Thread: Hi All

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi All

I have been thinking that I would like to try and do some LightWave scripting. I come from an actionscript background, but I have used C# in Unity quite a lot as well.
    I wondered if you guys could give me some pros and cons of LScript and Python and any suggestions on which you think might be best. Thanks

Python is more current. Also because you have access to other python libraries you'll be able to do more. For example, you could integrate with Shotgun. Lscript is very specific to LightWave and doesn't give you much access outside of LightWave itself.

If you decide to go the python route, you'll still need to learn and use some of lscript as you can only do some stuff by invoking the lscript command through python. But the majority of your code would still be in python.
    Last edited by ernpchan; 10-15-2015 at 05:40 AM.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Python is more current. Also because you have access to other python libraries you'll be able to do more. For example, you could integrate with Shotgun. Lscript is very specific to LightWave and doesn't give you much access outside of LightWave itself.

If you decide to go the python route, you'll still need to learn and use some of lscript as you can only do some stuff by invoking the lscript command through python. But the majority of your code would still be in python.

Ok cool that makes sense. What I am going to do then is learn lscript first as it seems easier to get things working quickly, then once I get to grips with how that all works I can then move on to Python. Does that sound like a good plan?

Sure. I used to do that. Work out the logic in lscript first and then convert it to python.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Sure. I used to do that. Work out the logic in lscript first and then convert it to python.

Cool, thanks