Thread: reverse entire timeline

reverse entire timeline

is there a way to reverse the entire time line for a scene? the reverse key option in graph editor reverses all keys but it does not position them correctly.
    i have about 20 scenes, in each there are multiple key frames for multiple objects and just enough needs tweaked that a straight reverse render will not work.

if this cant be done natively has anyone produced a plugin or a script that i can purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Rellim1138 View Post
    is there a way to reverse the entire time line for a scene? the reverse key option in graph editor reverses all keys but it does not position them correctly.
    Inverting the keys in the graph editor produces expected results on my end. Are you sure you have all the channels in all selected objects added to the bin and their keyframes selected prior to performing this action?
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    Inverting the keys in the graph editor produces expected results on my end. Are you sure you have all the channels in all selected objects added to the bin and their keyframes selected prior to performing this action?
    Are you thinking about Keys > Invert Selected Keys?

Compare these screen-shots:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap1.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	131661

Name:	Snap2.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	131660

They are wrong. Clearly visible.

reversing keys in the graph editor will reverse each individual channel selected, y position will reverse as will x and z however they will not reverse in respect to each other and the in and out keys will remain in their current position on the time line.
    what i want to do is reverse everything so that the entire scene is reversed.
    think about an animation showing a engine showing how it is assembled. 20 plus scenes showing individual parts coming together. each scene shows bolts and individual components of the engine coming together and being installed on the main object. i have completed that but now need to show it disassembling. there are a few differences in the process so i can not just play the final render in reverse but it is similar enough that reversing the time line would get be 80% there.

unfortunately i have an NDA for this project and cant post examples.

I think you can reverse the animation in the graph editor using the numeric scale command with the 'Time Scale Factor' set to -1 and the 'Time Scale Origin' set to the center time of your animation (in seconds: total frames/frame rate/2)

thank you lertola2! that is what i needed. its got some odd things going on but its enough to save me a ton of work!

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Rellim1138 View Post
    thank you lertola2! that is what i needed. its got some odd things going on but its enough to save me a ton of work!
    I don't think so it will work correctly if you are using other curves than default settings TCB Spline.
    If there is Bezier, Hermite, even Stepped, won't work correctly.
    Because they have internal parameters that tool has to inverse as well as time param.

Here is quite extreme example:

Name:	Snap2.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	131670

Name:	Snap1.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	131671
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-29-2015 at 11:03 AM.

TrueArt Support
    This is how it should be done (I wrote plugin):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap4.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	131676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap3.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	131677  

could you not just render in reverse? ie set the first frame to render as the last and the last frame as 0. step as -1
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

I just tried it and set the render global to first 100, last 0, frame step -1 and it renders in reverse if that's any help, rather than trying to fix any glitches.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0