Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Override surface values in layout.

Override surface values in layout.

Hi All

Is there a way to control surface values from outside of the objects surface editor, so I can override values in layout?
    I hope that makes sense

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    What exactly do you want to achieve? You can use nulls or time/frame to drive surfacing nodal networks.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

As soon as you said about controlling using a null, I figured it out. Thanks so much I need to control the colour of a channel, so I am going to use three nodes one for each R G B

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by gamedesign1 View Post
    As soon as you said about controlling using a null, I figured it out. Thanks so much I need to control the colour of a channel, so I am going to use three nodes one for each R G B
    Cool. Post a screenshot of the network when you're done for the education of the newbs.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Will do!!

You can just use one null, RGB=XYZ or HPB...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Good point! Thanks

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    You can just use one null, RGB=XYZ or HPB...
    Nice. Clutter reduction.

Of course, there's 9 native channels for Objects, so one could tie, say, Diffuse/Spec/Lum to HPB , etc etc. I think ITEM COMMENT might be helpful to remind one what's what, but then the clutter is starting to build back up. One could also add comments in 1) the Surface Editor and 2) the Node Editor comment field 3) by renaming nodes extensively.

(I wish there were a DOC NODE that was just for Renaming to add explanations in the Node Editor. Although that's a bit hacky, a real node with a text field in it would be more elegant.)

Idea for custom inputs in object properties

Something that would be nice in layout is if you could add custom values to the object properties which you can then access in the surface node editor.

For example:

In the object properties panel you could add a 'Color Input' with a reference of 'my_colour'. Then in the Surface Editor using nodes you could add a 'Color Input' node and set its reference to 'my_colour'. I know this is similar to using nulls, but this could be cleaner and also you wouldn't have to clutter your scene with unnecessary nulls.

Here's an illustration to show what I mean. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inputs.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	130281

TrueArt Support
    Is there a way to control surface values from outside of the objects surface editor, so I can override values in layout?
    Take a look at Global Materials.
    http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Take a look at Global Materials.
    http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu
    That looks interesting

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I think you could actually do that, probably not as well as w/Sensei's plugin, if you used Instancing, even if for just ONE instance.

Something that would be nice in layout is if you could add custom values to the object properties which you can then access in the surface node editor.
    I asked for that years ago, and was told it wasn't possible with the current code. But things may well have changed since then.

However, nulls do have an advantage. You could drive the colour change null with another nodal network, so, say, for instance, an object could change colour at a certain time, but only if another object is within a certain distance. Your imagination is really the only limit.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    I asked for that years ago, and was told it wasn't possible with the current code. But things may well have changed since then.

However, nulls do have an advantage. You could drive the colour change null with another nodal network, so, say, for instance, an object could change colour at a certain time, but only if another object is within a certain distance. Your imagination is really the only limit.
    Yeah totally agree that NULLs do give you a lot freedom. I just would love to have a way of controlling things without having to place NULLs in the scene, but still have the same flexibility.

Indeed. I also asked for "Global Constants", that could be plugged in to any nodal network in a scene, but didn't even get a reply to that one.

Have you seen my "Bullet Time" tutorial? It shows the way quite simple node networks are actually very powerful. It's a motion based tutorial, but the techniques are equally as applicable for texturing.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast