Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Share FiberFX results!

Hey Jason,

Thanks a lot. I've taken a look and the hair reacts very well! But in looking at your scene file, I can't seem to figure out how you did it. Can you explain what steps you took to get the hair to react the the dynamics? I take it that layer 3 is the splines, and the other layer is the strandmaker curves, but I don't see any of the settings that Ruud talked about such as parenting or Metalink.

Also, I noticed that when you took my hair and copied it to layer 3, you made it bigger. Much bigger! Was that necessary to get the dynamics to work, or just work better? I know that bigger is sometimes better with different kinds of dynamics, such as Real Flow for liquids. I need to know because I'll have to scale up my scene to match the hair.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Oldcode; 02-02-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Simple Simon

Hi,

This was a character a client wanted for one of their poker games. This was a toy they had been given years ago by the daughter of an old friend of theirs, and they wanted it immortalized.

FiberFX crashed like mad while I was working on it, but as I recall, all of the bugs I filed against FiberFX were fixed around the time I finished the render. And I did find my way around the crashing issues while I was building it. This was with an early version of 11.x on a Mac.

I gotta say, the final render is *perfect*. This looks just like the weird little doll on their table, down to the shiny, oily, old hair.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 9.47.37 AM.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	132169

-Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Hey Jason,

Thanks a lot. I've taken a look and the hair reacts very well! But in looking at your scene file, I can't seem to figure out how you did it. Can you explain what steps you took to get the hair to react the the dynamics? I take it that layer 3 is the splines, and the other layer is the strandmaker curves, but I don't see any of the settings that Ruud talked about such as parenting or Metalink.
    Hi Oldcode

No problem, Their were a few issues with your scene. No it wasn't necessary to make it bigger. i just did that because you were in a 20mm grid size. I wanted to make it a 1m grid size that's all. It has no effect on if dynamics will work or not. I do find that dynamics works better if you use an object that's a lot bigger. Using the 1m grid size works well

All you have to do is the following steps

- First I opened up your model and changed the layer names so I knew which layer was the spline guides and which one was the 2 point poly chains (which is the one you want to use)
    - Now open your scene and choose the 2 point poly chain object, you can hide the spline guide object
    - First go to the object/properties/FX tab and remove clothFX
    - make sure you have the 2 point poly chain object selected, now under the FX Tools tab to menu under bullet click on item properties

Bullet Settings Panel

- now choose edit and click on add from layout selected
    - change the type to deforming
    - collision margin = 5mm
    - Mass Distribution = Vertices
    - Density = .2
    - Shape Retension = Gradient Texture Map (Click on the T)

Texture Editor Panel
    - layer Type = Gradient
    - Input Parameter = Weight Map
    - Weight Map = strand_weightmap
    - click anywhere in the gradient adding one
    - Value = 1%
    - Parameter = 100%
    - close the texture editor

Bullet Settings Panel

- Shape lock = Translation and Rotation
    - Linear Stiffness = 50%
    - Angular Stiffness = 1.0%
    - Damping Coefficient = 3.0%
    - Volume Scalling = 100%
    - Volume Conservation = 0%
    - Friction = 50%

That should do it, You can adjust the settings as you like. The setting above work best with the hair guides that I scaled up to the 1m grid size

Hope this helps
    Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by jboudreau; 02-02-2016 at 10:16 AM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Hey Jason,

Thanks a lot. I'll give that a try. One last stupid Question...

Is it possible to parent the 2 point poly chain object to another object, like a skull cap geometry?

Thanks again,

OC

Hey Jason,

Thanks a lot. I'll give that a try. One last stupid Question...

Is it possible to parent the 2 point poly chain object to another object, like a skull cap geometry?

Thanks again,

OC
    Absolutely, Just take your skull cap and link it to your 2 point poly chain object. Select the Skull Cap and set it to a kinematic body under the FX Tools/Bullet.Your skull cap should now follow your hair guides.

On another note I would do the opposite though. I would link the 2 Point Poly chain to the skull cap, Set the skull Cap to kinematic body and animate the skull cap moving around. The 2 point poly chains should follow.
    Turn off Enable Dynamics so you can animated the Skull Cap this way it won't recalcuate the dynamics as you try and animate, Then once the animation is done turn it back on to view the dynamics. Remember to reset the dyamics after animation. I explain how to do this below.

You could also add a null object, link the 2 point polygon chain to the skull cap and then link the skull cap to the null. Set the skull cap to kinematic Body, turn off Enable Dynamics and animated the null. Turn on Dynamics to see the result. If you have to continue animating turn off Dynamics first. Make your changes to the animation and then turn on Dyamics. To see the new animation with Dynamics you need to go into the bullet properties and click on reset. This will reset the dynamics so it will now recalculate to include the new animation. If you don't reset you might see some messed up dynamics where you added the new animation.

Here is a scene of the above procedure

Hair_Dynamics_Linked_SkullCap.zip

Hope this helps
    Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by jboudreau; 02-02-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

Cool! Thank you again! Now that makes me wonder, instead of fixing the 2 point poly chains to the skull cap, could I use this same technique to character's head directly?

Thanks.

Cool! Thank you again! Now that makes me wonder, instead of fixing the 2 point poly chains to the skull cap, could I use this same technique to character's head directly?

Thanks.
    Yes, that way the hair will collide with the side of the face, forehead, neck etc.

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Windows 7 x64

For collision, you'll probably want to make a copy of just the head and use that as a hidden Kinematic object. For best results, be sure to seal the geometry at the neck and eye sockets if they're open. FYI, I prefer to use a lower res proxy for my collision objects to speed up calculations.

Technically, you can use deforming geometry for collision but it will be painfully slow to work with and the result may be only marginally better. The time difference in using a parented/Kinematic proxy object for collision can be a couple of minutes vs. hours, so deforming collision usually isn't practical for real production work.

G.

Thanks Jason, and Thanks to you Greenlaw,

The idea for a proxy has got me really excited. Since I import poser figures into Lightwave via PoserFusion, I didn't think I'd be able to use a proxy mesh, but when you mentioned it, I remembered I have a poser figure that is designed for just this very purpose.

Poser has its own dynamic hair system, but its the only significant part of a poser scene that PoserFusion can't import into Lightwave. Somebody came out with a figure that fits over the main figure's head and is used as proxy for poser hair collisions. Although the dynamic hair can't be imported, the proxy head can, so I'll just add that to my poser scene and parent the 2 point poly object to that, making it invisible for rendering, but it should make the hair bullet dynamics go much faster!

Can't wait to get home to try it!

So I decided to take a minute and just try shading and lighting this hair in Octane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hairOctane.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	132178  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    illuminatedtools.com My great light probe Library.

That's pretty neat.

Funny, I've had Octane for LightWave in my computer for years but didn't bother with it because my graphics card was too under-powered to make it practical. Then last summer I finally upgraded the card to speed up mocap processing but I totally spaced out on the fact that I can now use Octane too. Duh.

Guess I need to check it out this weekend.

G.

Hey Chilton,

That's a cute little thing you've got there, not sure what it is, but its cute!

That's a really cool looking image of the hair Wellsichris! Wish I could get Octane, but I really should get that little operation for the wife.

Jason,

Thanks again. I looked at your files and tried to get it to work. The only problem I ran into was when I used the skull cap that I created from the poser figure's head, some of the hairs were bouncing around like crazy. Only when I did not use the skull cap as a collision object did the problem go away. I'm hoping that the proxy mesh will work better because its really low poly compared to the skull cap. That's why most of you guys who do Lightwave create and rig your own characters rather than something like moving poser figures which are way too poly heavy sometimes.

Anyway, check out that I was able to do.

Still a long way to go before I can get it to work on a poser figure, but I've made tremendous progress thanks to this tread!

Thanks everybody!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Chris... ... ...that looks Awesome! 

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Hi,

Just a little quick test using octane in lightwave.
    Must render a little bit more to avoid noise(only 20 sec/frame), and the youtube compression is poor on this but the result is not bad.

Last edited by scratch33; 02-03-2016 at 06:16 AM.

The render is linear, switch to sRGB

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast