Thread: Windows 10 and Mirage1.5 ?

Windows 10 and Mirage1.5 ?

I have a general question for Mirage owners and who have updated to Windows 10 - does it work? I'm contemplating upgrading to Win10, but I still use Mirage quite a bit and would hate to not to be able to use it anymore. Mirage of course is no being supported except by purchasing a license of TV Paint which I can't afford.

I would expect it to work, but haven't had a chance to test it yet (still wavering on the upgrade from Win7, which has been very good for me).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'm wavering too and that is one of my wavering points. Why would you expect it to work?

I installed last version of Mirage on my Surface Pro running Win 8. So, if Win 10 is an offshoot of 8, then should work. But, yah, like you, holding off on Win 10.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Just ask yourself, "what it is in Win 10 that I need that I would want to upgrade to it?" That is the question I ask myself before I upgrade something major like an OS that might break my existing programs.

I can tell you that Win 10 is not even on my radar anymore. Even ignoring the whole privacy aspect of it's now built in telemetry, I cannot recommend any OS that forces upgrades on to your system and can disable or remove installed programs that it finds as incompatible to the Win 10 OS without warning especially if you are using these programs for your business and these programs you use are no longer supported. You can at best only delay windows 10 update in the pro version alone, but after a certain time delay, updates will be forced onto your system. If you are upgrading a "Home" version then you have no choice but to be on the immediate update ring. The only ones exempted from this feature are enterprise licensees who get similar to Win 7 capabilities that can refuse updates under a LTS update channel. Honestly till this feature disabling certain updates is present in all versions of Win 10 I won't be upgrading it. If I need something in it like DX12 for games (which is really the only reason I want Win 10 at all), I'd only install it on a separate partition and dual boot between Win 7 (normal use) and Win 10 (specific DX12 gaming only).

Quote Originally Posted by Lito View Post
    I cannot recommend any OS that forces upgrades on to your system and can disable or remove installed programs that it finds as incompatible to the Win 10 OS without warning especially if you are using these programs for your business and these programs you use are no longer supported.
    It really does that? I'd be updating my home box and really don't know much about Win10 or what it offers, just thought about keeping up to date. I hardly can think of any "feature" an OS provides. I just need it to run my programs.

Yes it does do that, they assume that the majority of home users don't know or care to know what the updates are. So with the home version they just force people to say current so they are never "insecure" for not patching. The big beef comes from people more knowledgeable about updates or who might be affected by a bad update. One of the updates removed a few programs. Also MS also seemingly resets your privacy settings so you have to monitor them. One update reset some privacy setting to the default setting without warning. Just FYI you will have to agree to let them do this because it is in the EULA if you upgrade.

Some links:
    http://betanews.com/2015/11/14/has-w...-default-apps/
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...oving-software

I have no reason to go to Windows 10. I have my three computer workstations configured to avoid that possibility since I have not interest in required upgrades, spying, and goodies that I have no need for. The computer I use for the internet has three OS installed on it - Ubuntu is for the internet, Windows 7 is for graphics, animation and desktop publishing, and Windows XP is for older software including Quark Express and the Canon plug in for Mirage 1.5. My high-end water cooled workstation has Windows 7 for graphics/animation (Lightwave, Hitfilm, Vue, Mirage, Fusion), VT5, video editing (Vegas, Speed Edit, Resolve 12, Sound Forge), authoring (DVD Architect) and Ubuntu for the internet. My laptop has Ubuntu and Windows 7 installed. All workstations are networked so that when they're all in either Ubuntu or Windows 7, over 12 hard drives and 3 scanner/printers are accessible and usable from any or all of the workstations. My rule is "If it's not broke, don't fix it".

I agree. I am still on Windows 7, and my workflow is fast and dependable. It just works. Why would I upgrade to Windows 10 - especially seeing it invades my privacy to such an extent that I lose control over settings and applications installations, when I am unsure even of being able to run all my software and hardware?

There is nothing in Windows 10 to entice me to upgrade. Far from it, actually.

Last month I installed Linux Mint on a SSD - very nice, actually. Fast. Blender starts up in 0.5 seconds. Unless Microsoft removes the privacy invading junk and forced updates/settings, etc. from its latest versions, I will continue to use Win7 up until the moment I can no longer viably do so, and will then probably just switch over completely to Linux or to a Hackintosh.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Interesting points fellas.

Blog Entries
    I haven't had any problems upgrading to windows 10. I build a system and installed clean win 10 and been having issues. That's the weird thing about everything. Normally fresh installs have less problems.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

I've upgraded to win 10 after waiting a long while but I haven't had any issues with it. It works perfectly fine.