Thread: What do I buy?

What do I buy?

OK what do I need or more less what will work the best to connect directly to the pc with windows 10 64 bit. And will this need a extra adapter to operate or also an extra power plug. Right now I have nothing so I am asking
    advise on a total package I need to get nevronmotion working'

Kinect for xbox?

Kinect for xbox 1?

Kinect for a pc?

Thank you.

kinect for windows xbox pc is your best bet. The new kinect isn't fully supported by Nevron yet and the newer kinect does not yield substantially better results. I consider the kinect functionality a decent introduction to the concept of motion capture, just be well aware of the limitations the kinect device has before investing into a setup that uses it.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Just want to add some info to Ryan's post.

If you really need it now and you're limiting yourself to Lightwave Nevronmotion, Kinect for XBox should be fine. This model should be pretty cheap right now and it's compatible with PC. You might possibly need to purchase an adapter.

Kinect for Windows would be a better device--it has better video quality controls and features Near mode, which is great for scanning 3D objects and face capture--but unfortunately this model was discontinued ages ago and you'd be very lucky to find one at a reasonable cost. (I have a three and I'm hoarding mine.)

Kinect One for XBox and Kinect 2 for Windows are the same devices, except for the special PC adapter kit. The Windows-specific model was discontinued to simplify Microsoft's product line, and you can purchase the adapter for Kinect One to make it a Kinect 2 for Windows.

If you're in it for the long haul, you might consider Kinect One with the PC adapter. Kinect One is a much higher resolution device with significantly cleaner depth data, and a better SDK that, unlike the original Kinect for XBox, is still supported. (Technically speaking though, the original Kinect for XBox was never officially supported for PC use.) The catch with getting a Kinect One is that, support for this device in LightWave/Nevronmotion is currently limited to the basics and there is no control panel access. I believe improved support is coming but there's been no official announcement for a Nevronmotion update yet.

Lately, I've been experimenting with using three synchronized Kinect One sensors for motion capture using iPi Mocap Studio. It works very well--the motion data is much cleaner and more accurate, but it's also very resource hungry and because you can only use a single Kinect One sensor per computer, the capturing has to distributed to three computers across a network. Network capture works well but it starts to get expensive and obviously not everybody is set up for it. But the situation may get better soon; I heard from a user who has been experimenting with a third party Kinect One driver and he's has had success in getting at least two Kinect One sensors running simultaneously on a single computer.

Hope this info helps.

G.

I purchased the Kinect for the xbox one and I purchased the adaptor for the pc. Thanks for the reply's. I had read in a few posts Greenlaw you have procedures to get it working. Thanks again.

I think that's a good choice but, as I said, support is currently limited in LightWave so you may have to wait a while to get full use out of it. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

In the meantime there are some other options you can explore right now, like iPi Mocap Studio, iClone with the 3DXchange Pipeline, and some of the 3D scanning tools that work with Kinect One. I like Mocap Studio because it allows me to use up to four sensors, plus several PS Move controllers for head and hand capture. I also have iClone but I haven't really used it yet. What interests me about iClone are the mocap editing tools--I'm thinking it may replace my aging Motion Builder but just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I've only tinkered around with Nevronmotion and Kinect One, just long enough to see how it worked. There are some very interesting possibilities there because you can link the incoming 3D capture data to almost any LightWave property. I want to spend more time with it but...sigh! Just way too busy with other things these days.

G.

well I have the Xbox one kinect and windows adapter and have it all hooked up and added the entire file into the location requested

everything looks like the same as in your setup description greenlaw but my figure just falls to the ground and does not get up

any ideas?

Got it to work!!! You have to de select......................Turn off the "Allow Play" button in the studio panel.
    Last edited by netstile123; 02-14-2016 at 09:35 AM.