Thread: Genoma issue with Human rig

Genoma issue with Human rig

Hey there;

So in Modeler, the bones line up perfectly. When I create the rig, or try updating it in Layout... the arms move outside the geometry. Any ideas? Anything is appreciated...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ModelerBonesFine.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	765.0 KB 
ID:	130174
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LayoutBonesJacked.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	874.5 KB 
ID:	130175

Do you use any weights maps?

Yes. The whole model is weight mapped properly to each bone, and everything works great (except the arms and hands). Because the bones are outside, the pivot points are all wrong. For now, I've just moved the hand bones forward of the geometry to get the model working. Problem is that this is a total kluge and may mess up other aspects of the character animation down the road. If there's any way to fix it... I'm all ears.

On a side note... I was all about Lightwave in the 90s. Moved to Maya with v1.0 (because of how everything in Lightwave 4-6 was klugy). Moved back to Lightwave now... hoping this isn't an omen of what I can expect.

Thank you for your help!

Wondering if the bones or skelegons had been moved after you originally rested them. Have you tried re-resting the bones in Layout? Typically, you would do this at frame zero, assuming this is your setup frame.

Save a copy of your scene, select all the bones, press Ctrl-R to un-rest and deactivate the bones. The mesh should go back to it's T-Pose or 'rest' state. If the bones are aligned to the mesh, Press R to rest and activate them again. What happens?

Technically, I think you can just press R to re-rest the bones but I like to use Ctrl-R because it both un-rests and deactivates the bones--for me, it makes it a little clearer to see what's happening. I'm not an expert rigger though so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will weigh in.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    Yes. The whole model is weight mapped properly to each bone, and everything works great (except the arms and hands).
    Is it worth Re-resting the bones.

turn off deformation
    and see if the mesh assume it default position ie with bones inside geometry - if so.
    try selecting all bones and hitting 'r' to re-rest.

edit:
    Ha Greenlaw you got there before me

edit2
    I didn't know that about Ctrl-R - cool
    Last edited by Kevbarnes; 10-06-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    "one rig to rule them all"
    PC Spec: Intel i7 X980 3.33GHz | 24Gb | ATI FirePro V5800 | W7
    https://vimeo.com/kevbarnes/showreel
    https://littlstar.com/kevbarnes
    https://www.talenthouse.com/kevbarnes

Actually, what Kevbarnes suggests about turning off Deformation to check the positions makes more sense. Makes saving the 'backup' I suggested less necessary.

Thank you all. But no joy. Nothing returns to original positions. It's actually not the geometry that is off. It looks like the bones themselves are what moved out of position. Tried turning off deformations, and re-resting the bones. Nothing. It was worth trying though...

That doesn't sound right. Could it be that something else is deforming the mesh besides the bones? Or perhaps you're only deactivating and reactivating the bones, which is not the same as un-resting and resting them. Or maybe there is an influence coming from a stray or hidden bone that you haven't selected and re-rested.

In any case, when you unrest and then rest all the bones, the mesh should get bound in its un-deformed 'rest' pose (i.e., T-Pose), even if the bones aren't actually lined up properly with the mesh. The deformation should only happen after the bones are moved from that position. If deformation is occurring on resting, you're probably seeing the affect of a bone that was rested and moved earlier and not re-rested.

I would check that there aren't any hidden bones you missed. I haven't used Genoma a lot but I know it can create a lot of extra bones in a rig.

That said, I'm not an expert in rigging so hopefully somebody who is will chime in soon.

G.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Hmm... looking at your images it does seem that its the mesh thats off, not the bones (note the position of the wrist compared to the Z centreline in top view)... Toggling off the "enable deformations" switch should tel you for sure, as the mesh will revert to its base, undeformed state.

If there's no go there though... toggle off the switches for Enable IK and MC to see if the skeleton snaps back in any way.

Else... I might be given to suspect that you've mapped the weights wrong, and that perhaps the arms geo are getting pulled by something else... move stuff around, see what happens. If thats the case, you'll need to go through the deforming bones and set their weights properly. Be aware with this that bones and joints in LW have different weighting "orders" and that LWs weight system isn't the same as mayas (explicit weights). Whie you can use that style, more common is the "part" weighting method using LW's bones own faloff.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all