Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPU Rendering in Lightwave

GPU Rendering in Lightwave

Been over at Octane forums much more lately...but have been watching from a distance at the new announcements that have been coming out recently from Rob. Looking forward to the next version of LightWave and what they might have in store for us.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks....do you think we'll see GPU rendering with this new PBR system by any chance?

I don't remember if someone pointed out the differences in GPU vs CPU. For now, they said the new PBR renderer is CPU. What would be the difference or benefit of either? Speed?

I own Octane so I am covered, but I am pretty sure that Rob said the new render engine is CPU based. I could be wrong but I thought I saw that somewhere. Personally I would like to see Lighwave take advantage of both CPU and GPU. This is one of the cool aspects of Mantra render engine for Houdini. My system has two Nvidia 980's with a fast hex core i7. I want to be able to take advantage of all the power in my system.
    The LW Beast From the East

As to what is the difference....SPEED for the $/value equation. You can get much more bang for the buck with GPU than CPU. I currently use Octane with two older Titan cards...and they scream compared to CPU VPR etc... Only issues for me is once you go GPU (at least with Octane) you can't switch back and forth easily with your assets. The PBR system is only calculated with GPU and is different in node setup etc...than standard CPU/LightWave stuff.

I agree, it would be great to have LightWave or Octane have both CPU and GPU in one engine...not sure if that's a technical issue or if there isn't any real return....meaning GPU smokes a CPU...so why would you add a volkswagon to the race with lambo's (just a strange metaphor)

Who knows...just glad to see some info coming from LW3DG and it actually seem promising in some way. Have not upgraded since 11.6 as there hasn't been any real need for my workflow/pipeline!

Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    Thanks!
    Head over to https://home.otoy.com/ and check out their live demo of Octane 3. It's a virtual machine you can view in any browser...interactively playing with it. Main menu bar upper right...Octane 3 Demo.

Quote Originally Posted by toeknee View Post
    I am pretty sure that Rob said the new render engine is CPU based.
    It was Lino and he said it is CPU-only at this time. One of the problems with GPU, at least until Unified Memory becomes mainstream, is that you are limited to the amount of VRAM of the card that has the least amount. If you have a heavy scene, it may not fit; but a CPU renderer will chew through it. IIRC, Octane 3 has a workaround for this, though.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    It was Lino and he said it is CPU-only at this time. One of the problems with GPU, at least until Unified Memory becomes mainstream, is that you are limited to the amount of VRAM of the card that has the least amount. If you have a heavy scene, it may not fit; but a CPU renderer will chew through it. IIRC, Octane 3 has a workaround for this, though.
    Thing is that LW CPU render engine uses 5-6-7x more RAM than Octane uses VRAM so comparison is tricky. I've fit massive scenes into 3,5-4GB Vram GPU Octane and LW used over 25GB with same models/textures loaded at rendertime. Also even CPU machine is limited with memory since Motherboards also have RAM limits (classic 1150 MBos are 32GB limit so for more RAM you need socket 2011 MBs or Dual Xeons).

Also Octane v2.x already have option to cache textures on HDD/Local Ram so you can chew very big scenes already i..e no need to wait for octane 3.0 for that.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by toeknee View Post
    This is one of the cool aspects of Mantra render engine for Houdini. My system has two Nvidia 980's with a fast hex core i7. I want to be able to take advantage of all the power in my system.
    Mantra is CPU only. No GPU support at all . Only some physics stuff can benefit from GPU, but always at the price of inflexibility.
    martin dulovits
    technical director

www.woogieworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Thing is that LW CPU render engine uses 5-6-7x more RAM than Octane uses VRAM so comparison is tricky. I've fit massive scenes into 3,5-4GB Vram GPU Octane and LW used over 25GB with same models/textures loaded at rendertime. Also even CPU machine is limited with memory since Motherboards also have RAM limits (classic 1150 MBos are 32GB limit so for more RAM you need socket 2011 MBs or Dual Xeons).

Also Octane v2.x already have option to cache textures on HDD/Local Ram so you can chew very big scenes already i..e no need to wait for octane 3.0 for that.
    I wasn't sure if this was me or not...but I would agree....It seems my scenes in Octane don't take up as much space as they would have in LW either. We have done some pretty heavy ArchViz scenes with only 6GB Titan cards. We really enjoy the abilities and speed of Octane for our use, compared to $8-12K Xeon Machines.

Yeah I've yet to fill up a scene to exceed 4GB of VRam, I'm loving Octane Render. The speed at which it will render DOF too is very impressive.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Thanks Lewis that was great data, I said somewhere preivously
    that LW3dG should do a Turbo Kit. Now I will refer to it as the
    Nitros edition.

But seriously, TURB as well as OCtane show the leverage of GPU

They could (LW3dG) do it as a big Toggleable in-house plugin in 2016

Surely Sims more & more need Crunch time & they can do with a auto detect

Hook towhat is actively avaible on your graphics card . surely ,thats doable!
    Last edited by ianr; 11-06-2015 at 07:44 AM.

I would be most happy if they (LWG3D) opted for Hybrid (CPU+GPU) render engine now when they are completely changing shaders, lights and render engine so lot of stuff will be incomaptible anyway but for some reason they opted for CPU only.

Just check out Mosquito GPU render engine , they evne support all MAX nodes/materials on to GPU also (not sur ehow they pulled of that but it works like Fprime did in LW, i.e. no need to change materials)
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Lino answered it in a thread...

..... ...oh, what the hell, why don't i just give you the direct link >

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1451278

For sure not for the next release. Using GPU for the render is something we still need to evaluate.
    For now, CPU is the way to go.
    not to rain on the parade, but do note though that Jay Roth said they would implement it in a few years,
    that was 7 years ago or so...

there is still the excellent Octane

and maybe Kray3 will be released some day...
    Last edited by erikals; 11-06-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I'm pretty sure Lino and Rob are aware of Redshift, the current "Graal" in terms of rendering, at least to me.

It does what LW is supposed to do, but like 20x time faster or so (I'm not kidding here, a scene that takes 20 minutes to render in LW will render in less than a minute or so in Redhshift yet with superior sampling), and it is much faster than Octane because it is a biased renderer (like LW in interpolated mode albeit you can use bf mc too).

When I say 20x time faster, I'm not even including the antialiasing part of the equation. At first you have a tendency to set your adaptive sampling like in LW or with other renders, 1-16 or 1-32 or even 1-64 (or even 1-128! ouch!) ? Well push that to 1-1024 in Redshift and you will barely notice the rendering time difference while having perfect DOF, Motion Blur, etc.. not a single pixel noise. Awesome. And for GI you can set such higher sampling rate for Irradiance caching that you can say goodbye to animated interpolated GI flicking. No noise, no flicking, and this, much faster than any renderer out there, at least to my knowledge. And forget about VRAM limitation, it does out-of-core rendering. It will go a bit slower then but.. it is still much faster than the others.

Anyway, my point here or at least my dream is that I wish Rob would get closer to the Redshift authors and pass some kind of deal to either integrate Redshift as the new "native" Lightwave renderer or at least to borrow the GPU tech part to include it into the new Lightwave renderer incarnation. That would make Lightwave incredible again with the fastest native renderer on the planet, exactly what artists, indies and small studio needs from Lightwave.

I encourage anyone who has access to Maya or Softimage (and soon 3DS Max) to actually test Redshift, this is the only way to really understand and realize and see with your own eyes what I am talking about. Until then you can't really understand or feel the pain of using any other renderer.

Cheers,
    Guy.
    guy rabiller | radfac founder/ceo | raa.tel | French Lightwavers & Studios List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast