Thread: X-keys XK-12 with Tricaster?

2005 NewTek Demo Guru

X-keys XK-12 with Tricaster?

Does anyone know if the X-keys XK-12 shuttle/jog controller will work with Tricaster? X-keys is listed as a partner/developer on NewTek's site.
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

I've used a XK-12 on a 3PLAY, I see no reason it won't work on a TriCaster. I'm assuming a current model TriCaster that has macro capabilities.

Make sure the unit is in HARDWARE mode, then assign keyboard keys to each of the buttons and the positions on the jog/shuttle wheel. I usually assign them with lots of qualifier keys (like SHIFT + ALT + CTRL + F1) to avoid conflicts with built in TriCaster keyboard shortcuts. If I recall there are 7 'speeds' for the shuttle wheel, each 'speed' will send a different keyboard shortcut. Also there is one keyboard shortcut for a clockwise turn of the jog wheel and another for the counter-clockwise turn.

Then you can build macros to so the functions you want and assign them to the shortcuts you set on the XKey unit.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

2005 NewTek Demo Guru
    So it's not recognized as a specific piece of hardware, just another keyboard? I guess that's the reason for mapping all the commands first. Are there any DDR shortcuts/commands for "jog/shuttle" like fast forward, fast reverse, frame forward/backward? I didn't see any listed in the manual. I'm just curious how to get that feature mapped properly.

Sorry, I also meant to point out this will be on a 410AE.
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

Hi Jonathan,

Correct, X-Keys sends standard keyboard commands (as programmed into device by you). So pressing a key might send "Space Bar" or "x" or as Kane mentioned, a key sequence such as "SHIFT + ALT + CTRL + F1".

Besides learning how to program the X-Keys unit, you will need to learn TriCaster Macros that will be activated by the key presses. You may find that you need to invest a lot of time and effort to get the desired results.

We've already created a custom slow-motion replay controller with many great features included, available here: http://www.sharbor.com/rpm-12-instan...ontroller.html

I don't have an RPM-12 specific video, but the RPM-24 has similar capabilities, but without jog/shuttle dial which of course adds more speeds and more precise control - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRd3UB-DKLg

Newtek has available Macro Command Reference Guides that can assist with writing Macros of all sorts if you choose the DIY route.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

3 press conferences?! 3?! quantumvista's Avatar
    @JPulera:

This command reference you speak of, where is it stored and how is it acquired? The aforementioned great deal of time and effort has been invested with great ROI but missing some KEY functions. Specifically taking PTZ camera preset positions from the x-keys.

I had them working previously but can no longer find the stick that had the correct keystrokes programmed... and frankly, I'm tired of inadvertently changing the camera resolution and launching the FC3 Debug server. LOL!!
    If you're not outraged by all this, then you aren't paying attention.

The Macro Command Reference Guide can be downloaded from.

http://www.newtek.com/support/documentation.html

The current one is for Advanced Edition, you can find it in that download area, it is called 'Automation and Integration Guide'. If you are running Standard Edition software, a few of the macro commands will not work.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.