Thread: Noob playground: Nodal Instance Rotation/.... never mind, 'gotcha' warning/Noob alert

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Smile Noob playground: Nodal Instance Rotation/.... never mind, 'gotcha' warning/Noob alert

Just trying to get a hand on controlling instance rotation via nodes. Set up simplest possible network, but it no workee. (see JPG, scene)
    A rotating null feeds its rotation directly into........ OH WAIT.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InstanceRot.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	129286

For the education of others: if you are going to nodally control Instance rotation, be sure to set the ROTATION: MODE to UNIFORM, otherwise nothing happens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mode.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	129287
    Carry on.

(That is: nodes don't AUTOMATICALLY override all Rotation parameters just by existing. That was my mistake, I assumed that USE NODES would automatically override most values. Personally, I think it should, but tell it to the devs.)
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 08-16-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Yes this was discussed in this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....n-in-LW-2015-2

I put in a bug report on it and I was told that that it would be sent on to the team. That was in June and it is not fixed in 2015.3. I don't know if they will do anything about it if more people don't complain. Its totally confusing when you first run in to this.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    Its totally confusing when you first run in to this.
    Thanks for that. It made me feel really stupid. -er.
    ++++++++++

not the best prose, but:
    Instancer Nodal network FAILS to override rotation controls
    Instances-Nodes.zip
    If a user chooses the wrong mode when using Nodes in the Instancer, the network fails to operate. This seems incorrect to me, in that generally it seems that nodal networks override settings in the panels.

In the attached scene, the instances' rotation is controlled by a null, but setting the ROTATION/MODE to anything but Uniform negates any effect the network has.

IMO this is a design flaw, and if the destination node has an input attached, the MODE selector should be ghosted. Additionally, greater mention in the dox as to this behaviour would be appreciated.

TO REPLICATE: open the INSTANCE PARENT Object Properties, open the Instancer, try different MODES in the Rotation tab.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 08-16-2015 at 04:51 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.