.

  9. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Pretty sure its been mentioned that Open VDB will be in LightWave Next.
    yep, Lino mentioned it
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  10. #10
    Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,701
    IIRC, it was a yes, but not initially.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

    My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •