Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone use the kinect-one device with the last Nevronmotion version (Nov. 2015)

Did anyone use the kinect-one device with the last Nevronmotion version (Nov. 2015)

Now Kinect V2 is apparently supported since november 2015 ( Nevronmotion v1.1):

-> did anyone try it ?
    -> is it better the the V1 version in term of motion capture quality?
    -> The kinect one device required is it the same as the xbox-one kinect or is it a 'special' windows version ?
    -> Is it an USB adaptator required to plug it to a pC ? Which one ? compatible with Windows 10 ? Is there still anytrouble with spedific USB3 chipsets ?

So a bunch of question... any answer will be highly appreciated because it seems there is a few informations around that on newtek's website...

Thanks
    Last edited by vipvip242; 11-18-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

from what I've been reading Microsoft stopped making Kinect v2 for windows because of demand by smart people /devs and they can't fill the orders so they stopped making it and now only making Kinect for xbox one which is suppose to be same as v 2 was b4 they stopped making it which I understand supports up to six skeletal figures at once...please correct or add any info....so my question is from what i'm reading it plugs into xbox so how do you plug it into pc? I don't use xbox and don't plan to but I would like to have a cam to use with newteks software so if someone from newtek could tell us what device can be used to capture motion for this...is it only Kinect by Microsoft/ no generics yet??? what are the model numbers and what cables are needed? it says you have to have a usb 3 port for it to work....any input please...thanks in advance...

delete
    Last edited by TIMMYLYNN; 11-18-2015 at 07:24 PM.

There is an adapter from Microsoft that will allow you to plug the XB one device into a PC. I think it around 30.00

If anyone gives it a go, would be great to see the results. I tried Neveron with the original Kinect and the results were OK, but not great if I crossed limbs etc..
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Hello, just beginning on this quest. Looking for Xbox One to Windows 7, found the following on the xbox.com website. Now, no information from me on whether this works with NevronMotion:

From xbox.com:
    ------
    When you connect an Xbox One Wireless Controller to your Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 PC with a micro-USB cable, Windows will automatically download and install the drivers for the controller. If Windows is not set to automatically download device software, check for updates manually in the Device Manager:

Point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then select Search.
    Enter Device Manager in the search box, and then select Device Manager. Windows may ask you for an administrator password or to confirm your choice.

Locate and expand Microsoft Xbox One Controller.
    Right-click the expanded Microsoft Xbox One Controller and select Update Driver Software.
    Select Search Automatically for Updated Software.

Notes:

If the controller doesn't respond, try a different micro-USB cable.
    To use your Xbox One controller with your console after using it with a PC, you must re-sync the controller to the console. You can do this by using the wireless sync button or a USB cable. For details, see Connect a wireless Xbox One controller to your console.
    For Windows 10 users, the Xbox One Wired Headset and the Xbox One Stereo Headset are compatible with a PC when connected through the Xbox One controller, as long as the firmware has been updated to the latest version. To ensure you have the latest firmware for your controller and headset, see Update your Xbox One Controller.
    ---------

(( the url for this: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...ntroller-to-pc ))

Hope that helps. If I can get an xbox one and get it work, I'll post the result.
    Last edited by rkatos; 11-19-2015 at 05:28 PM.

@rkatos: your description is about the game controller, not the Kinect. You'll need the Kinect for Windows Adapter ($49) to connect the Kinect to the PC.

OK, i've ordered a kinect-one + adapter (and perhaps 2 kinect-one in a second time if the first test is decisive), and will report to this post after trying it...
    Crossing the fingers all will work as expected because with the kinect-360 (not recommended by newtek, they recommend Kinect1-for-windows device), it works but it is crappy...
    cheers

Kinect One (aka Kinect v2) is not supported by Windows 7. You will need to upgrade your OS to Window 8.1 or higher. Luckily the Windows 10 upgrade is free until next July.

You will also need a USB 3.0 controller as v2 is not compatible with USB 2.0. In my experience, if you have to add an USB 3.0 controller card, you'll need one that lets you tap into your computer's power supply. The motherboard should be a fairly recent model too because older motherboards may not have the necessary throughput for full USB 3.0 support.

Additionally, you will need a graphics card that supports DirectX 11 or higher.

Microsoft has a Kinect Configuration Verifier tool which will tell you if your computer is Kinect v2-ready. You can download this software from their website.

If your computer meets the above and is a fairly recent build, it should work fine. I have a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet computer and it's been running fine with Kinect v2.

G.

P.S., I have some information about using Kinect v1 and v2 for motion capture in the Brudders Production Log. Not Nevronmotion related but it may offer some insight on hardware/software requirements.

One more thing: if you need to extend the cable, be sure to get an Active USB 3.0 cable (aka, USB 3.0 Repeater cable.) This type of cable can boost the power/signal to maintain an steady data rate for devices connected to it. If you use a regular USB extension cable, the Kinect One (Kinect v2) will probably fail.

Thanks for these infos : indeed i've already read these contraints on other forum and my system should be ready for this ( win10, DX11 card and specific USB3.0 chipset : only renesas or intel ones apparently...).
    regards

***update*** : i' just launched the kinect-config tester and the system seems to be ok, exept the kinect-V2 adapter missing, of course... thanks for this tip, very usefull !
    Last edited by vipvip242; 11-22-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Actually the info you posted may possibly have helped me. Earlier I had tried to make a Kinect v2 work with one of my older workstations but it failed. I'm wondering if it's because the USB 3.0 card in is has the NEC chipset, not Renasas. Fortunately, we have a few spare Renesas cards here I can try out.

Thanks for the tip--this info, if it works, may allow me to try a triple-Kinect v2 configuration.

Oh, wait...Renesas is the NEC chipset. Oh, well, nevermind. I guess I should be satisfied with dual-Kinect v2 for now.

Please give us feedback too if your configuration is working : i'm curious to know if 2 ( or 3 ) kinect V2 greatly improves the mocap ( i've read 2 is necessary to get full 3D front/back movements ) : i'm looking for a shematic explantion showing the optimised positions/distances of 2/3 adapters .
    I've some free surface in front of the green screen studio, but it is not hollywood .
    If anyone find these infos, thanks to share !

FYI, you cannot use mutliple Kinect devices (v1 or v2) with Nevronmotion because it uses the Microsoft Kinect SDK. The official SDK only allows you to use one device per computer.

For multi-Kinect recording, I've been using a third party program called iPi Mocap Studio, which allows you to use up to three Kinect v1 devices on a single computer or up to four Kinect v2 devices distributed across four computers. As far as I know, iPi Mocap Studio is the only program that currently does this.

FWIW, the software works great for this--smooth motions, good feet tracking (compared to single Kinect), and relatively few errors for a wide range of motions. During 2013-2014, I used the dual- and triple-Kinect v1 system along with multi-PS Moves for head and hand tracking for digital stunt double and creature effects in a few feature films. Of course, I also use this system for my own animation shorts--my first use of multi-Kinect was back in 2011 when I made 'Happy Box', which was the first animated short created anywhere using multi-Kinect capture.

Lately, we've been experimenting with multi-Kinect v2. The main difference with Kinect v2 is that the higher resolution results in reduced noise and the wider FOV allows for a larger capture space in the same size room. The framerate is still 30 fps, so it's not ideal for very fast motions. Fortunately, Mocap Studio does well at compensating for the low framerate. Using multiple devices also helps minimize errors caused by fast motion.

I had posted more detailed info about Kinect v1 vs v2 and Nevronmotion in the LightWave blog thread last week. There's also more general info about his in the Brudders thread mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

G.

thanks a lot for these precious informations !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast