Thread: What "Esclude From VStack" is good for

What "Esclude From VStack" is good for

I have been working on a project that has a lot of transparent glowing tubes overlapping to produce an abstract effect. In VPR the lines looked good but in renders I was getting bright hot spots where my objects intersected each other. This was puzzling because I thought VPR and F9/F10 renders should basically be the same. I was considering just using screen shots of the VPR window as the art but after playing around with the surface settings I found that turning on "Exclude from VStack" fixed the problem.

I never knew what this setting was for before now. Here is what the manual has to say about it: "A feature called “Exclude From VStack” for surfaces has been implemented. This way when you use polygons to replicate things like fire or space ship engine flames, these polygons are excluded from being included with the volume stack."

So this is a good option to turn on if you don't want to see the edges where transparent objects intersect each other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exclude_from_vstack.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	129707

Oops. I see I misspelled Exclude in the thread title. And I cant edit the title. How embarrassing.

So if you mapped something on to say a cone ( like spaceship engine flames ) the end of the cone or all the ploys of the cone wouldn't render?
    Like adding transparency?

I've always wondered exactly what this feature does.
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Exclude from VStack removes the refraction and internal reflection computations. It is usually employed in a nested or series of dielectrics: wine in a glass, etc. Outside of that, it has no effect.
    Last edited by spherical; 09-12-2015 at 05:14 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

That is good to know spherical. It seems like Exclude from VStack should be turned on when making overlapping transparent and glowing effects. Attached are some tests. I am getting interesting things happening in areas where the rings are overlapping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overlapping_transparency_01.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	353.8 KB 
ID:	129720

Nice stuff! I'll have to fiddle with that some.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain