Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Share FiberFX results!

Let's Share FiberFX results!

Hi, we all know that it's hard to create long hair with fiberFX, now the tool is much better than many of us might think, only it's timeconsuming to create the hairstyle you're after.

So I thought... what if we all share our best results with FiberFX so we can improve ourselves and the tool.
    Here's my result of long hair, scene and object is attached.

Modeling and rendering in LightWave 2015.3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016 sylvia lang klassiek_02B.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	131879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016 sylvia lang klassiek_02.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	262.0 KB 
ID:	131880

2016 sylvia lang klassiek.rar

If you appreciate this I'd like to ask you to share your own best results!

Regards,
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

I prefer I girl head without hair..like sinead o connor or something, rather than a hair without a head.

That is very good by the way...haven´t checked the files though, but thanks for sharing.

will not jump in to the sharing though, since I don´t use it that much, and I will probably await for what´s up with the improvements in lw 2016.
    hope some others jump in though.

Yeah I've pretty much given up on getting usable results with it. Hoping having it made into an actual raytraced primitive and the new hair shader in 2016 will change my mind.

Fantastic!

Very nice. I use the tool often but for shorter hair and fur effects. My stuff would be ordinary and boring.

Very much looking forward to seeing where NewTek takes this tech.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Yeah, I'm sorry, I mean I can see the hard work and talent that has gone into it but I remain unconvinced by any of the FiberFX results I've ever seen, This is hair that can't ever be lit to match actual lighting and therefore it will always compromise the final image.

the hair sample from ruud is pretty good, for dark hair the shading comes out pretty ok, it´s not perfect and misses some highlight spec or depth in thair.
    there is also some hard angles on the back part of som curl guides, hair is never bent in curls in straight lines, so it may need more guide smoothness, that is the foremost eye impact that says it
    isn´t a real hair,( apart from the missing face) the shading is the nr two that might reveal it as cg hair, but it isn´t as prominent I think as the sharpe angled guides.

That all aside..it is a good sample.

Hi Ruud!

Thank you very much for doing this. You've inspired me to try again with this. Although FiberFx has got its problems and I do hope 2016 will bring improvements, This gives me hope I can use what you've shown to improve things in my work flow. I'm one of those poor smucks that uses Poser to animate my characters and bring them into Lightwave. After a lot of trail and error, I've finally found way to bring an poser animated character into Lightwave and be able to apply the dynamic hair and have it animate.

The only question is the styling. I've got some ideas on how to get the style I want, but I'm still confused on once you have your guide hairs how you use it to control the length and curves. I know you copy your guide hairs to another layers in your character object, but where in FiberFx do you tell it to use them?

Thanks in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    The only question is the styling. I've got some ideas on how to get the style I want, but I'm still confused on once you have your guide hairs how you use it to control the length and curves. I know you copy your guide hairs to another layers in your character object, but where in FiberFx do you tell it to use them?

Thanks in advance,
    Hi

All you need to do is choose your guide object layer, activate FiberFX, Choose the guides object layer in the object list and choose activate, The Fibers will follow the guides. Set your Guide Radius to 0, fiber smooth to 4 and the fiber kink to 0% if you want the fibers to follow the guides exactly.

I also go under the object properties of the guide layer and add a custom object Show Curves, This allows you to see your guides in layout. If you go back into the FiberFX panel and turn on the eyeball (OpenGL Preview) you will see the Fibers are following the guides exactly

Hope this helps

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by jboudreau; 01-15-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Thanks Jason,

That helps a lot. I fiddle with a it a little but only had so much time. I'll try again when I get home. I'll take Ruud's hair guides and scale them to fit on the V4 poser character and see if I can't get the hair to move well when she walks.

Wish me luck!

That's pretty good for FFX hair.

The poor shading quality of FFX compared to other hair shaders I've seen is what turns me off. Often FFX spec is waaay too soft/ blurry and doesn't have much detail.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

The poor shading quality of FFX compared to other hair shaders I've seen is what turns me off.
    yes, hopefully this will be fixed in 2016 with FiberFX reacting to Rays

for now all we have is post, still, i've seen plenty of mediocre Maya hair renders

LightWave post work, using layer modes (such as screen, overlay, color dodge...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FiberFX-Post.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	131914

wonder if FiberFX can be tweaked via DPont's tools?...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

some PhotoShop tweaks...

subnote;
    never got the time to check, but if this could be done using DPont's nodes inside LW it would be of big help
    Last edited by erikals; 01-16-2016 at 01:25 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Hi and thanks for thinking along.

The reason I posted a long hair example is because it's the most difficult to accomplish in any 3D package, I've been amazed by what other programs can do as well but I also see artists having the same trouble we're having in LW to create fine hair results (look at some game trailers or stills that are made in Maya, Max, C4D etc.

Sure there are some great examples of moving hair where we see the hairs really react to eachother, but that's almost every time a third-party, never in package, like fluid simulations, fire, water, fur is also a complex dynamic system.

That having said, I still disagree with a lot of you guys that FiberFX isn't competing with the other packages out there, the stability is awsome and with the right touch everything is possible.

My example is only 1 layer, with 1 layer of FFX added to it, so I didn't even stretch the tool to it's maximum of it's capabilities. What if I were using multiple layers, with loose fibers on the one, and some brighter strains on the other. After all, Maya and Max aren't working in 1 layered setting also, and often post is used to finalize the scene.

So, my result is just the beginning of what it could be, and I chalenge you to improve it, so we all can benefit.

The highlights in FFX are also quite good in my opinion, I don't want it to be too shiny because it will get a wet-look or dirty look, nice in a rain scene though...

The lighting is also pretty good, if you've looked at the scene you can add and change lights the way you want without compromising the FFX, indeed when you crank lights up to 1.000 % (for a nice backlight) or something the fur won't hold, but it wouln't in the real world also (standing close to the sun :-)) but then again, you always have the possibility of excluding FFX from that particular light, making lights for your character, lights for your background / surroundings, lights for fur and even lights especially for hypervoxels... well, that's how I build up a shot.

After all, in live action film it's being done exactly the same (flagging out parts of a scene with light)

We all want photoreal results right out of the box, well, none of the movies we like are done that way, it always includes post production.

At last, THANKS for the discussion, and I really hope we can create some nice setups here for everyone to download and use, and ofcourse the new 2016 release is something to look forward to, but I bet that the same rules apply to the new version.

Let's see some more!
    thanks!
    Last edited by ruud; 01-16-2016 at 04:13 AM.
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

True up to a point, as far as I understand it, FFX hair don't use reflectivity but fake the highlights with specular, so it's a false model that will never look real. It's a limitation I can't live with, so I just avoid hair or fibers totally and waiting for this next release to solve all this. It's too frustrating to put all that work into styling the hair if it can never look real in the end, you can hit it with all the filtering you want but these are just ways of hiding a problem.

For NPR character work it's pretty good though.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast