Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Share FiberFX results!

Quote Originally Posted by ruud View Post
    That having said, I still disagree with a lot of you guys that FiberFX isn't competing with the other packages out there, the stability is awsome and with the right touch everything is possible.

thanks!
    Hi Ruud. It's not even about the tools for me, I style my hair guides in Zbrush so no need for editing guides in Lightwave. Unfortunately I think fiberfx does not look good and it's too difficult for most people to get decent or predictable results. Even with sasquatches limitations, it produced very usable results even with default settings and certainly resulted in something that more approximated hair then ffx does. I also don't feel that ffx responds to lighting in a realistic way. I am really hoping that this is much better in 2016 when we are rendering actual render geometry instead of a pixel filter or volumetric.

But just for the sake of the discussion, I have a thing I'm working on at the moment so maybe later this week I can post some renders with ffx if I get some time. Have a deadline coming up but I will try.

you'll get radically different results with the FFX shader and shadow settings using different light types which isn't suppose to happen in a physically accurate context. If you are making semi real toon stuff, I guess ffx could work out in some cases. I think the PBR rendering may help narrow down the complexity for setting up the shading. But the rest is up to designing a physically accurate shader solution.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I don't want it to be too shiny because it will get a wet-look or dirty look, nice in a rain scene though...
    this varies quite a lot.
    - younger people often have more shiny hair
    - artificial colored hair can get very shiny
    - Afro hair is not shiney
    - treated Afro hair can be Very shiny
    - Chinese have natural Very shiny hair
    - and of course, hair with oil, water, gel
    - light setup / surroundings

https://www.google.no/search?hl=no&s...ny+hair+people

beer also gives you shiny hair, as of B vitamins

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

by the way, thank You for sharing!

haven't got the time this weekend i think, but some proposed tweaks >

this said, i think this render is pretty good, not perfect due FFX limits. but very good (!)

there is also FiberFX for Octane that renders better / much faster
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ber-FX-Example

not trying to derail from LW FiberFX, but worth a mention

Yeah, the renders look really good. With dynamic movement in an animation, it would look great! Ruud's hair unfortunately I can't use. The shape of the head he used is too different from model I'm using, so I'm just going to start mine from scratch.

Here's a picture of the V4 model from DAZ with the Radiant Jaguar Hair model. I'm brought both of them into LW Modeler where I use the hair model as a guide to make my hair guides for FiberFx and/or Sasquatch.

Here's a quick picture in Modeler. I've separated the locks of hair to different layers so I can use them to trace out my hair guide curves. I hope to copy all the guides into a single layer and then use them with FiberFx. It's turning into a lot of work, but if it does work, I can duplicate any hair model that's already out there and make it dynamic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poser V4 hair model.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	131916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radian Jaguar Hair in Modeler.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	131915  

Hi Ruud

Thanks for posting the scene, it looks great, I made a few adjustments to the FiberFX settings in your scene. I think it makes a big differences especially with highlights in the hair. Let me know what you guys think.

The changes I made are the following

Clusters 5 instead of 10
    Self Shadow 40% instead of 100%
    Cast Shadow 40% instead of 2%

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hair_Render_002.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	547.4 KB 
ID:	131917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hair_Render_001.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	402.3 KB 
ID:	131918

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Can´t resist...

so once we got the hair quality in order, how do we instance a group of dudes or girls swaying their hairs? ...that is a challenge.

Hey guys,

Here's some progress on creating the hair guides from my other hair model. I'm going to put in about 30 guides, and have done about 12 so far. You can already see its starting to look like the original hair model. Can't wait to try it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Hair Guide Progress.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	131924  

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Can´t resist...

so once we got the hair quality in order, how do we instance a group of dudes or girls swaying their hairs? ...that is a challenge.
    Ah yes, corrected with a superior version.

Hey Everybody,

In the spirit of sharing, here is the guides I created by tracing out the Radiant Jaguar Hair from DAZ. When I use FiberFx, I get pretty decent results. My only problem is I can't get dynamics to affect the guides.

I've tried both ClothFx and Bullet, but hair strands are totally unaffected. I think I skipped the step where you use the first point in the hair guide as an anchor point. Can anybody explain how I make my anchor points? I think it involves copying the hair to a second layer and deleting all first point in each line, but I'm not sure.

Thanks, and I hope somebody finds my hair model useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Oldcode and thanks for sharing, for your problem, just hit strandmaker and you have your 1point polys in place ;-)
    Do you also have a scenefile with the FBX settings?

For dynamics, keep your splines, and use the strandmaker result to add dynamics. Then you parent your splines to the strandmaker (in Layout) and add Metalink (Objects/Deform tab) to the splines. Now the splines will follow your dynamic guides. This can also be done with a lot less strands than your splines layer, Layout then just follows the nearest points.

Looking forward to your results!
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

Thanks Ruud! I had no idea what the tool was called. Thanks to you, I was able to find a a couple of YouTube videos that explained the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtDyMrz7O4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKiYp9x-pQ

I'll give it another try tonight.

Hey Ruud,

Thanks again for the info. I tried following your directions but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Would you mind taking a look?

Thanks in advance,

RJH Guides.lwo

Hair Move Test.lws

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Hey Ruud,

Thanks again for the info. I tried following your directions but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Would you mind taking a look?

Thanks in advance,
    Hi Oldcode

Here is a scene file with your hair guides using bullet dynamics. Hope this helps.

Hair_Move_Dynamics.zip

Thanks,
    Jason
    VFX Artist / 3D Animator
    Animatrix Productions

Dell T7600 Dual XEON E5-2687W 3.8GHz / Dell M6700 i7 -3940XM 3.9GHz
    64GB Ram / 32GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro K5000 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M
    Windows 7 x64

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast