Thread: Teaching Live Production With High School Students

Teaching Live Production With High School Students

Hello,
    I was just wondering how many other forum users teach live production in high school settings.

What sort of events do you produce?

How do you get students engaged and interested in putting the time into production work?

What aspect are your students most interested in?

Just trying to get a feel to where other schools are going with productions.

While I don't teach any events in Georgia, I do speak with a couple schools who come to our football stadium and do broadcasting. In Georgia most schools use Playon Sports and do live sports, news, and special events. They are streamed live and archived. The special events are like graduations mostly but I have saw some debates and other things like that.

Something else you can take a look at is the 'Curriculum Documents' is the learning resources area of the NewTek webpage. Inside you will find an 'Instructor Guide', 'Activities' and 'Video Notes' that will help with designing a class around the TriCaster for live production.

http://www.newtek.com/support/certif...resources.html
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Kanep,
    Last time I looked, it wasn't very robust. I will look again.

I'm not teaching it this year, my space-mate is, but we stream sports tournaments, conferences and graduation.
    Other than that, the class is responsible for chronicling the year through vids. We have a full, dedicated tv studio within which the tricaster lives.
    Students have to learn to work in a live environment.
    This space is supplemented by our 10 seat labs where we teach After Effects, photoshop, fcp, etc.

How do you get students engaged and interested in putting the time into production work?
    Some days it is harder than others. Make sure the stories are theirs and not something you've assigned. If they own it and have some pride, it can take care of itself.

What aspect are your students most interested in?
    Depends. Some only want to be in front of the camera. Few want to be the TD:too much work and focus needed. CG operator is something they all are made to do.

Fun stuff. Can be exhausting some days.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

A number of city and suburban high schools are doing this in the Chicago area. They have a group called CTEC (Chicago Television Educator Council or such).

I'm quite familiar with Oak Park and River Forest HS (my kids went there). They've got a fantastic video and film program with live newscasts on Comcast CN100 local origination channel.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

I've been teaching TV/Video Production for 18 years now at a high school in NJ. We do limited event filming due to the fact that my district follows NJ laws regarding broadcasting on the Internet involving students without proper release forms on file. I've been pushing to allow us to stream events for years and always met with resistance. We do shoot the graduation ceremony on location with a 4-camera shoot. We sell DVD's of the graduation.
    That said, we have a fully equipped studio and broadcast a daily 7 minute show every morning to the student body through our closed circuit broadcast system.
    I teach 4 levels of production and I don't have problems getting kids interested. The Advanced class produces our live daily broadcast and we go live at the last 7 minutes of class. The first half of the class is dedicated to students producing feature stories to be aired on future broadcasts. They choose the stories to cover, so they have a vested interest. Let me know if I can help you out or answer any more questions!

Jeremy Brandt

Thanks for the input!

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I've trained many teachers of different grades (Middle school - Graduate school) and I can try and reach out to them to see if they have a curriculum. That said, from memory, must do what Jeremy does in that they are different levels with the advance being a daily show.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Great music makes Great School Videos from The SoundTraxx Music Libray...

Make sure you teach your students the legalities of using copywriten music in their in-school and more importantly in life multimedia productions. Please do yourself and your students a favor and checkout the Academic SoundTraxx Music Library offer for schools...You'll be glad you did! - Shawn Lee Farrell

http://www.soundtraxxmusic.com/

TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition with NDI Camera, LightWave 11.5 + SpeedEDIT 4.2
    Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com
    Available in The NewTek Store: https://store.newtek.com/index.php/content/soundtrack-bundle.htm

Just wanted to update the information about the Academic SoundTraxx Music Library. Here's the correct reference: https://www.agsoundtrax.com/
    I rarely take ready-made lesson plans, but when I do, it's practically always this source: Teachers Pay Teachers. Just in case someone needs homework plans and worksheets for high school (I often use those to
    do my homework tasks plans for my next classes), there are many variants.
    Last edited by TerryLewis; 01-19-2020 at 11:54 PM.