Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitioning from Maya to LightWave

Transitioning from Maya to LightWave

Greetings everyone. I am going to use this thread to ask all of my silly questions about doing similar things in LightWave that I can do in Maya. My first question: Is it possible to quickly cut up an object adding edge loops like I do in the video?

Edit Edges. Under Details Tab.
    Right click and drag left or right to create new loops.

Edit: left click to move existing edge loops.
    Last edited by JoePoe; 10-02-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

You could use the Knife tool or the Bandsaw tool.

TrueArt has a tool called EasySplit but it's a commercial plugin.
    http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...-Ins/EasySplit
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Yeah, I tried Band Saw Pro but it was time consuming to do what I wanted to do. The TrueArt plugin looks cool, you can slice through geometry easily. It seams like the knife tool but better. Edit Edges is pretty much what I was looking for. I searched the help file for "adding edge loops" but nothing came up that was relevant to what I was wanting to accomplish. Thank you for the help.

The right and left buttons perform different operations with some lightwave tools.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by bellmore View Post
    Yeah, I tried Band Saw Pro but it was time consuming to do what I wanted to do.
    The one thing I like about BandsawPro is that you can have presets to automatically add a specific number of divisions at specific intervals. But it's not manually interactive like the other tools.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    The one thing I like about BandsawPro is that you can have presets to automatically add a specific number of divisions at specific intervals. But it's not manually interactive like the other tools.
    But it remembers its last state which are invoked the next time it's triggered. Priceless!

I have a question about LightWave's extrude tool. When I use extrude, the faces that I extrude are inside out. I can flip them but it seems like there should be a way to extrude and have the faces facing the correct way. I looked up the extrude tool and there doesn't seem like there is a setting that I can enable/disable the problem that I am having. The help file shows text being extruded and the faces are facing the correct way.

si,plest answer to ur second question is to use extender instead of extrude. simply hit 'e' and then move it.

Yeah- extrude is best used on a flat 2D piece of geometry. Depending on what your intention is you could also use "b" for bevel. Farhad's 'e' and then "t" for move is a good workflow to because you can keep the move tool invoked and just press "e" and immediately move it. When you first press "e" it's not evident that anything has happened, but in reality a new poly has been created on top of the selection. You don't know it did anything until you move it. Maybe not user friendly in that regard but it works.

Also.... in this particular case.... Smooth Shift.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Yep - that's Modeler. A million ways to do something.

Woooooooow, it is great to finally see Mrs.Snosrap admiring our beloved modeler. :P (No offence, just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by bellmore View Post
    Greetings everyone. I am going to use this thread to ask all of my silly questions about doing similar things in LightWave that I can do in Maya. My first question: Is it possible to quickly cut up an object adding edge loops like I do in the video?
    Additionally although not fastest for Edge Loops, have a look at Add Edges tool. (details tab) It will give you some similar options to the Split Faces tool in Maya. I can't remember if they added another split tool like that in 2015. Someone else can chime in.

And Bandsaw Pro even though old and clunkly does have some features worth learning. And it is useful in some situations.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I know it got mentioned, but I'm surprised there's not more pushing of the new-ish Edit Edges: for me it has pretty much relegated BandsawPro to the closet.

For interactivity it can't be beat.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast