Thread: Tip to disable TriCaster warning about third party installed programs

Tip to disable TriCaster warning about third party installed programs

I work in a low-budget studio, and we cant afford to have a powerful computer sitting around doing nothing, so I use the TriCaster for other video related tasks... which means installing some third party programs.
    Unfortunately, the tricaster doesnt like this and complains about the third party programs every time it is started or goes into administrator mode. The tech support at newtek said this isnt possible to disable... but well, it is! sortof.
    This was done on a TriCaster 855 running windows 7, but I would assume it would work on similar models as well.

Note: This is a bit of a hack, be careful when mucking about in the registry! you can seriously screw up your windows install if you change the wrong thing! Im not responsible for any damage you do to your production environment!

(Content moderated ....)

I really cant fathom why newtek thinks this nag screen is a good idea...
    MAYBE if it bugged once when you install new software, but every start up is just plain irritating.

We appreciate suggestions, and efforts by members to help one another. Still, third party software is historically one of the most frequent causes of production problems and resulting customer support calls. Too, people often 'forget' to mention they have installed such applications, and it can involve a huge waste of time for all concerned. Hence the regular reminders.

Since we might encounter calls from people who have mucked up their systems while attempting to edit the registry, and since you wisely decline to take responsibility for the results (leaving NewTek to handle any consequent mischance) I've taken the liberty of editing your post. You are, of course, free to post the same advice elsewhere.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

The Tricaster is not a "powerful computer sitting around doing nothing." It is a highly-refined networked appliance designed for a very specific task.

There are plenty of movies and TV shows where the well-intentioned character disables a security protocol or overrides a safety feature because it is annoying. That character inevitably perishes in the third act.

Just saying...
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Wow, really? Here I thought that if I purchased a device, I should be able to use it how I want...

This is not "security" that is being disabled, the tricaster has no problem with that software being installed in the first place, it just complains AFTER its done. Even if that was a valid point, I havent done anything to the tricaster software itself, just some modifications to windows (which is BTW, made by a third party...).

Besides, any issues with third party software can be fixed with a simple reinstall, which is probably the first thing tech support requests to be done anyway.

Please newtek, don't behave like the phone companies, this is an earnest request.
    And if you think that giving your users too much freedom is a bad thing, take a look at some of the incredible software that has grown out of open source communities.
    Last edited by Snu; 06-23-2015 at 06:17 PM.

The entire reason for the warning is that the majority of customers would install software on it, then the system no longer works as it should, which leads to hours are spent trying to diagnose issues with support and ultimately a poor experience. The warning message makes it very up front and noticeable that we don't want you to do this. Putting a 'do not ask again' button would defeat the purpose, the point of the screen it to be very visible so that people won't install stuff on the system. But if you REALLY want to, you can, we don't stop you.

Some software will not cause issues when installed. The warnings are for tools like anti-virus, 3rd party firewalls, auto-updaters and background utilities that would and can cause problems. Of course we can't know every tool out there, so only white-listing software that is deemed okay will not trigger the warning message.

We tell people to think of their TriCaster as an appliance, not a general purpose computer. You are spending money on a tool that you want to perform as it designed to. The only way we can guarantee that is if the system stays in the state we know it to be in.
    Last edited by kanep; 06-23-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Snu View Post
    Wow, really? Here I thought that if I purchased a device, I should be able to use it how I want.
    You can, of course, use it how you want. You can even install and run software unrelated to the purpose the system was designed, built and sold for. Of course, since a great number of such applications can interfere with the primary purpose of the system, TriCaster's video mixing features may suffer. It's only appropriate that our software warns the user when there is a reasonable possibility that something with potentially adverse consequences is installed (possibly at time by some other party in the owners absence, who may then have switched off the notification - were that possible to do).

No-one is preventing you from using a screwdriver you purchased as a hammer. That's entirely up to you. In this case, though, the screwdriver is smart enough to say "Just to make sure you are aware, someone has been using me for driving nails. So if I don't work so well today that's probably why." If you really really want to drive nails with it too, you can blow past the warning with a single click. In this case, though, providing a way to disable the warning would utterly defeat it's purpose in many instances.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I also think that in some cases it would be great not to have this warning window appear.

We had to install an additional network adapter to control PTZ cameras (USB>Ethernet), the MB port was used for streaming. Due to the driver install we now get this window each time the tricaster software is starting. Not so elegant on a rental equipment for example.... end user might be easily afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    .... end user might be easily afraid.
    That's the idea.

A great number of support issues relate to people installing things willy nilly, hence the stern warning. That said, if you have a specific driver you feel should be whitelisted, you can submit a request to Fogbugz for consideration.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I am having the same issue as doctorsunshine regarding using a USB>Ethernet adapter. How do I submit a driver to Fogbugz?

I am using the Insignia NS-PU98505 from Best Buy.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....Reporting-Bugs

I'm not sure whether the public Fogbugz portal lets you mark a case as a Feature Request, or if 'Bug' is the only option. If the 'request' option is provided you'll want to choose that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

If somebody knows how to do this, send me a message, please.

Buenas tardes hermano y que es lo q se debe hcer para eliminar esas alertas a la hora de instalar programas de terceros????????

Don't do it
    Central Control - MIDI, OSC and StreamDeck control for TriCaster and 3Play - centralcontrol.io