Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Post Here, My Plan to The First Char-Anim of My Life

My First Post Here, My Plan to The First Char-Anim of My Life

Hi LWers

Actually the lw-community part of this forum is the only place I used to click whenever I came to visit this site since I have joined this forum, then I discovered other lw related parts and finally here.

Fellas, after purchasing two tutorial concerning char-anim I decided to start making my first animation.

It is really intimidating, difficult and perhaps disappointing at the early stages but I am going to make this happen and guess what, I am starting NOWWWWWW,

Please motivate me, encourage me, intimidate me and even curse me if you think it can be useful.

I want to start a thread in the gallery part exactly like our good friend Greenlaw and post my results progressively just like him,(where is he? I miss him he is truly a nice guy and one of the members that I like and respect a lot).

I should mention at the end that I have zero plan, no scenario, no skills or knowledge in drawing/fimling/etc... Nothing, I only have an average pc and a great heart and passion for what I am doing.

Love you guys, stay with me please <3

You don't have to be able to draw or know anything about filming when doing 3d animation, but it can help a great deal.
    If it's your first character animation. I would suggest to start with the basics, like make a walkcycle, lift a box etc. (If the charaxter is a biped)
    If you want to make short you should know these basics first. Then when you feel ready to make a short you need to have a story and a character.

Remember when you look at others work like Greenlaw for example, you have to remember that this is not his first character animation.

Good luck and start with more simple and easy things, don't try to do a Pixar style full length feature before you have some serious knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Farhad_azer View Post
    Hi LWers

Actually the lw-community part of this forum is the only place I used to click whenever I came to visit this site since I have joined this forum, then I discovered other lw related parts and finally here.

Fellas, after purchasing two tutorial concerning char-anim I decided to start making my first animation.

It is really intimidating, difficult and perhaps disappointing at the early stages but I am going to make this happen and guess what, I am starting NOWWWWWW,

Please motivate me, encourage me, intimidate me and even curse me if you think it can be useful.

I want to start a thread in the gallery part exactly like our good friend Greenlaw and post my results progressively just like him,(where is he? I miss him he is truly a nice guy and one of the members that I like and respect a lot).

I should mention at the end that I have zero plan, no scenario, no skills or knowledge in drawing/fimling/etc... Nothing, I only have an average pc and a great heart and passion for what I am doing.

Love you guys, stay with me please <3
    Character animation is quite involved. I get all tense, the fun goes away, and I am never satisfied with my results, so I never post them.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Ztreem my friend, I agree entirely, I am going to do according to what you said, I may add scenario later (which seems to be a stupid idea but I prefer to be without plan for now, ) the first step is always the most difficult one and I don't want to spend too much time for planning as it might make my first step even more difficult.

Shrox may also join me and start to upload his works,

My whole philosophy is that I have nothing to loose, the worst thing is that people will say "stop wasting time dude or sth like that, still not a big deal.

I am actually very stressed and did some stuffs,

Yes Ztreem, biped is going to be my short term goal for now,

Bringing a character to life, in what ever way is always fun but hard work. Lots of parts to move! But don't give up! Keep going.

Some simple tips which can help.

Imagine what your character is going to do in slow motion. Play it back in your mind and get a feel for it. If your character is rigged, play around with his hips/root bone... bob it about a bit like a soft toy. Get a feel for the character.

Then, it can be a simple way to start by keyframing the hips/root, and without going too mad on the motions, plot out the first second or two of movement. Much body language can be conveyed by motions of the root. Think about a puppet.

The rig you use will also have an effect on how you animate and how much control you have, I'll assume you're using Genoma, but I'd also highly recommend Rebelhills rhiggit and courses too. He is an exceptional teacher and wastes no time in squeezing your brain with information.

But I expect Genoma will be a good starting place. It might even be worth finding a pre-rigged character to play with first, get away from the technicalities and get into the fun bit.

When plotting out your actions, try to think in terms of seconds for an action. In a second we can step on both feet in a walk cycle. 12 frames one foot, 12 another. Running, 8 frames per step (3 steps a second), sprinting 6 frames per step (4 steps a second). Raise your hand and wave, put it back down... 3 seconds/ 72-75 frames. Once you get a feel for how long an action takes, you can start to just get a feel for timing.

Anyway, I don't want to ply you with info, but just some things to consider as you mess about. There are many techniques to animating, and everyones style is different. Animation is only wrong when it doesn't convey an intended action or an emotion. How you do it is the character you give it. Acting in slow motion. I'll cheer you on all the way as best I can! Best of luck!!

My recommendation is to get RebelHill's tutorials:
    http://rebelhill.net/html/bundles.html

And Ryan Roye's tutorials:
    http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/06/ryans-animation-kit/
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Character animation, for me, is one of the hardest things to do in Lightwave... or any software for that matter. There are so many things to think about before jumping in. As Spherical said, definitely look at RebelHill's stuff. He does an animation techniques tutorial (with the first parts available for free on this YT channel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AOp...KrZEEeAg4aph6m

I can recommend this book (as it was recommended by RebelHill) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Animat...YAAOSwYIhWjnGE it won't give you any details about Lightwave or any other animation software for that matter, but it does give you an in-depth look at character animation... timings, keys (keyframes), ease-in, ease-out, walk cycles, etc.

Also, you have access to Genoma and Genoma 2 - which come with a variety of preset rigs for you to play with and do test animations on. There's also RHiggit (which is a modular auto rigger) http://rebelhill.net/html/rhiggit.html

Ivan B (Top of 33 Multimedia) has some wonderfully detailed videos on Genoma and setting up a walk cycle: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6D...0f7LCcw/videos

Just remember to take small steps, because this has a very steep learning curve and you can get pee'd off with it very easily, very quickly.
    Last edited by Waves of light; 02-05-2016 at 02:51 AM.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

The first class I took in animation was for 3D Studio (dos). I had played around with stuff, including stick figures in the corners of books and stop motion, from the time I was a little kid. I had already been playing with Lightwave for a while on the Amiga. In the class they had us make a ball and go through all the basic animation tools with the ball. Stretch, bounce, make it roll, ect. Then for the weekend we had to add another ball and have them interact. It was kinda funny. It was so simple that the only thought was about the interaction and not how to get a movement. It all seems to just get down to, do the movements make the bunch of dots on the screen feel like they are alive and have emotions. My stuff is far from great, but it's better when I keep that in mind.

Please keep sharing your thoughts, it will be very important not only to me but to others,

I did not put emphasize on that I am not going to use any prepared model, I actually am going to model and animate and render EVERYTHING.

Actually those tutorials that u mentioned are for sure helpful, I recently bought though Ryan's IKBooster and Tom Roth's Char animation series. I can not afford any new tutorial.

Plz let me start by thread like the following one:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....Well-sort-of-)

I have no idea how to name my project, any opinion?

As is said earlier I instantly started to make things, One of the mind set for successful people is to take action immediately. So I will post my result as soon as I find an appropriate name.

Is it a good idea to start a new thread in Work in Progress section or do it here?

And one more thing, no blueprint neither, starting from absolute zero.

I am not masochist, just trying to challenge myself,

Is it a good idea to start a new thread in Work in Progress section or do it here?
    A dedicated thread in WiP is a better fit. When you learn some new technique that no one has ever seen, post it here.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

My border collie running. Terrible...

shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

May I please ask Shrox to do one of the followings:

Either ignore the great scene and perfect model and atmosphere and focus on not-perfect movements and keep discouraging me OR focus on improving things and encouraging me.

Spherical is one of the guys who has had impact on me and my future in CG (both positive and negative effects) and if possible I would like to discuss it later.

My state is so fragile ATM but I am sure I will impress you all.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....99#post1464899

May I please ask Shrox to do one of the followings:

Either ignore the great scene and perfect model and atmosphere and focus on not-perfect movements and keep discouraging me OR focus on improving things and encouraging me...
    My point was, you should do better!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

You sound like you're really keen, and that's all you need... don't worry about the "being able to draw", or "your ability to edit or compose stuff" for the moment. Keep working and before you know it, you'll be creating cool pieces of work! Good luck!

Also, many people suggest starting with a walk cycle, or something simple like that... walk cycles aren't actually as easy and straight forward as many think. Yes, it's easier than making a character jump, or swim or run and things, but just saying that if you find it stressful and hard, it's because it is

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm trying to encourage. Just saying that a walk cycle isn't always that easy, so if you don't succeed, keep plugging away, knowing that what you're doing isn't particularly easy for anyone else either.
    If you fancy trying something simpler than a walk cycle, try a bouncing ball, with squash and stretch, or a sphere with a couple of bones in and giving it some character

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ba...l=1&gws_rd=ssl
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast