Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone use the kinect-one device with the last Nevronmotion version (Nov. 2015)

Here's a very old example of a dual-Kinect v1 test recorded back in 2011 when my daughter was five years old: Mocap with Small Child. The dual-Kinect capability was an experimental feature at the time and the developers were actually surprised that we were able to make it work with such a small subject--this version of their program was only meant to work with full grown adult bodies.

I think it worked remarkably well for early beta software that had never been tested this way before. As a matter fact, in the following release the developers responded by making changes in the code for us to improve motion capture with children.

The software has seen many advances since then--tracking is smoother and more accurate (we now have head and hand tracking) and the editing tools have been greatly improved.

that's very clean ! the problem with Ipi is the price of the-per year licence... i've seen brekel, much cheaper and without rental licence... did anyone experienced it ?
    Thanks
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

I've just received the kinect-one sensor and his adaptator : big deception, it doesn't work :
    the kinect sensor is recognised, but nothing happens when lauching studio ( active/live enabled with the kinect-one skeleton ). The same procedure worked with the Kinect 360 adapter...
    On the system (win10), the sensor is well working either with the SDK 2.0 tools and with the tryout version of Bekel bodycapture V2, which uses the SDK too...
    Any help would be highly appreciated... or is it a bug of the plugin ?

I've only recently started using v2 sensors with iPi Mocap Studio but I haven't tried a v2 with Nevron Motion yet.

From what I recall, some users reported needed to copy a certain .dll to Lightwave to make it work with v1. I don't think I had to do that (with v1) but, like I said that was some time ago. That said, I'm not sure this applies to v2.

Since I have everything set up right now, I'll try the v2 with Nevron Motion tonight and let you know how it goes.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I've only recently started using v2 sensors with iPi Mocap Studio but I haven't tried a v2 with Nevron Motion yet.

From what I recall, some users reported needed to copy a certain .dll to Lightwave to make it work with v1. I don't think I had to do that (with v1) but, like I said that was some time ago. That said, I'm not sure this applies to v2.

Since I have everything set up right now, I'll try the v2 with Nevron Motion tonight and let you know how it goes.

G.
    So lightwave 2015.3 sees the kinect one (xbox one kinect) in the VS device manager but it has no settings button (it just says "none" where the word "open" should be but the device is also "ready" and the kinect is in fact lighting up when I check mark the enable button) which should allow one to open a new window to see what the camera sees. Any ideas on that? I'm pretty sure I installed everything that needs to be installed. Windows 10 says the kinects is working properly too so, not sure where that window is.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 11-24-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Thanks guys, for following it...
    Jason : yes, you're right, it is strange : no way to open the camera in studio settings, like it was the case with V1 version and what is shown in NT tutorial " Getting start with Nevronmotion & Kinect"....
    Perhaps this version is simply not working, it would be cool if someone of Newtek could inform us about this...
    Last edited by vipvip242; 11-24-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Sorry for the cross-posting but I got it to work.

Attachment 131208

Here's my daughter waving. Here's my daughter waving. I captured this on my tablet computer running Windows 10.

It's actually pretty to easy to activate but, as mentioned in another thread, the docs make it more confusing than necessary. I'll post a quick walkthrough with a demo clip after Thanksgiving dinner today. 'Dinner' is going to be early so maybe this afternoon.

Anyway, yes it works and it definitely works better than v1.

G.

So i followed your instructions : it works : many thanks !
    Apparently the problems, on my side, were:
    * the kinect-one device was not renamed
    * the HID was not enabled

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Here's a Kinect One/NevronMotion setup tutorial I whipped up this afternoon:

Setting up Kinect One for NevronMotion in LightWave 2015

I hope it's helpful.

G.
    Thanks for posting this. Are you able to capture motions where limbs cross over each other? Lets say you were wielding an Axe above your head and then bringing it down in front of you. Or maybe standing up from a crouched position? (Like the Terminator entrance!). These types of movement caused plenty of issues for V1 and wondered if V2 improves things...
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Quote Originally Posted by stevecullum View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Are you able to capture motions where limbs cross over each other? Lets say you were wielding an Axe above your head and then bringing it down in front of you. Or maybe standing up from a crouched position? (Like the Terminator entrance!). These types of movement caused plenty of issues for V1 and wondered if V2 improves things...
    No you still get the occlusion problem. You'll still need something like IPI for most complex poses because Lightwave doesn't support merging the data from two kinects together. The hands and feet suffer the most from this, even when standing in the center of the world of the camera like you are supposed to.

Outside of that I was very impressed with how fluid the motion was in real time with a single kinect one. The only thing that stood out the most (during simple poses) is how the spine is so rigid during recording and simplistic. That can be fixed by hand if your final rig that you are retargeting to has enough spine joints. But again that defeats the purpose kinda.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 12-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Ah ok - I guess you can't expect a home baked single Kinect solution to replace a pro system! Still a very useful plugin for transferring motion data to a character though.

Ah ok - I guess you can't expect a home baked single Kinect solution to replace a pro system! Still a very useful plugin for transferring motion data to a character though.
    yeah, the Nevron Motion package is really two things, the retargeting plugin which is nice to have in your native environment to save some time. Then there is the Visual Studio addon which works with the kinect to drive motions to any object in the scene really, like a puppet, using your body (and all with nodal power at your disposal) thanks to the Visual Studio part of lightwave.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 12-02-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Are you able to capture motions where limbs cross over each other? Lets say you were wielding an Axe above your head and then bringing it down in front of you. Or maybe standing up from a crouched position? (Like the Terminator entrance!). These types of movement caused plenty of issues for V1 and wondered if V2 improves things...
    I haven't really used a single sensor since we made the original 'Happy Box' years ago, but I did find that you can get some complex poses with a single sensor by meeting it halfway.

For example, perform the pose close to what you need but keep your limbs apart just far enough so the device can register their positions. Then, in Lightwave, you should be able to offset the rotation of those limbs to complete the pose. For example, in the axe swing, keep your hands apart during capture and afterwards you can bring them together by offsetting the shoulder rotations. For the crouch pose, crouch about halfway and then offset in post to push the crouch further. (You'll probably want to design your rig with rotation offset bones built in, or use IK Boost. That or use a third party tool that allows you to layer your animation offsets.)

You can also fake some complex motions through clever editing. For example, the original version of the 'chainsaw dance' in Happy Box was recorded using a single Kinect and the performer was standing in place and only acting like he was spinning around. In LightWave, the entire rig was simply parented to a null and rotated for the 360 degree spinning motion. This motion was eventually replaced with a dual Kinect capture with real spinning motion but to be honest, there was actually very little difference between the two versions.

Another tip: try to visualize what the sensor is seeing when you perform. Remember, it can't track what it can't see but for some motions, you can help it see more by adjusting your orientation from the sensor. The sensor may be a 3D recorder but it still needs to see a limb to know how far away it is in Z-space, so make sure it can see everything it needs to to capture your pose. For example, it might be easier to record that 'terminator' crouch pose if you start out standing in a 3/4 view, making sure all limbs are at least mostly visible during the motion.

Regarding iPi Mocap Studio and mutli-Kinect, yes, these kind of motions can be captured much more accurately with multiple sensors, but even then you sometimes need to adjust your performance for the system and then tweak the motion in your animation program to get the motion really want.

In other words, don't fight the system by making performances that it can't possibly capture--that's likely to generate a lot of errors which can be very tedious to fix. Instead, adapt your performance to what the system can actually record and then enhance that performance in animation and editing. IMO, enhancing animation is usually easier and more fun than fixing a whole bunch of errors.

Hope this helps.

G.

Edit: Regarding v1 vs v2 for these kind of poses: I believe v2 can do a better job because of the improved SDK. v2 records in higher definitiion but this mostly helps eliminate or greatly reduce the jitters more than it improves capture accuracy. What would REALLY improve accuracy is a higher frame rate but unfortunately Kinect One (v2) is still records only 30 fps.

The compromised approach seems like it could work. Hadn't really considered mixing with post capture adjustments. I'll have to see if I can find someone that will loan me a Kinect V2 to experiment with!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast