Thread: 2015 Freezing Up Repeatedly

2015 Freezing Up Repeatedly

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else is having excessive freeze-up problems with 2015?

it mostly seems to happen when clicking a menu or item that opens a new window, panel or dialog (could be any thing-- no pattern here except a new window, panel, or dialog is being called). The "item" never appears and LW instead locks up.

The same scenes seem to operate fine on 11.6.3, so I've been using that.

I have a Boxx with a Quadro 4000. Before I start trying to update drivers, I'm wondering if the problem is actually with my machine?

Thanks, Fred G.

It seems as if something's going around. A number of users are reporting odd behavior. My 2015.3 began acting up a few days ago. Cursor menus won't stay open. Throws up a "LightWave has crashed. Send a bug report?" dialog when I shut it down on purpose. Used to get that on v10 on Vista and have been very glad that it got fixed. Now, it's back. Got bad enough that yesterday morning it wouldn't start; nor would 11.6.2. Nuked the install directory, renamed a mirror I keep and trashed configs. All seemed well, but the dialog is back again after a period of running as expected. :\
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Hey Spherical, I just finally installed and started trying to use 2015 a month or so ago, and it has never run well. But it sounds like your ran for quite a while without errors? I'm running Win7-64pro, but I do let it automatically install critical updates. Now I'm wondering if a Win update could be the culprit....

Also, I originally thought that 11.6.3 was working OK, but it did the same freeze 6 or so times yesterday afternoon-- I've also got a couple of the "LW has crashed" crashes, yesterday from 11.6.3, but more often just the freeze with no error. Probably won't help to put a v10.x back on, but this constant freezing/crashing is getting old fast.
    Last edited by fgreen; 10-29-2015 at 06:56 AM.

2015 is rock stable for me on Win7, Win8.1 and Win10, all 64bit but these installations are only temporary and controlled online. In two computers is a 970GTX installed, on the 3rd with Win7 I'm using VMware. LW 2015 and previously 11.6.2 with tons of plugins and scenes with up to 32 GB RAM utilisation are very reliable for me. Before I was using Win7 with 11.6.x on several installations also without problems. Maybel an NVidia driver update for Quadro card could cause the instability?
    Last edited by Marander; 10-29-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Marander, thanks for the reply. This is what I needed to know. If it is stable for you, it has got to be a problem on this machine.

I think I will start with the latest NVidia drivers and see if they make a difference.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    If the problem is progressive, perhaps some (semi-) static resource is gradually being depleted? Scratch disks? Backup files?

FWIW, I keep experienceing "lost config" issues, but haven't tracked 'em down yet.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Are you running 2015 or 2015.3?

FWIW, I'm not seeing a significant amount of crashing at work or at home, and I've been using 2015.3 a lot lately, mostly Bullet and Flocking sims and Instancer. I agree 2015.3 seems a little less stable than 11.6.3 was but the crashes haven't been excessive here--maybe once or twice a day, and that was under heavy usage with two or even three instances of Layout, plus Modeler and AE running.

G.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I'm running 2015.3. --Sometimes I launch via AHK (which should be equivalent to a cmd line), sometimes I click on the desktop (W7HP) icons, which are the default the installer creates. I don't know if that makes a difference.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by fgreen View Post
    Hey Spherical, I just finally installed and started trying to use 2015 a month or so ago, and it has never run well. But it sounds like your ran for quite a while without errors? I'm running Win7-64pro, but I do let it automatically install critical updates. Now I'm wondering if a Win update could be the culprit....
    Yep. No issues until the last week or so. Sometimes getting crashes when doing simple stuff: cursor menu, drag a dialogue, adjusting Limited Region in Front Face Wireframe mode, etc. Feels like a memory leak.

I never let WinUpdate automatically install anything. I have it set to check for updates and notify. Then I evaluate which ones I let it install. What with the recent push to get everyone onto Win10, and the sneaky method employed to push updates related to that as "Critical", not Recommended or Optional, I've managed to keep that to a minimum. I'll decide when to upgrade my production workstations, thanks. With the number of reports of incompatibility and workarounds, I'm not anxious to jump on the bandwagon.
    Last edited by spherical; 10-29-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain