Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ANN: UberCam 2.0: 360 videos, VR headset, Oculus Rift support, and more

ANN: UberCam 2.0: 360 videos, VR headset, Oculus Rift support, and more

For the past few years I've been working on some cool new stuff for LightWave, and here's one of them. This set of plugins add a ton of new rendering possibilities to your toolbox, and it doesn't require any special hardware or software other than LightWave.

There are over 85,000 Oculus Rift headsets. Over a million Cardboard headsets.
    But not nearly enough content! The VR world is a gold rush market right now and UberCam 2 lets you effortlessly create content for it.

UberCam 2 is currently LightWave-exclusive technology.

I fully expect the VR world to be overrun with LightWave based content now

UberCam 2 includes 18 new cameras and a few additional supporting features, for OSX and Windows users.

Among other things, the Immersive Camera can instantly turn any scene into a properly formatted 360 video for use with VR headsets or a panorama browser. You don't even need to have a 3D headset! Just take any existing scene, change your camera to our Immersive camera, and render!
    Here's how easy it is to set up and use:

And if you have an Oculus Rift, you can use it to look around your scene, and record your head movements, directly in Layout!

Oculus Rift Virtual Studio Tools - This lets you look around a scene and record your head movements using LightWave's Virtual Studio tools in real time!
    Oculus Rift image filter - This lets you correct barrel distortion for direct-to-rift renders.

In addition, UberCam has a ton of other cool cameras, like the 12-up camera that lets you render from 12 different cameras at a time.
    Skybox Camera - easily render a scene into the right format for creating video game skyboxes
    4-up Camera for Holographic Video Pyramids

And a ton of updates to UberCam's existing cameras. In total, UberCam adds 18 new cameras to LightWave. Check out the link and videos for more info!

http://www.liberty3d.com/2015/07/ube...adset-support/

Thank you!
    -Chilton Webb
    Last edited by ConjureBunny; 07-24-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Thank you Chilton for making UberCam 2.0 possible. Your hard works shows through in this update. I know it has been many long hours, days, weeks and a few months of getting to this point but I know you are as stoked as I am about it.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Just to confirm, if I buy an Oculus Rift, can I use it with UberCam 2.0 and LW? :
    I have been itching to buy one, but had no real use until now.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    : Just to confirm, if I buy an Oculus Rift, can I use it with UberCam 2.0 and LW?
    YES!!

It's a great excuse, IMO. Of course, you don't technically need the Oculus Rift to make immersive movies with UberCam, but if you need an excuse, it's a good one

- - - Updated - - -

Mark, I noticed this: "Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.10 LW 2015"

I, too, like to live dangerously.

There's one issue in the Ubercam viewer on the Mac I'm still working on. I nailed tracking down, but viewing is a little off. As soon as I fix that though there'll be an update that addresses it.

-Chilton

Thanks Chilton, I couldn't believe the thread title when I read it.
    Really excited about this

Are there any special requirements for hardware to run the Oculus Rift?

It still works though on a Mac?
    I will have to buy a Google cardboard, while I wait for Oculus Rift to arrive.
    Last edited by Markc; 07-24-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Well, the Oculus Rift people have their own list, but I'm running the DK2 on a Mac here just fine, and it's a mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro.

So YMMV. But a 2010 Mac Pro is probably more than sufficient. Plus, these headsets have an excellent resale value

Yeah I use a Google Cardboard viewer myself. I have a DK2 I use for some things, but the Rift is so much more convenient.

The really cool thing is that anyone can take an existing scene with a camera, swap it out with the Immersive camera, and re-render a fully immersive version of their scene. To me that's amazing.

It'd be like being able to go back to a 1950's era movie and see more of the set. Of course, this requires that you *designed* the whole set, and it's not a big facade

-Chilton

Top Dog
    Good news! I've been waiting for this.

Top Dog
    Just checking, is there an upgrade price for previous 1.x users? If no, it's still reasonably priced (and got my value from the previous version).

--- Never mind, just saw the announcement in my inbox. Thanks, L3D.
    Last edited by wesleycorgi; 07-24-2015 at 12:10 PM.

It's dirt cheap for existing users. DIRT I tells ya!

And for everyone else, it's still dirt cheap compared to what you'd pay on those "other platforms" for the same functionality.

-Chilton

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by ConjureBunny View Post
    It's dirt cheap for existing users. DIRT I tells ya!

And for everyone else, it's still dirt cheap compared to what you'd pay on those "other platforms" for the same functionality.

-Chilton
    Yes, I was surprised at the generous upgrade offer! Thanks, again.

Congratulations Chilton! The Oculus Rift support sounds very cool.

I'm not exactly sure how I personally would use this yet (I tend to assemble only what's in front of the camera,) but based on the coolness factor alone, I'll be thinking up reasons to get these tools.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how I personally would use this yet (I tend to assemble only what's in front of the camera,) but based on the coolness factor alone, I'll be thinking up reasons to get these tools.
    You know, that's *EXACTLY* what got me started down this path. I was thinking, if I didn't own one of these devices, how could I actually make money in the industry anyway. And it hit me that if I could render out the movie in the right format, I wouldn't need anything but LightWave. So the Immersive Camera was born from that.

Plus UberCam has a bunch of other cool stuff anyway. So not everything in there requires special equipment. Google is even adding spherical advertisements now, so there's money to be made, man!

- - - Updated - - -

Kids in particular are amazed by this stuff. I predict a flourishing VR market for kids' shows soon.

-Chilton

Top Dog
    The immersive stuff is some cool sh*t! Can't wait to start creating some stuff -- I love the idea that each time you discover something new when you watch a video. Because I was fumbling around on a tablet, it took me three times before I could see any of the Avengers in the example scene.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast