Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Let's Share FiberFX results!

could be, hence the reason for bumping this thread.

i'll leave it to others due lack of time.

for now i find it nice.
    for hyper-realistic hair... we'll just have to wait and see.

i'm sure after a while we'll see how FiberFX competes.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

hair does render better in new version, I had density issues with 2015.3 where strange thing would happen in desert patches of hair, bits would go missing. I think you are confusing two problems, One/- how to style and groom hair, and Two/- how to get a good render look, the first one is easily solved – do your styling piece-meal in separate clumps in ZBrush and export the curves and stick it back together in LW, the second one, the look has been solved.

Hey Guys,

Hope the improvements in 2018 are worth it. I've been slowly learning all the steps to making dynamic hair. Here's one experiment that worked well in 2015. I'm using Blender to actually create and style the hair and my next step is to create a long hair style that I hope will interact with the shoulders properly. I'd been having problem with that in the past when somebody suggested increase the scene scale of all the object in the scene. Dynamics like ClothFx and others tend to do better if the geometry is not too small. This character is 25x bigger than she was when I first imported the scene into Lightwave from Poser. It seems to help a lot.

Susan Looks Around.zip

Hope the improvements in 2018 are worth it.
    should be, better FFX render, several FFX bugs fixed.

Bullet works fine in LW, Syflex is the way for long hair dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Syflex is the way for long hair dynamics.
    I have Syflex, but I've never been able to figure out how to anchor the hair to the character's head using it. Any tutorials you know of? Is it done with a weight map?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    I have Syflex, but I've never been able to figure out how to anchor the hair to the character's head using it. Any tutorials you know of? Is it done with a weight map?
    For info, Ryan Roye's video clip, but also the comments on the page.

I have Ryan's Tutorials on Syflex, but he does not really go into how to use Syflex for hair. He's got a few sample scenes that he includes, that has a character rigged with hair, but so far I've been able to figure out what he did.

LightWave Guru,
    Octane test on Facebook >
    https://www.facebook.com/safarifx/po...62954550497118

Looks pretty bad so far... I would like to see an example of decent animated hair. I can't belive that they hyped fiber FX in 2018. It is slow and tedious to work with and the end result is lacking to say the least. Video games have better hair effects then Lightwave. I would gladly pay 600.00 for a descent LW hair plugin.

Hey everybody,

I finally figured out how setup the weight maps so I can anchor the roots of the hair to the character's head. Having Paint Weight from 3rdPowers is really helpful, but not needed. Here's what I've got so far. A simple walk cycle hair movement test. I'm working on getting the right settings in Bullet to make the hair movements as realistic as I can.

Click on the image to see the animation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarah Hair Test.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	4.79 MB 
ID:	140230

https://youtu.be/sH2_29l6rFs
    This was my attempt using bullet on guides, so the hair would interact with the character's body realistically. This set up was for Sasquatch, but I could duplicate it for FFX, given an afternoon...

Name:	wip_weaver_004c_clip.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	140235
    Some current character work, using FFX '18. Styling was done with my homegrown hair tools, plus Lightwave's magnet. I do have some tip narrowing going on (via a gradient on fiber width, which wasn't easy to set up, because of FFX's tendency to update several million fibers at every little change). My settings do need some refinement, but I've got the render noise down to acceptable for trials levels.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Hey everybody,

I finally figured out how setup the weight maps so I can anchor the roots of the hair to the character's head.
    Look just to the right of where the part ends at the forehead. About 2/3rds through the animation, it clearly appears to "re-surface" from within the head, as if it had slowly submerged under the scalp/forehead surface prior.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Look just to the right of where the part ends at the forehead. About 2/3rds through the animation, it clearly appears to "re-surface" from within the head, as if it had slowly submerged under the scalp/forehead surface prior.
    Thanks.

That is because I'm using a proxy figure for the collisions that is slightly smaller than the character's head. I'm working on that problem now. If I can't fix it, I may just use a collision object, or use the actual character for collisions. It takes longer to simulate, but its doable and might be worth the extra time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    https://youtu.be/sH2_29l6rFs
    This was my attempt using bullet on guides, so the hair would interact with the character's body realistically. This set up was for Sasquatch, but I could duplicate it for FFX, given an afternoon...

Name:	wip_weaver_004c_clip.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	140235
    Some current character work, using FFX '18. Styling was done with my homegrown hair tools, plus Lightwave's magnet. I do have some tip narrowing going on (via a gradient on fiber width, which wasn't easy to set up, because of FFX's tendency to update several million fibers at every little change). My settings do need some refinement, but I've got the render noise down to acceptable for trials levels.
    Hey Kryslin,

That looks cool. Can you provide a screen shot of your bullet setting? I can't seem to get the end of the hairs to behave the way yours do.

Thanks in advance,

I'll have to dig out the scene and grab those screenshots over the weekend.

The trick has to do with shape retention; At the roots, you'll want it at 100%. Then, you'll want it to fade to about 5% by the tips.

I also used a low poly collision object. If you need the guides to follow the head movement, you want shape lock set to "Rotation and Position", and a weight map for the head applied to the guides.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    I'll have to dig out the scene and grab those screenshots over the weekend.

The trick has to do with shape retention; At the roots, you'll want it at 100%. Then, you'll want it to fade to about 5% by the tips.

I also used a low poly collision object. If you need the guides to follow the head movement, you want shape lock set to "Rotation and Position", and a weight map for the head applied to the guides.
    So, can I apply a weight map to Shape Retention to get that effect? I've been using it and Dampening to try to control the movements but it s not really working. As you an see from the GIF below, the hair near the tips is bouncing too much and the locks resting on the shoulders and chest are not moving enough. I had been using the weight maps on the mesh filter but it never occurred to me to use it on the Shape Retention.

Name:	Sarah Hair Test.gif 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.79 MB 
ID:	140273

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast