Thread: Go ahead, pry my copy of SPEEDEDIT out of my COLD DEAD HANDS!

Go ahead, pry my copy of SPEEDEDIT out of my COLD DEAD HANDS!

I don't care what Newtek does about poor Speededit, I'm using it as long as I possibly can. The problem is the copy protection which I guess NT won't support any more. You have to contact them for a key every time you install it/reinstall it (such as after a computer crash).

I just love the dual windows, the lack of a toolbar, how you can quickly throw something together or sit forever tweaking if you want.

I have a program which de-copy protects SE. I'm not posting it, but if someone needs it please contact me here. Since the product is not, and has not, been sold for some time, I don't feel bad about this. After all, I'm not buying a competitor to speededit I just want my paid for copy to work!

And since it works fine under windows 7/8 I assume windows 10 will work too. Windows 7 alone is supported until 2020. Really love the program, but it's hardly perfect. Just like Mom and Dad.
    Last edited by DonJMyers; 06-13-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Right On! I think a few of us should "BUY" speededit from NewTek and take over the marketing and price point (lower and hit education markets hard) because nEWtEK WAS sLEWtEK when it came to marketing SpeedEDIT...

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Oh yeah, we even have the latest and greatest in our TC460. I will only teach it to the savvy student. (That equates to the student with the mindset, "No, I don't know how to do that; show me.")

I avoid Speededit, though, for all the reasons you guys use it: it's a heart throb.

I get to use Premiere, AE, fcp and motion, nowadays.
    All of them still do the render thing and not in the background.
    They have all the extra knobs and kabobs to play with for tweak-ability.

Yet, they lack that throw-together and play aspect that SE has always shown.
    It's ... just a cutter. But wow. What a cutter.

Sad... no one respects -just- a cutter.

(Chuckle, made me post.)
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Its sad to say that you wouldn't be doing your students a favor by teaching them a great editing system that no one uses.

Unfortunately, Premiere and Vegas seem to the weapons of choice nowadays. The post house I worked for in Colorado many years ago is now an all Premiere shop.

Personally, I'll keep using SE as long as it fits my work flow.

I'm with you all. I still get the job done, and make money with SpeedEDIT.
    With NewTek growing so much, I wish they would re-consider how powerful and loved SpeedEDIT is.
    They should also make a smartphone app for basic Video Editing and creativity, and call it Video Blender. (it sits next to the Toaster)
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    [email protected]

"The future's so bright, I think it's unterminated".

Quote Originally Posted by lcress View Post
    Its sad to say that you wouldn't be doing your students a favor by teaching them a great editing system that no one uses.

Unfortunately, Premiere and Vegas seem to the weapons of choice nowadays. The post house I worked for in Colorado many years ago is now an all Premiere shop.

Personally, I'll keep using SE as long as it fits my work flow.
    The mistake that many educators make is they starting having the trade school mentality.. They teach their students how to use a tool.. The real focus should be storytelling no matter what tool they are using. That is what I have always loved about SpeedEDIT.. You don't deal with the BS of importing for 4 hours.. your machine bogging down as you wait for content to load/transcode.. You just jump in and start telling your story..

Rant mode off.
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Good rant Phil. Before I retired as a university teacher, I installed video toasters and Speed Edit workstations in our university labs because they allowed us to work with students on story and creative ideas rather than tech stuff. Do everything you can to get NewTek to update and re-release Speed Edit. It's really needed!!!

What I love about SpeedEDIT is the tools I need are there and not much extra which I think makes for a faster workflow with the interface. As of the last few years I find I more often have to open Adobe Premiere to work with some of the more recent or obscure codecs. Finally, we share a common love for SpeedEDIT!

Continued development a must...

Your friend,

Shawn Lee Farrell
    Last edited by Shawn Farrell; 08-09-2016 at 12:28 AM.

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_LightPlay View Post
    They should also make a smartphone app for basic Video Editing and creativity, and call it Video Blender. (it sits next to the Toaster)
    Nope, cannot call it Blender as it's a competing (sort of) 3d app for NewTek's own Lightwave 3d.

I worked with Speed Edit for years and even tho Premier is more compatible and more predictable I miss Speed Edit. Every time I have to switch tools to do anything in Premier is like pouring salt on the wound.