Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Content Directory: resetting: do we STILL have to do this?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Angry Content Directory: resetting: do we STILL have to do this?

In the 21st Century, do we STILL have to CLOSE/RELAUNCH Layout to get it to reset its Content Directory settings?

Can't we get a real, genuine, grown-up RESET BUTTON?

(Paths persisted despite resetting the root directory-- aggravating. Nothing like being forced to start the app, AGAIN.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

You could use my project switcher plugin, thats part of the OD toolset.. https://vimeo.com/129605219

or.. if you dont care about GUI... you can open the python console and use

import lwsdk
    lwsdk.command("SetContent c:\\testproject")

Not that I've ever had problems with Content Directories (probably because I'm so used to how LW deals with them).. But that tool looks very nifty, Oliver. Very cool!
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    In the 21st Century, do we STILL have to CLOSE/RELAUNCH Layout to get it to reset its Content Directory settings?
    I never had a problem with the content directory. I've always loaded scenes from diferent content directories and it always worked fine.
    What is your issue?
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Ditto... no problems. LW 11.6.3+ even asks you if you want to change to the content directory of a scene you're loading that's outside of the currently set con. dir.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

I've seen this happen with users that don't have it setup correctly.
    I use the first method as described in the manual on page 1122:

"Ways to Use the Content Directory
    Here are a couple of different ways to use the Content Directory feature:
    • Use a separate directory as the Content Directory for every project. You’ll need to create
    subdirectories for Objects, Images, and Scenes beneath it. All files relevant to the project
    would be stored here. As you change from project to project, you must also change your
    Content Directory. (Note that your project could contain a multitude of scenes.)

• Create subdirectories called MyProjects in the Objects, Images, and Scenes subdirectories
    that are created when you installed LightWave. (e.g., C:\ Lightwave\ Objects\ MyProjects,
    C:\ Lightwave\ Images\ MyProjects, etc.). Then, for each project, create identically named
    subdirectories in each of the MyProjects subdirectories and store your files accordingly.
    "
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Not here. You sure you're setting up your content properly?
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

oh corks
    Doesn't it only do this when you load and save content from/to somewhere outside the set directory structure?

Count me as being in the "Never had a single problem with it" camp.

Can't we get a real, genuine, grown-up RESET BUTTON?
    Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on this, as I can read this a number of ways; all of which don't make sense. I'm in the "never had an issue" group.

"Reset" to what?
    And, I thought you were the one who has a default Content Directory tree structure that you copy/paste to start a new project in.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

screenies

I shoulda taken a screenie at the time, but let me try to recall:
    OK, as I recall: the issue was that, after having used Layout for a while, I loaded a new scene not in the current directory path. As expected, Layout requested a confirmation that it should change the content directory. That's good. But...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cont.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	128774
    However, the original custom content paths persisted, from the FIRST session, and there was no obvious/easy way to get rid of them. I think I recreated the situation in this screenie, with a new content dir but with old custom paths. --just now, in trying to set to another content dir, I was able to populate the CUSTOM DIRS with a mix of incorrect directories, w/o loading a scene at all. (see pic 2)

Name:	cont2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	128775

This result, getting a mix of custom paths by solely switching the historical selection, can't be right, right?

It LOOKS like maybe, IF there's a non-default path, it gets preserved, but default paths get overwritten. I'd expect that when you switch content directories all the custom paths would get reset. If there's a good reason NOT to do so (existing workflows) I'd like to request a "set custom paths to default", which is slightly different than disabling "Custom Paths". --Or so it seems.

++++++++++++++++

Oh, and since I was in and out of it so often, it became really conspicuous that it would be NICE, VERY nice if Panels would have "tab persistance" -- opening on the same tab they were on when they were dismissed/collapsed.

Personally, that's what I expect from a panel. Closing a panel doesn't RESET it (to the first tab), it merely conceals it. When I see it again, it should be in the same state.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-30-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: MORE whinging

Never had a need to use custom paths myself. Why do you feel you need to set these up?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Never had a need to use custom paths myself. Why do you feel you need to set these up?
    Actually, I DON'T. I don't think I've ever made one. This is a bug that has to do the auto-detect function and changing the CD via the history triangle and switching CDs mid-session.

You're right, that's something I should have made clear in the first place: since I >don't< make custom paths, the fact that they're popping up is very baffling.

In the above post, #10, what I meant by "original custom paths" was "default paths AS FULL PATHS", not the usual meaning of 'custom paths'.

Now they're gonna revoke my communications degree.....

Okay - I think if you uncheck custom paths then, all will be well. Won't it?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Okay - I think if you uncheck custom paths then, all will be well. Won't it?
    Yeah, it'll work with the standard/default dirs then, but the paths will still be in the string fields until next time you launch (IIRC).

This is on the same level as the perennial "How do I clear out unused Surfaces?" design flaw-- it's not necessary, but it'd be nice, and more importantly, it would be CLEAR.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is a "Clear Paths" or "Reset Paths" button. Because USE CUSTOM PATHS is binary, the user may have to do a fair bit of typing if all s/he wants to do is alter/add one path, s/he would still have to clear out the other fields.

OTOH, the behaviour wherein using the history triangle ....INJECTS paths into the custom path fields, that seems more like a straight-out bug. :^\

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

more

OK, here's another example. Switched as indicated on the image, but the story continues....

Name:	cd1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	128776

So, FINE! , I'll just turn off "Use Custom Paths". Now, that would imply, --maybe I'm crazy--, that I'm NOT going to use the Custom Paths, I'm going to use the DEFAULT paths.

So, USE CUSTOM PATHS OFF, hit "+" to load an object, and this is what I see:

Name:	cd4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	128777

That's annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast