Thread: Feed back of callers own voice

Feed back of callers own voice

Hi Guys
    Tricaster Mini HD4 hooked up to talkshow.
    My audio is coming out of Min into Yamaha MD12XU and my Mic goes back through that.
    I did a test by removing the mixer from the chain completely but I get the same problem.
    The hook up between Mini and Talkshow is over Ethernet.

Problem
    The callers all hear their own voice back into their headsets.
    I have an earpiece so no audio from them is going back down my Mic.

I think possible a 'routing' issue with some settings in tricaster and or talk show?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by MartinCole; 10-15-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Look up "mix minus" online or in the TriCaster manual. This is S.O.P to avoid this issue.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Need to know how all of the devices are directly connected to each other. It definitely a cabling or routing issue, but need full detail on how its setup to know where is the issue is.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi
    The Tricaster Mini is on Ethernet to Talkshow. The mini is then connected to a mixer. My mic goes into the mixer, the feed out from the mini goes into the mixer.
    I am thinking that this explanation is not good enough for you to trouble shoot. I will try the mix minus thing tomorrow (I am in New Zealand so a bit of time difference) and If I cant solve it I will make a short video talk through of the complete set up.

BTW I have read a lot of your post on this site, I am impressed (a) with your commitment to help others and (B) your knowledge level.
    Many thanks

Martin

Just guessing on what you have said so far. If the audio of the TalkShow is coming in via NET input on the TriCaster. You need to make sure that you uncheck this audio going to the AUX 1 & 2 audio mix for this NET audio slider. Then set NETWORK output to use the AUX audio mix in the Output Configuration settings.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-16-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Ok still fighting with this

Talk show coming in on Net1
    I go to settings for net one.
    I have tried every configuration possible in this window and either I still here the feedback of customers voice or I hear nothing.
    Can you tell when the setting i DO need checked on this please?
    Clearly I must have 'some' sound coming through so I can hear and others listening on the stream can hear the callers voice.

I do understand the concept of cutting out the callers voice (Mix Minus) from being sent back to them but so far cannot stop this from happening

Thank

Martin

Update
    The gear icon in the program output window

Four columns
    1. Connections 2, Video, 3, Audio, 4 Resolution
    Connection column from top down read

Stream
    Network

They are set to
    1. = Master 1,2
    2. = Master 1,2
    Stream = Master 1,2
    Network = Master 1,2 (network is checked.

Again tried a variation of these but still not success.
    Last edited by MartinCole; 10-18-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Why not have a mix minus built in to the software. Or am i missing something? The idea to use TalkShow on the net work is defeated if the mix needs a seperate audio mixer.

Well not if you want to have guests in the studio so you need extra mics. You can also take telephone calls from Mobile into the show.

I have now sorted the issue by removing the mixer completely from the set up, now I have to hook it back up again and sort the Mix Minus issue.

Onwards and upwards..... eventually !! :-)

Without a diagram of how your are connecting devices this will be difficult to figure out where the issue is. Did you purchase from a reseller? If so, they should be able to help you out.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Berger View Post
    Why not have a mix minus built in to the software.
    It's really not hard to configure a mix minus on TriCaster. You simply need to set up an aux mix that drops out the 'offending' source, and send it to the desired output (in this case, the Network output). It's virtually identical to what you'd need to do if you wanted to do the same thing on an external mixer.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    It's really not hard to configure a mix minus on TriCaster. You simply need to set up an aux mix that drops out the 'offending' source, and send it to the desired output (in this case, the Network output). It's virtually identical to what you'd need to do if you wanted to do the same thing on an external mixer.
    Well I am another 12 hours into it today alone so I would have to dispute the easy.... LOL
    I understand the routing, I understand the mix minus (Jeeze I have taken in some serious knowledge over this past week)

I have now removed the mixer so I just have Mic in and headset out. This should make it a piece if cake right .. :-)

However......this is where I am now at

I can hear myself talking through my earpiece. I must have this earpiece as this is the only way I can hear the skype callers when they call through talkshow.
    I can through routing in the tricaster get rid of my own voice, (doing a mix minus) however when I do this my voice is no longer streamed although the volume bars from my voice are bouncing on the program out.

If I then change the routing so that my voice is heard on the stream I then get my voice back in my earpiece.

There seems to be no way out of this loop.

I'm confused. Whose voice are you trying to eliminate at which point. You started out talking about trying to remove the callers own voice on the return to them via TalkShow. That's the usual approach. This has nothing to do with removing your voice, assuming you are the moderator. The normal practice is to set up an Aux output which mimics the full program audio in every respect save that it does not include the remote caller's voice. This feed what you return to the caller.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCole View Post
    Well I am another 12 hours into it today alone so I would have to dispute the easy.... LOL
    I understand the routing, I understand the mix minus (Jeeze I have taken in some serious knowledge over this past week)

I have now removed the mixer so I just have Mic in and headset out. This should make it a piece if cake right .. :-)

However......this is where I am now at

I can hear myself talking through my earpiece. I must have this earpiece as this is the only way I can hear the skype callers when they call through talkshow.
    I can through routing in the tricaster get rid of my own voice, (doing a mix minus) however when I do this my voice is no longer streamed although the volume bars from my voice are bouncing on the program out.

If I then change the routing so that my voice is heard on the stream I then get my voice back in my earpiece.

There seems to be no way out of this loop.
    You need to use the SOLO controls in this setup. Click on SOLO (hold down CTRL to multi-select) for all of the channels you want to hear in the earpiece, basically SOLO everything except your microphone.

Also, something else to check is if your earpiece has a mono connector. If it does, you will want to put a stereo to mono adapter on it. I had issues with feedback caused by the earpiece until I did this. Here is the one I used. http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-406...stereo+adapter
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

You are a master sir!!
    Problem sorted with just a few clicks (once you know what your doing of course)
    A BIG thank you for all your help.