Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Network Device Interface

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Network Device Interface

Thought I would get the ball rolling, the NDI open protocol from NewTek.

http://newtek.com/news-events/newsro...-workflow.html
    Last edited by kanep; 09-08-2015 at 04:07 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

--
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    a game changer of game changers

All the best luck to NewTek on this endeavor.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    a game changer of game changers.
    That term gets thrown around a lot, and I'm pretty conservative - but I am forced to agree, Jef. I've been working with this development for better than a year now, and it is stunning to contemplate. The only comparable shift in the industry in my time was the change from tape to digital workflows.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    That term gets thrown around a lot, and I'm pretty conservative - but I am forced to agree, Jef. I've been working with this development for better than a year now, and it is stunning to contemplate. The only comparable shift in the industry in my time was the change from tape to digital workflows.
    How exactly will this compare to, say, the Video Send features in the Tricaster SDK? Will it replace that? Can key and fill be sent from a computer workstation source?

Will Newtek be developing hardware converters for SDI cameras?

I see a lot of potential for this and am certain it will succeed, but I'm wondering how to get my HD-SDI cameras in to the NDI workflow... more news to come from other sources, perhaps.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

All of this and much more, but it's early days yet and I don't want to step on other announcements that will follow in weeks and months to come. Rest assured, this is going to be 'win, win', and not just for NewTek.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ZachSchuster View Post
    How exactly will this compare to, say, the Video Send features in the Tricaster SDK? Will it replace that? Can key and fill be sent from a computer workstation source?
    I can respond to part of this, at least.

Yes, the former 'AirSend' method will become obsolete in upcoming software releases. Software and systems that currently rely on AirSend to communicate with TriCaster (including LiveText for example, and also 3Play) will have to be updated to be compatible with NDI-enabled systems, software and devices. NewTek will make this all as *painless as possible for third party developers and owners of our systems. The benefits of going this route, however, are mind-boggling.

* (I was just reviewing the code required to create and add an NDI source to the network. It's 31 short lines, about half of which are merely comments.) The sheer elegance of this approach is humbling, and makes most others look like something cooked up by Rube Goldberg
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Excellent News!! Cant wait to see video demos of that new workflow!!!

This is really cool.

Hoping that the live IP over wireless vendors (LiveU, Dejero, etc) get on this bandwagon! That would be amazing!

Will TalkShow/Skype TX be part of this initiative?

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    Will TalkShow/Skype TX be part of this initiative?
    Without a doubt.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Without a doubt.
    20-input Tricaster with zero physical inputs, but add-on networked capture boxes to add 4 cameras at a time?
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Quote Originally Posted by ZachSchuster View Post
    20-input Tricaster with zero physical inputs, but add-on networked capture boxes to add 4 cameras at a time?
    Why stop at 20?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

I don't want to speculate, but consider another example of how 'this changes everything':

• A 410 or MINI with an AE verison that has NDI support has a 'mere' 8 inputs on the Switcher.
    • Any of those 8 inputs can be a mix of the 4 local hardware inputs and NDI sources (which are already plentiful, believe me), or all NDI sources if you prefer.

Now, since NDI source selection really involves selecting between all available NDI sources exposed on the network, and can happen in 'a heartbeat', you can switch - say - Input 1 from NDI source 'A' to another NDI source 'B' in the blink of an eye with a macro. This means that, even though the Switcher doesn't directly provide still more inputs, you can connect 20 or 200 sources and switch between them ... and without the expense or latency of SDI routers.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I don't want to speculate, but consider another example of how 'this changes everything':

• A 410 or MINI with an AE verison that has NDI support has a 'mere' 8 inputs on the Switcher.
    • Any of those 8 inputs can be a mix of the 4 local hardware inputs and NDI sources (which are already plentiful, believe me), or all NDI sources if you prefer.

Now, since NDI source selection really involves selecting between all available NDI sources exposed on the network, and can happen in 'a heartbeat', you can switch - say - Input 1 from NDI source 'A' to another NDI source 'B' in the blink of an eye with a macro. This means that, even though the Switcher doesn't directly provide still more inputs, you can connect 20 or 200 sources and switch between them ... and without the expense or latency of SDI routers.
    So are you saying that you could use the TriCaster mini as a converter box too then? SDI in on the mini at the field or broadcast booth and set the NDI outputs to feed back to the production truck. Basically a 4 SDI / 4 NDI out converter box/Throwdown. I have seen pricing on SDI to Fiber converters that cost more than a TriCaster mini does so this is again a BIG Gamechanger. Yummy Stuff!
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Ok stop it. Hard to get some work done with you doing this Steve...

I have been following along and thinking about some other IP based hardware/software concepts out there, StageBox for instance that is basically a Copperhead or Silverback camera back that transports over IP versus SDI/Fiber. I just had another Holy Cow moment... Universities and Schools no matter the size are going to be able to love this NDI architecture. Most schools have their network wired all over. This NDI transport will now allow the production team to grab their 4 cameras with a TriCaster mini and head to the Baseball field, Basketball arena, Chemistry class 201, Janitorial 401, anywhere there is a network jack... then someone back in master control with another TriCaster, a GFX machine, 3Play, etc will be able to completely switch the production from that master control location. That is huge guys HUGE! no truck to roll, barely a cart even for that matter.

A centralize Master Control to rule them all. Just send out camera teams with TriCaster mini's as converters to NDI.

GAME Changing!
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast