Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Network Device Interface

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    No, can I route across routers like on say a college campus. Or do both NDI devices have to reside on the same network leg.
    Aah, gotcha. I don't know the answer though. I think it's inevitable that it's something that will be considered, but I don't know the current state of affairs.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Las Vegas Toaster
    So what about some of the lighting network stuff like ArtNet or on the audio side Dante? could we someday build a massive network at a show... starting at FOH where every board is plugged into a switch and a single CAT6 is run to the stage... from there we plug into say a moving light then daisy chain it to a speaker then daisy chain it to a projector... and each item we just select what it is listening to.

So at the end of the day a production will need power cable and a massive trunk of CAT6 and that is it no other cables needed?
    Brett Beanan

Doesn't this really seem both the right way to approach it, and really - inevitable? Why wait, bring it on!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Las Vegas Toaster
    man and i have a new SDI kit I just finished making with 6000' of HD-SDI (but also I have a CAT6 case with 6000' of cable too soooo...)
    Brett Beanan

Quote Originally Posted by bbeanan View Post
    man and i have a new SDI kit ...
    One of the sweet things about NDI is that it doesn't obsolete your existing infrastructure - it extends it in ways you never dreamt of.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Las Vegas Toaster
    given the video I saw posted from IBC and this new NDI stuff, NewTek just needs to figure our how to do screen blending with a TriCaster (to do ultrawide projection screens like we did for Broadcast Minds years ago) and it would kill the Barco E2 and Vista Spyder X20 boxes (where those cost $75k to start each!)
    Brett Beanan

Also a big question for us Mini users. Maybe 410 users too. How many network input can the Mini handle before it crashes? A month ago I tried the Teradek software to receive network streams to our MINI. Had two HDMI cameras 720p/50 connected and on the Net1 and Net2 I had one JVC 650 1080i/50 8mbit/s, one Teradek 720p/50 10mbit/s and one more stream 750p/50 10mBit/s. Then I switched between the input streams and switched inside Net1 and Net2 that they got different input inside. Had no recording or stream out going. It crashed after 10 min. So I doubt that the mini can handle 8 HD streams in and 4 out plus recording. Or did I do something wrong?

Actually, it's 8 in, and 8 out (4 hardware inputs direct to output as NDI, plus the 4 mixed outputs), not 4 out.

For the record, NDI is not the same technology as the former Network In/Out, not really even compatible with it. There's some extremely clever stuff going on in the AIP (Advanced IP) Workflow announced at the same time as NDI. I can understand skepticism, because this is just plain outrageous; And there's no doubt that it would be possible to overtax a system - any system - by loading every last feature TriCaster provides to the max ... but our practical experience indicates you have to try pretty hard to do so.

We're so confident that, at least in the current versions of the development software, there isn't even a way to turn off any of the NDI outputs. You can, of course, choose not to connect to NDI inputs, though. That said, I'm not at all sure that there is any extra load on the system due to choosing an NDI source over a local hardware input. That would be an interesting thing to test, really, I must do that. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find there is negligible difference.

Recording is also a completely different system than previously, too, though obviously more recorders consume more resources - particularly disk bandwidth, though.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Las Vegas Toaster
    so what about network load? Assuming everything is keeping the highest quality one would think the bandwidth would get eaten up really quick even on a gigabit connection...
    Brett Beanan

Need update NOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Actually, it's 8 in, and 8 out (4 hardware inputs direct to output as NDI, plus the 4 mixed outputs), not 4 out.

For the record, NDI is not the same technology as the former Network In/Out, not really even compatible with it. There's some extremely clever stuff going on in the AIP (Advanced IP) Workflow announced at the same time as NDI. I can understand skepticism, because this is just plain outrageous; And there's no doubt that it would be possible to overtax a system - any system - by loading every last feature TriCaster provides to the max ... but our practical experience indicates you have to try pretty hard to do so.

We're so confident that, at least in the current versions of the development software, there isn't even a way to turn off any of the NDI outputs. You can, of course, choose not to connect to NDI inputs, though. That said, I'm not at all sure that there is any extra load on the system due to choosing an NDI source over a local hardware input. That would be an interesting thing to test, really, I must do that. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find there is negligible difference.

Recording is also a completely different system than previously, too, though obviously more recorders consume more resources - particularly disk bandwidth, though.

so what about network load? Assuming everything is keeping the highest quality one would think the bandwidth would get eaten up really quick even on a gigabit connection...
    You'd think that, wouldn't you. That's where the clever bits some in. I don't think I should comment beyond that at this time, sorry. I'll just say that we have some smart bandwidth management mechanisms in place.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Las Vegas Toaster
    Well once it hits us Trainers I am guessing it will be one heck of a training we have to do!
    Brett Beanan

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Awesome!
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I am honestly excited that everyone else is excited, and on our end our goal to make products that help change everything for our customers is our commitment.

Here is how you can help us ... Spread the word on NDI. Send it to your friends, post links on your blogs and ask others too. Contact other vendors you want to see support from and ask them to work with us. Be part of this with us, it is because we all want IP workflows that really matter (and not just SDI replacements) that we are going to change the industry. Help me help you by spreading the word.

Andrew

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    . Help me help you by spreading the word.

Andrew
    I am already preaching the word brother Andrew. And the word is Outstanding! Can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast